1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season Starts Here

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Ok so we are out of the Capitol One Cup after a disappointing defeat, Rodgers has made a mistake fielding a weaker side and has paid the price.

At this point Rodgers has no more excuses and will have to start getting results as the remaining competitions that we are in are of the highest importance.

The next round of the Europa Cup is there to aim for and if we field a strong team we should progress, at this point we cannot afford to be playing reserve or young teams in any of the competions, Rodgers needs to decide who is good enough and who is not.

The players that are deemed good enough now need to be the players chosen for every game Premier League, Europa and FA Cup game. The opportunity is now there to get a settled squad that plays week in week out, we will then start to see the transition to Rodgers thinking and a team that understands what is needed and a team that is capable of delivering a performance every week.

Yes there should be a striker introduced in January but other than that we should stick with what we have until the Summer.

So no more tinkering and trying players in different positions we now need to kick on with what we have and get points on the board and wins in the cups.

2. alexb

alexb Well-Known Member

This quote from him gives me some hope

"I have given players the opportunity to come in and shine and that is all you can do as a coach and a manager. It then becomes quite easy for me, but the problem is then that your squad is even thinner."

I think we all know which players he is referring to.....cough Cole cough Downing cough.

I think Yesil would've been a lot more effective with Suarez/Suso/Sterling beside him, instead of Assman or Downing.

3. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

I think an attacking midfielder is needed in January as well as a striker. As Rodgers says Gerrard can't play every game - and the games he is playing he isn't play AM! Shelvey is a good young player and should be used in in the Europa league and coming off the bench but he imo is our only recognised AM and that isn't good enough.

4. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Could have done with Michu, looked brilliant.

5. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I think Suso or Sahin should be used in the attacking mid role. They have the ability to unlock defences.

6. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

Sahin I agree can play it, Suso has only just been introduced to first team football though. Because Lucas is out Sahin can't play this role which shows our lack of options - I say sign someone!!

7. Jimmy Squarefoot

I really like Sahin but I have been slightly disappointed with his recent performances. Seems to be struggling to replicate his performances against West Brom and Norwich. But I do have faith in him - both he and Suso give us more composure on the ball.

Suso needs to be used sparingly but he's in the same boat as Sterling IMO - we can't afford not to play either.

The sooner Lucas comes back, the better!! <ok>

8. What if Rodgers has already decided who is good enough and who isn't...? Maybe he IS concentrating 100% on the league...?

I'm with others in wondering why, since we're not going to get top four I'd much rather go for a good cup run and finish lower in the league. I doubt the owners will see it this way though with each position in the league being worth about £1m <doh>

9. So, if we bought a DM it would free Gerrard to play further forward?

Personally, I don't think we need a CM at all, although certain individuals could perhaps be better we have plenty of cover in that area. I'm more concerned about CF and LB, I EXPECT to see at least one CF arrive, hopefully two. A LB would be good too but I put that as third priority <ok>

10. Jimmy Squarefoot

I would have thought that but he has used some big players in the EL and COC, so I think he is taking it seriously.

I disagree - I rather we progress up the league and improve on last season. We're better than just being a cup side. Would I have sacrificed last seasons Carling Cup for a top 4 place? Hell yeah - it's an indicment of the modern game but top 4 is worth more and is better for long term sustainability.

11. You said a top four place. Would you have preferred Tottenham's season to ours then considering they ended up in the same boat as us despite finishing fourth? I wouldn't, we got a trophy and qualified for the same tournament! However, I get your point and I agree that a CL place would be better than winning a trophy (in the longer term, the trophy is always a better achievement to celebrate etc).

If Rodgers was serious about winning the League Cup, why put the likes of Gerrard, Suarez and Sterling on the bench? Why not start them and take them off after an hour or so if things are going well? It is much harder to make a difference when chasing a game <doh>

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

So for me we should now start the majority of games with.......

-------------Reina-------------
    Wisdom--Skrtel--Agger--Johnson

-------------Lucas-------------
    -----Gerrard--------Allen-------

---Suarez---------------Sterling
    ------------A Striker-----------

Squad is then.....

Jones
    Suso
    Sahin
    Enrique
    Kelly
    Shelvey
    Assiadi
    Henderson
    Borini
    Robinson
    Coates
    Doni

Youngsters who now stay in the reserves.........

Morgan
    Yesil

To be sold.......

Cole
    Pacheco
    Downing
    Wilson
    Carroll
    Spearing

This is my opinion on the players who have played a major part so far this season so not including the youngsters who either have not played or just had a small part.

The squad is strong enough once we have a striker but we will then need to add quality and develop more of these youngsters for next season.

13. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

Gulucci can go on the sold list. We should look at Butland.

14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I didn't include him as he hasn't played but agree on Butland we need a young GK.

15. Hash.

Hash. pure daycent

Hmm ... I sense we're about to turn a corner <again for the 690th time in 2 seasons>

16. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

I think Rodgers may be thinking more like this.

-------------------Lucas----------------
    ----------Gerrard---------Allen----------
    ------------------Suarez----------------
    ----xxxxxx--------------------xxxxxx-----

Which I like.

------------Lucas-----------
    ----Gerrard--------Allen-----
    -----------Suarez-----------
    -Wallcot-------------Damiao-

I like the look of this. Damiao played LWF at the Olympics and was awesome. Scored 6 goals in 5 games from there.

Sterling would play plenty as well though. Walcott would get more goals at the moment. But Sterling will still play most games I reckon.

17. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Accidental duplicate post.

18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

No mate my main point is not turn a corner or look to the future, it's the opposite Rodgers now needs to get on with it, he should now know who is good enough and who is not. Ship out the ones who are not good enough buy a striker and see how we do.

I'm glad Rodgers has given players a chance and brought through the likes of Sterling, Wisdon and Suso but we need to kick on now and get as higher league position as possible and do well in the cups.

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I know he is on loan, but I think Sahin was vitally missed yesterday in our midfield. Our balance wasn't right and JOnjo is more of an AM than CM for me and can get pulled out of position, can't get back as quickly, etc.

I agree 100% on the strikers ( who doesn't at this point) but still think we need to think about our defenders as well. We had to play Hendo at RB ffs and Carra is beyond past it.

20. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

I agree Luv; and looking at the BR interviews today he seems to say the same. Talk of having now tried out young & fringe players with some good & disappointing performances he now believes he has an "even smaller squad still"

That suggests to me, the players he's written off wont get another game unless there's an attack of Ebola.