1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Video and Goal line appeal technology - POLL.

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Q.P.R, Apr 8, 2012.

?

Introduce goal line and video appeal technology?

1. Yes - introduce goal line and video appeal technology

2. No - leave it as it is.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Q.P.R

Q.P.R Active Member

I wanted to ask how many people would actually sign a petition to bring in video appeal technology, aswell as goal line technology into football, as far as we know the FA are working on bringing in goal line technology, but not anytime soon.

So do you want to keep football simple and leave it as it is, or introduce various goal and video appeal techology.

Testing of goal line technology:

[video=youtube;yhEnLxaGYcU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhEnLxaGYcU[/video]

2. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

100% agree we need it regardless of todays result.

3. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Goal line technology but not video appeal.

I do think human error makes the game exciting. If we bring on Video appeal it'll go from offside goals to throw ins and the game will be stopped every 10 seconds and it will be like NFL.

Hence why I voted No although I am not against goal-line tech, I have been calling for it for years since we were robbed of a CL final because of it.

4. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

You would've bottled extra time and penalties anyway. Like you did 2 years later. And 3 years later. And every year.

Oh and it was a red card for Cech and penalty for us if the goal wasn't allowed.

5. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Goal line techno yes indeedy..

But as for diving, usual fouls ect no leave it to the ref's. then IF found guilty after the game give the offenders a six game ban. It will stop within the first couple of weeks IMO. TOO many player's go down easier than the Titanic.

PS I hope the FA ban Balloteli for the rest of the season, just for that tackle the ref didn't see. He's a dirty cheating whinging spoilt ****

6. Canary f1

Canary f1 Member

Maybe each team should only get 2 appeals each game?

7. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

When Fifa removed the phrase "deliberately seeks to gain advantage" from the rules - downhill from there.

8. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

This
    GLT
    Vid tech would make Football like American hand egg

9. LTF

LTF Well-Known Member

We've seen some pretty poor decisions this weekend, it goes on every week we know that, however, we really should be complaining about more consistency from the referees and linesmen/women.

10. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

I think you need to change the question to reflect two separate points - Many of us will not fit to answering a single Yes or No.

YES to goal-line technology - It's a relatively straightforward implementation.

NO to video reviews etc - It will destroy the flow of the game and I fear it will create MORE controversy not LESS. We all have to accept that referee's make mistakes. Actually, they make fewer mistakes than the players (although listening to most managers, they lose because of the officials rather than their prima donnas scuffing a shot), not hleped by players trying to con them. Things often even out, but often don't - Still not a reason to undemine the whole game. So fans of Fulham (at ManU), QPR (at ManU), Wigan (at Chelsea) etc (all recent examples) will continue to feel injustice for their clubs over particular incidents, but it is for the sake of the whole of football. Let the game flow!

11. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Don't agree it would destroy the flow. I think that's fantasy.

It doesn't for rugby, and actually makes waiting for the decision exciting.

Limiting how many times you could do it I think would supress any doubt.

Again also works for tennis and you cannot flow much more than that.

12. connor wigham

connor wigham Active Member

thats not the way the vidio appeal (which was set up by graeme poll and outher refs) was disigned to work....the vidio appeal they wanted you had a limited appeal and you lost an appeal you got wrong so teams only used them for game changing desisions (somthing to do with how the brain works under stress???) and th time to work out an average desision is about 2 mins

and the game already is stop strat with diving and when the desision comes up on the big screen it adds to the game look at rugby league

13. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Goal line technology = Yes
    Video appeal = No.

Refs have been about since football began, all these camera angles havent.
    Why not have a deterrent. Diving, whether 1st or last minute. Send the b*stards off & ban them for 10 games. This then costs the club money in wages.
    Blatant/Cynical fouls, As above
    Anything missed by the refs can be reviewed by an independent panel with the same heavy penalties for offenders.
    Memo to refs, the top 4 do not need any help so please stop giving them every bloody decision you can.
    But please do not let football end up stop/start like american football.

14. LTF

LTF Well-Known Member

You're right about the game stopping through diving, I get so annoyed watching all the diving during 'El Classico', it disrupts the flow of play, then there's all the arguing with the ref, feel like switching off sometimes.

15. hedgeworth

hedgeworth Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I vote for none of the Poll options.

The 4th official sat in front of a TV watching the Sky/ESPN footage and replays and then speaking to the ref via their headsets would be enough for me, and could be set up for the price of a LCD TV.

This would sort out the goal line issues, offside goals, divers and most red card incidents in a couple of secs and would virtually have no impact on the game flow.

16. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The bigger problem is that most linesmen aren't professional officials. They are effectively part timers paid a couple of hundred quid a game and given very little regular training or support. Not sure how we can expect them to get every decision right when players get paid tens of thousands of pounds a week to train full time with highly paid and experienced coaches and managers to prepare for a game and then end up making at least twice as many mistakes as any of the officials do.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/14/premierleague1

Be honest, if you were going to be paid £145 for running the line at a match, how many hours of training per week would you fit around your day job to make sure you got every decision right?

17. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

100% agree. <applause>

18. The Billionth QPR Fan

The Billionth QPR Fan Well-Known Member

As someone mentioned above, have a limited amount of appeals. In cricket there is a limit of 2 appeals for each team. This means that the game will only be stopped for video reviewing a maximum of 4 times.

19. BringBackfootie

BringBackfootie New Member

Technology can easily deal with goal line throw in corners offsides without slowing the game one second, in fact the addition of this type of kit can call decisions quicker than a ref, you know when there is a goal in icehockey the ref doesn't call it,

20. TenG

TenG Member

I vote no. Leave football as it is, just come down hard on diving. Nothing like a bad decsion to get players fans worked up and lift th eatmosphere.