1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Newcastle bid for Mapps

Discussion in 'Watford' started by BerksHorn, Jan 23, 2012.

1. BerksHorn

BerksHorn Member

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sp...ws/9487427.Newcastle_set_to_bid_for_Mariappa/

This is a real test for Bas. Having said that the Nosworthy purchase was not in anticipation of Mapps going and that we don't need to sell at the moment it would be a real shame if we caved in on this. Sure, everyone's got his price but with Taylor still out and no obvious replacement selling our best player this season, in such a crucial position, so close to the deadline is going to be pretty disastrous.

If he does go I hope we get a decent price for him (£3-4m) and that he doesn't go before Friday otherwise we'll get massacred by Spurs even if they play their third choice 11.

2. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

If we do a deal why don't we loan him to Newcastle for £1m and if he's successfull we could sell him for even more in the summer? :)
    At least it's creative, rather than just selling for 3m when someone like Thomson or Bennett are a year away at least from challenging for a first team spot.

3. bragantino

bragantino Active Member

So Newcastle have realised they bought the wrong Watford defender. How long has that taken?

4. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

I wonder if we could do a deal to sell him for 3-4 million but keep Mariappa on loan for the season.

Doubt it!

Worry is would Dyche get any of the money to spend on improving the squad..and if so would he spend it wisely?

5. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Adam Thompson is more than ready for a first team spot now IMO. Would agree with you on Bennett though - not 'the finished article' yet.

If a bid is forthcoming from Newcastle, I can't see us turning it down - just as I can't see us rushing for a replacement. I think the only thing we'll see in terms of defence, is Mirfin staying for a while instead of leaving as quite a few expect.

Any spare cash from this deal simply has to be used on quality creativity and quality finishing.

6. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

7. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

I was digging and found the bid for AM was GBP700.000 which is not enough.

8. Bolton's Boots

If true, 'derisory' is a more apt word!

Mind you, if they insist on bidding that low, there's more chance that he will stay. ;)

9. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looking at the Newcastle press they only see him as cover for the existing defenders.

10. Bolton's Boots

So in other words, they don't really need him & aren't likely to bid too much for him.

Good ;)

11. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

:) £700,000 is a joke, apparently we didn't even consider it...why would we?!

I doubt we'll get what we want if that's their first offer, so hopefully we won't be selling :)

12. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Hopefully, Mapps will have the same attitude as Nos and that regular first team football is what is required. I know there have been clubs where they have a club captain and a team captain, would it help our cause if we had a similar thing with JE and AM?

13. LuxWFC

LuxWFC Member

I think Mariappa would play for Newcastle...probably at right back over Simpson.

He only has 18 months on his contract so by next Summer it'll be hard to get a good deal.

14. Bolton's Boots

So where did the £700,000 rumour come from?

DAILY MAIL : Watford have turned down an initial £3million bid from Newcastle for defender Adrian Mariappa

DAILY STAR : Newcastle have made a £2million approach for Watford central defender Adrian Mariappa.

It's hard to know who to believe. :(

15. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

16. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

17. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

I heard initially it was going to be £2m, but if we are turning down a £3m bid, then well done to the board/Bas!

Some may say he's not worth £3m, but it's what he is worth to US and if we don't need to sell, we can demand what we want!

18. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

Amen to this! :)

19. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

Here's a question for a cold, wet Tuesday morning.

Whatever our asking price is, would it be better business to sell him for that much now, or to sell him for 30% less in the summer? Weighing up how much dropping out of this league will cost and how much more likely that is without Mariappa, I'd keep hold of him come what may until... May.

20. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

NNW, for that reason alone, I'd call him almost 'priceless'. We can't risk the drop, and have a much better chance with him in the team. Unless it is stupid money and we can get in a quick replacement (even if it is only on loan for the season), we should reject all offers