Thread: Entries for the 2013 Derby!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Entries for the 2013 Derby!

Yes it's still a long way off, but today details of the horses entered for the 2013 Derby have been released. Whilst there is not yet a full list of the entries, the following press release does give further information on some of the potential runners:
    442 FOR 2013 INVESTEC DERBY

The 234th running of the Investec Derby, at Epsom Downs on Saturday, June 1, 2013, has received an entry of 442. Run over a mile and a half, the world’s most famous Classic will have a prize fund of at least £1,250,000.

Many of the world’s major owners are well-represented at the initial yearling entry stage. Sheikh Mohammed currently has the highest number of entries of any single owner, with a total of 43 hopefuls at this early stage.

Among Sheikh Mohammed’s contingent is Superfection, a half-brother to 2010 Kentucky Derby hero Super Saver, who at $1.2 million topped this year’s sale at Saratoga. Other significant purchases by Sheikh Mohammed in 2011 who hold a 2013 Investec Derby entry include a New Approach colt out of Lady Miletrian, who made 500,000 guineas at Tattersalls and a colt by the same stallion out of Ladeena, who cost 450,000 guineas at the same venue.

Sheikh Mohammed is also the founder and driving force behind Godolphin, and there are 33 initial entries under the Godolphin banner.

Pour Moi landed the 2011 Investec Derby for owners Sue Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith and the same owners are responsible for a total of 78 entries between them. Featuring among the Coolmore contingent is the dearest colt sold in Europe in 2011, by Oasis Dream out of Kassiopeia, who cost 700,000 guineas at Tattersalls.

Other purchases by the Coolmore team (also successful in the Investec Derby with Galileo in 2001 and High Chaparral in 2002) in 2011 included a 520,000 guineas son of Montjeu out of Queen Mary Stakes winner Dance Parade and a Giant’s Causeway colt out of Group Three scorer Liscanna, who was knocked down for $550,000 at Saratoga.

The victory of Pour Moi in 2011 was the first for a French-trained runner in 35 years and there are currently 48 entries hailing from the other side of the Channel. These include the most expensive colt sold in France this year, by Galileo out of US Grade One heroine Royal Highness, who went for €500,000 at Deauville and is now in training with Alain de Royer Dupre for Australian owners Waratah Thoroughbreds. Another eye-catching French entry is a 300,000 guineas son of Galileo out of the Group One-placed L’Ancresse, who is in training with Freddy Head for Sheikh Abdulla bin Khalifa Al-Thani.

The most successful current owner in the Investec Derby is the Aga Khan, who has enjoyed four victories courtesy of Shergar (1981), Shahrastani (1986), Kahyasi (1988) and Sinndar (2000). He has 28 entries for 2013 spread between Alain de Royer Dupre, Mikel Delzangles and Jean-Claude Rouget in France, plus John Oxx in Ireland.

Three Investec Derby winners have carried the colours of Khalid Abdulla to success, most recently Workforce (2010), who followed in the footsteps of Quest For Fame (1990) and Commander In Chief (1993). He is once again well-represented, with 16 entries.

Hamdan Al Maktoum also has an enviable Investec Derby record having tasted victory with Nashwan (1989) and Erhaab (1994). He has 22 entries for 2013, including one of his first horses in training with reigning champion trainer Richard Hannon.

The Queen came closest to success in the Investec Derby with Aureole, who finished runner-up to Pinza in the Coronation year of 1953, while in 2011 she was represented by 5/2 favourite Carlton House, who took third behind Pour Moi.

Her Majesty has two possible representatives in 2013, who like Carlton House are both sired by Street Cry and bred by Sheikh Mohammed.

Saleh Al Homaizi and Imad Al Sagar, successful with Authorized in 2007, have three entries this time around, while other owners to catch the eye include former ABBA star Benny Andersson, Investec chief Bernard Kantor, Manchester United and England footballer Michael Owen, who has entered a half-brother to his St Leger runner-up Brown Panther, and Pearl Bloodstock.

The figure of 442 entries is in line with recent trends and for the third year in succession is well above the 400 mark. The recent entry numbers for the Investec Derby are as follows: 2013-442; 2012-478; 2011-444; 2010-388.

There are two further opportunities to enter the 2013 Investec Derby - at the second entry stage in April, 2013, and at the supplementary entry stage, on the Monday prior to the Classic.

Andrew Cooper, Clerk of the Course and Director of Racing at Epsom Downs, commented: “We are delighted with the total number of Yearling Entries and in particular the increase in French-trained horses - no doubt due to Pour Moi's triumph this year but also perhaps to an increase in promotional activity on our part.

“We would like to extend our thanks to the Owners both large and small who continue to support the Yearling Entry - it remains the most cost-effective way of having a runner in the Investec Derby.”
    Selected leading owners in the 2013 Investec Derby

43 entries
    Sheikh Mohammed

34 Entries
    Sue Magnier (some in various partnerships with Michael Tabor, Derrick Smith, Fitri Hay, David Wachman, Mrs P Shanahan, M V Magnier)

33 Entries
    Godolphin

28 Entries
    H H Aga Khan

22 Entries
    Hamdan Al Maktoum
    Derrick Smith
    Michael Tabor

16 Entries
    Khalid Abdulla

12 Entries
    Niarchos Family

9 Entries
    Jackie Bolger

7 Entries
    Ecurie Wildenstein
    Highclere Thoroughbred Racing

6 Entries
    Bjorn Nielsen
    4 Entries
    Andrew Tinkler

3 Entries
    H R H Sultan Ahmad Shah
    Ian Balding
    Lady Bamford
    Lady Rothschild
    Saleh Al Homaizi & Imad Al Sagar
    Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa Al-Thani

2 Entries
    George Strawbridge
    The Queen

1 Entry
    Benny Andersson
    Bernard Kantor & Markus Jooste
    Cheveley Park Stud
    Owen Promotions Limited
    Pearl Bloodstock

If I do get to see a full list I will put it up.

Post Thanks / Like

PN - Ths might seem a silly question but why are there so many declarations, 95% of the horse's from the top stables will not run. Is it a case with the big stables that they are covering there bases and if one pops out that they didnt see its going to be a big, big bonus. With 43, 34 and 33 runnes coming from the top 3 stables you would imagine that they cant see the full potential in all of them yet..

Then i see the likes of Ian Balding entering 3, so in my mind he has a better idea of what preperation is needed to get his 3 runners fit and primed for the race... Is this just something the bigger stables do nowadays...???

Cheers...

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative Princess. Thanks. A few questions;
    1. How much does it cost to enter at this stage?
    2. How many foals could have been entered by the above (ie how selective have they been)?

and a more difficult one. In the last 10 years how many foals did the winning Derby owners have entered at this stage?
    Last edited by Ron; 13/12/2011 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't lay my hands on the costs for the 2013 Derby at the moment, but I do know that the cost at this stage last year was £325 per horse.

The reason so many horses are entered at the first stage is simply down to cost, it makes more financial sense to enter your best bred colts now than wait to pay the higher fees.

The breakdown of potential entry costs for the 2012 Derby (entries made in 2010) were as follows:

Option 1
    £325 due Dec 2010
    £1,000 due March 2012
    £3,000 due May 2012
    £2,500 at 5 day declaration
    Total cost £6,825

Option Two
    £8,000 due April 2012
    £10,000 due May 2012
    £2,500 at 5 day declaration
    Total cost £20,500

The final, and most expensive option, is the supplementary stage which is £75,000 due the week before the race.

Post Thanks / Like

redcgull, I meant to add that as these entries are still only yearlings, many of them will not have been broken in yet, never mind started doing any serious work. They are going by looks and pedigree only at this stage in their careers.

Post Thanks / Like

PN - To be honest after i posted i thought that i may well have answered my own question... It makes sense from a costing point of view, plus also, as you say, they havnt been broken in yet...

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

I do now have the entries list but am not allowed to post it as it is embaargoed until tomorrow.

I can, however, tell you a few bits and pieces about the sires involved.

Galileo dominates with a massive 51 (that's 36% of his crop of foals for 2010!)

Street Cry has 24 - an amazing number for a stallion based in the USA, though obviously most of these are in the ownership of Sheikh Mo

Montjeu and New Approach have 22 each

Dansili and Danehill Dancer are both on 21

Dalakhani and Teofilo both have 20

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I am more concerned with the 2012 Derby than the following year. Not much prospect of having an ante post interest in either at this stage. Given the possibility for supplementing some wonder horse that is not currently in the list, I am inclined to wait and see what actually happens with the 2012 two-year-olds before looking at 2013.

The statistics are there for everybody to read:

I would not touch any of the foreign horses (i.e. not British or Irish). On a side note, Freddie Head’s horse owned by Arc sponsor Sheikh Al-Thani would surely be much more likely to contest French races.

I would not touch any horse that has been bought on the strength of an American classic winner – so forget Superfection, half-brother to a Kentucky Derby winner. He may be targeted at an American campaign as our friends from Dubai wish to break into that arena.

Given the abysmal statistical record of Coolmore runners on Epsom Downs, it would be wiser to just ask the bookies for a price for any of their entries to win rather than taking big odds about all 78 of them. They had half the field a couple of years ago but were 2/1 to have the winner on the day (Sea The Stars won and the bet lost).

This century, the Aga Khan and Khalid Abdullah have one winner apiece, so I would wait until much nearer the race before looking at their entries. Most of the other owners that Princess mentioned have no pedigree as far as the Derby is concerned and are easily overlooked. The Queen is more likely to win it than Michael Owen.

Jackie Bolger’s nine entries are presumably all trained by her husband. They might be worth looking at for 2012 two-year-old races, especially later in the season if any of them are by New Approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone excited to see how New Approach fares at stud?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuarterMoonII View Post
    Personally, I am more concerned with the 2012 Derby than the following year. Not much prospect of having an ante post interest in either at this stage. Given the possibility for supplementing some wonder horse that is not currently in the list, I am inclined to wait and see what actually happens with the 2012 two-year-olds before looking at 2013.

The statistics are there for everybody to read:

I would not touch any of the foreign horses (i.e. not British or Irish). On a side note, Freddie Head’s horse owned by Arc sponsor Sheikh Al-Thani would surely be much more likely to contest French races.

I would not touch any horse that has been bought on the strength of an American classic winner – so forget Superfection, half-brother to a Kentucky Derby winner. He may be targeted at an American campaign as our friends from Dubai wish to break into that arena.

Given the abysmal statistical record of Coolmore runners on Epsom Downs, it would be wiser to just ask the bookies for a price for any of their entries to win rather than taking big odds about all 78 of them. They had half the field a couple of years ago but were 2/1 to have the winner on the day (Sea The Stars won and the bet lost).

This century, the Aga Khan and Khalid Abdullah have one winner apiece, so I would wait until much nearer the race before looking at their entries. Most of the other owners that Princess mentioned have no pedigree as far as the Derby is concerned and are easily overlooked. The Queen is more likely to win it than Michael Owen.

Jackie Bolger’s nine entries are presumably all trained by her husband. They might be worth looking at for 2012 two-year-old races, especially later in the season if any of them are by New Approach.
    This needle is stuck..this needle is stuck...this needle is stuck.....

Post Thanks / Like

Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Not really Ron.

I'm merely teasing QM about his stock answer when it comes to all matters Epsom related..bit like the weekly charade of DC in the commons at the despatch box during PM's refusal to answer any question time.

QM and I often cross swords and banter about what constitutes an "abysmal" Derby record and indeed the merit of certain owners having multiple runners.

Are they supporting the race or denigrating it?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Dexter, I have no problem with any owner having as many runners they like in any race as they have to pay the entry fees and it is supposedly a free World so they are not committing any offence in doing so.

I will not bother going back to the previous discussions on the subject of strike rates as the statistics are a matter of fact and have not changed.

The needle is stuck because my answer remains consistent even though the same question is raised using different words on a different thread.

Thread Information