1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

From Leverkusen to...Brighton?!

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Tickler, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Tickler

Tickler Well-Known Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ger-three-year-deal-replace-Oscar-Garcia.html

Sami Hyypia has been named the new Brighton manager, signing a three-year deal with the Championship club.
    The 40-year-old former Liverpool defender was sacked by Bayer Leverkusen last season but guided them into a Champions League qualification position before leaving.
    He said: 'I've held extensive talks with the chairman Tony Bloom and chief executive Paul Barber. I have looked at the club from top to bottom and I am very impressed by what I've seen at all levels.
    'I've seen the Amex Stadium and the club's new training ground and they are amongst the best I've seen anywhere in the world. I've also already met some of the key staff including Nathan Jones, the club's head of football David Burke, and Dr Helge Riepenhoff, head of medical and sports science, and I am very much looking forward to working with all of them.
    'The chairman is ambitious and for me that is absolutely key. I am now looking forward to the challenge ahead and our aim is to take the club forward to the next level.'
    The Finn is still highly-regarded at Anfield where he spent 10 years as a player and is well connected in the British game and abroad.
    Brighton had been talking to various candidates after Oscar Garcia resigned at the end of the season. Garcia, who held informal talks with Celtic has since returned to Maccabi Tel Aviv.
    Malky Mackay, Steve Clarke, Lyon coach Remi Garde, Tim Sherwood and Chris Hughton had all been considered at Brighton but many of those names were also pushing for the chance to speak to West Bromwich Albion and Southampton.
    Hyypia was in charge of Leverkusen for two years and won 50 of his 92 games, losing 27.
    A flurry of bets on Tuesday installed him as some bookmakers’ favourite for the Brighton job.

--------------------------------------------------------

Why would he leave Leverkusen with CL experience and arguably rather high stock due to the performance of them this year for Brighton...?

2. Red and White Mac

Red and White Mac Active Member

he was sacked and looking for a job?

3. Poyet's Eleven

Poyet's Eleven Well-Known Member

this

4. Tickler

Wasnt aware he was sacked?

thought he was doing a good job?

5. Red and White Mac

Red and White Mac Active Member

it was in the first line of your post

6. Poyet's Eleven

Poyet's Eleven Well-Known Member

Was sacked after they were demolished in the CL by PSG iirc

7. Tickler

Tbh I skimmed it quickly, with it being a Daily Fail article I was hoping someone had a link to a more...trusted source

8. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Strange sacking really as at best they could finish 3rd in that league.