1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton Costa Coffee Athletic

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by typical, Jul 12, 2014.

1. typical

typical Well-Known Member

I still distrust RD and view him as some mad Frankenstein creating some bastard child out of my club, is he cleverly diverting my attention by buying shiny things to distract me?

I have the feeling I am being duped here, the franchise of CaFc is worrying me, how long before the only occupants of the valley that are English are the ones paying money over? Like some costa coffee shop in London, the club is going the wrong way, I wonder by Xmas how many of the team will be british?

Just a thought not a tirade.

2. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

It is only two seasons ago when, under Chris, the whole of the starting 11 and 4 of the 5 subs were British also the senior management team were English!

Now..... you will be lucky to hear a British accent at the training ground :(

I can't say that I can relate to this squad anymore.. I guess the difference between me and an Arsenal fan is that the nationality of the team's players does make a difference to me. For god's sake that is why I am a Charlton fan and don't support another London team just because I want to win things in the Premiership (I will leave that to the Manure/Chelski supporters in Surrey).

3. cafc4ever

cafc4ever Member

What is the fewest English players curbs ever picked for a match? Just a thought.

4. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

I agree if the likes of Morrison Jackson wiggins solly Harriott don't start it will be a further kick in the gonads for me

5. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

i've come to the conclusion that the only plus of the douche owning us is that there's a small chance that we may play good football. but this is not guaranteed.

i dont "like" charlton as much as I did under powell. there's no link with the club anymore, just me paying for stuff. it may not have been as successful (only one promotion and a 9th place finish) under powell but at least then, when i went to things like the players meal, or VG events you'd get a few players remember my name or ask after my kid. although supporting a team should be about winning and getting to the PL, 90% of us dont support cafc for that reason. if we wanted a winning team we'd go arsenal or chelsea instead.

i'd have much rather have been successful under the old regime.

6. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Wiggins isn't English.

7. Scoham

Scoham Member

English born

8. Blackheath Redcoat

Blackheath Redcoat Active Member

Rhoys (and you don't get a more Welsh name than that) has played for Wales at Under 17, Under 19 and Under 21 level, and I believe he was once called up for the full Wales squad (but didn't play). Somebody put me right on that if I'm wrong.

He may have been born in Uxbridge but I kinda figure he relates more to Wales than England.

I too am quite unhappy about the number of foreign players who have been slowly but surely infiltrated into the Charlton team. I would much rather Charlton were a team of Englishmen, or at the very least, Britons. It's even possible that by this time next year Scots will, technically, be foreigners.

It's a sign of the way football has sold out to Mammon. When the FA signed their deal with the Devil and created the Premier League it was all so foreseeable. Putting that amount of money into the game was always going to attract the mercenaries. I, among many others, said so at the time. We were told it was all for the good of the game and it would be of enormous benefit.... the money would filter down to improved training, coaching, academy facilities etc and by now England would be seriously challenging for world cups and euro championships.

Fat chance.

And so it has come to pass. The mercenaries have, indeed, come and milked the English game for all it's worth and worse than that, foreign businessmen, who know a cash cow when they see one, are also milking our game.

The England football team has forgotten how to play like Englishmen and we have so few native-qualified players that we can barely put a credible team out in the world cup.

Charlton Athletic are just one of 92 clubs going through this. Our light isn't unique and there is no escape from it. Until the day comes when the insidious influence of Sky, backed up by its greasy money, is exorcised from the English game, then the English professional footballer will become an increasingly endangered species. I, amongst others, said all this more than twenty years ago. We were laughed at back then.

Nobody's laughing now.

9. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

And isn't it hilarious that exactly the same people who slag off the England football team for being sh1t are those fawning all over Duchatelet every time he clogs our club up with yet another European journeyman <ok>

#irony

10. fruitbataddick

Possible/probable starting 11
    Pope
    Solly, Morrison, Gomez, Wiggins
    Wilson, Cousins, Buyens, Harriot
    Reza, Ventokele.

8 out of 11 are British.

11. West Stand Willy

West Stand Willy Active Member

Agree with everything you wrote, Blackheath, unfortunately Pandora's Box has been opened.

12. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

The likes of Roland Duchatelet are laughing <ok>

13. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

On a lighter note, Charlton Athletic supporter and author of Buddy, Nigel Hinton, visited my daughter's school and spoke at length about the inspiration behind his work. He happened to notice my daughter's CAFC drawstring P.E bag and proceeded to talk wistfully of his love for our wonderful club and how he attended the 1947 cup final with his grandfather. Top bloke, methinks.

Continue.

14. typical

If you want to watch Buddy (and I recommend you do) it is one of those films you can see on UTUBE. It is a very good movie.

15. Ponders Revisited

I take it you mean the one with Roger Daltrey? Yep, a top film.

Nigel Hinton's Facebook page shows Poyet, Cousins and Harriott reading one of his adventure books, and they seem engrossed in it.

16. typical

I was not going to mention Chesney Hawkes was in it as well.

17. typical

PEA I don't know if your into these things but Bill Curbishley is a very interesting character, mate of Hinton and pall bearer to one of the Krays he as you know was producer of Quadrophenia , McVicar and Buddy Song, manager of the WHo and did 15 years for a crime he did not commit.

18. Ponders Revisited

Yep, and to top it all he was manager of the mighty Led Zep. He must have some tales to tell, eh?

Didn't a young Alan C sell programmes at Who concerts?

19. typical

Yep. Alan was a little rascal himself I hear.

I always wanted to read a book about Bill Curbs as he was such a understated character. A few of the faces hold bill in very high esteem and even now I think only the stupid would try and nick his chips.

And he is worth a few bob, I did hear a rumour that he was thinking of getting involved with cafc in some capacity about 10 years ago.

20. Blackheath Redcoat

Blackheath Redcoat Active Member

Perhaps he sold a few programmes for this particular Who concert......

The Who at Charlton 1974.jpg

The Who at Charlton 1974 2.gif

The Who at Charlton 1974 3.jpg

Also playing on that day was Lou Reed, Lindisfarne, Humble Pie , Bad Company and another act that my poor old deteriorating brain cells can't bring back to mind now.

I reckon at £2.50 (about £23 today allowing for inflation) we got our moneysworth.

More than 50'000 people attended that gig, or pretty much what Charlton used to get every Saturday back in the 1950's.