1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tomorrow (my time) all this nonsense will be over

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Jul 13, 2014.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Not really looking forward to the final tomorrow as my mind has been tampered with, when you look at the overall World Cup, and we move on to the most important thing in football and that is Bristol City.

Looking at our new season from across the Atlantic I am expecting, no demand, a much better campaign than we have seen during the last 4 years. The frustration of us being perennial underachievers must end soon and this has to be the season we re-establish our self respect and I think SC is just the man to achieve what we have waited a long time to see come to fruition.

Bring it on!

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Virtually everyone on this side of the pond, and elsewhere in the world, will echo those sentiments Mike.

We're sick and tired of watching rubbish and having a billionaire owner that has made some REALLY poor decisions over the last 6 or more years whilst other little clubs do the business properly. A shining example are Rotherham, they are really on a roll.

I think it's a tougher league than last season and our home form is absolutely critical as to where we finish in the league.

Like many, I was underwhelmed by the appointment of SC, but I take my hat off to him for how quickly he turned things around when he came in. The trouble is now that we're all expecting more of the same and a playoff place at least.

So it's fast approaching the time for the good looking squad that SC has assembled, to deliver.

As for the World Cup, and just like the Premiership, I'm not interested.

3. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, I have enjoyed most of the games even if many since the group stages have been much more defensive and cautious.

To look at how different coaches set out their teams to frustrate others, yet be able to hit the opposition quickly on the break has been fascinating to see. Various formations have been used to achieve the same result and I consider that the successful teams in the next few years are unlikely to be those who have lots of possession a la Barcelona under Guardiola, but those with very disciplined shapes in midfield/defence and electric pace in midfield/attack.

And for me personally an added bonus is that my wife, who in the fourteen years since we met, has shown minimal interest and understanding - in fact a total aversion to football, now understands the offside rule, team formations, dives or no dive etc. She was very upset that Brazil capitulated so easily against Germany because it became non competitive in a couple of first half minutes.

The downside for me will be if she suddenly decides to come to Ashton Gate; cost of ticket and the loss of my safe haven!

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

The more the merrier,however tickets are going to be like gold dust this year.

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Like you I've enjoyed this years World Cup and I'm looking forward to the final tonight. Will Germany be able to do against Argentina what Holland done and contain Messi? I can't see Mertasacca (don't know how you spell it) being able to do that as he has a turning circle of a boat.
    It will be a cagey affair always is with to much at stake. But I'm hoping it will be more open than the last one.

As to us next season, I think a lot will depend on the fans as if we become impatient expecting to turn everyone over, and booing if it don't go our way it will become like previous seasons with players becoming nervous in front of us at home.

I expect us to go up and predicted second, but in all honestly as long as we are around the top eight with a chance of playoffs in the last game of the season I will be happy. Just want to see a season of at least challenging.

6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Shall be out with friends from Australia tonight for a meal.

Germany all the way for me,so slick,so quick,and deadly in front of goal.

To be completly honest this world cup is the worst i can remember.

7. tiger-emyrs-wolf

tiger-emyrs-wolf Well-Known Member

South Africa 4 yrs ago was worse

8. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed it in general but not some of the less savoury moments. Suarez biting people for example and Robben cheating..

Columbia and James Rodrigues in particular have been a joy to watch and have reminded me of why I love football, theres been some great goals and lesser teams have come to this world cup and given it a go. Englands performances are even worse on reflection and I fear we will continue to make the same mistakes for a long time to come yet.. a fearful defensive minded manager will get similar results in france 2016 and then we will start the merry go round over again, reverting back to what didn't work for us 5 years ago.!

Is football a better game now for all its enhanced athleticism and tactics..? .. Give me 80's type football anyday.

9. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

As an England supporter surely a Germany v Argentina final has to be the worst possible match up <doh>

10. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Personally I've really enjoyed the games since England were eliminated. The game times have been great for me....

Some of the footie has been fabulous but like many I am dismayed at the cheating antics of many of these complete tarts. Watching Robben's theatrics again yesterday in what is really a meaningless games is beyond embarrassing. These prima donnas have no pride in themselves.

Looking forward to the new season....so long as WSM is just a blip on the radar and not a sign of more defensive weakness.........

Loathsneyd - you are correct - hard to support either of the finalists based on our historical issues with them. Guess it's the Bosch as we rumbled with them further back in history and are generally good friends now. They also play some breathtaking stuff. The Argies are still whining about Las Malvinas.

11. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Group stages good
    Knock out games bad

12. cidered abroad

They think it's all over. Well, it is now!

13. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

So Messi, golden ball winner for player of the tournament! Am I being cynical but does the fact that he is sponsored by Adidas who are also a FIFA partner has something to do with this? Or was he really the best player at the tournament? Haven't had a good consipiracy theory for a while :emoticon-0112-wonde

14. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Agree with most on here, the group stages were very good(less England), but both Holland & Argentina turned to a very negative strategy come the knockout phase, and, yes to a degree it was successful given they finished 2&3, but as a viewing perspective it was painful. Argentina only scored 2 goals in 4 knockout games FFS, so glad they did not win

15. cidered abroad

Of course you can be cynical. Messi was nowhere near the best player; he got it because he is Messi.

And why an attacker? I thought there were some brilliant defenders who did their job skilfully and bravely. But defenders never get chosen as the stars.

16. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Can we sign Ron Vlaar from Villa? He was fantatstic in Holland's last 2 games......

17. invermeremike

Be careful loathsneyd by suggesting that conspiracies are even possible within FIFA. Are you saying that Qatar and Moscow were awarded the finals by monies under the table because if you are, and I suspect you are, then I have a message for your cynical heart.

SPOT ON!!!!!!!!

18. invermeremike

Glad to see that David Luiz proved he is worth a transfer fee of 48 million because he had to be one of the worst so called major stars at the tournament, unless of course you don't consider to believe that Louis Suarez deserves a mention. What am I saying, he doesn't deserve any mention with regard to football because he is banned from ALL football activity so he can practice his biting in private.

19. cidered abroad

PSG now have the two Brazilian centre backs, Thiago Silva and Luiz.
    And they thought they were getting the world's top central defensive partnership. Who is going to enlighten them?

20. Reliant Robin TC

Reliant Robin TC Active Member

Really no different to the quality Italy sides throughout the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Superb defence and incisive counter attack. Have a decent back 4/5 plus keeper and your half way there.

I'm surprised it's taken so long to catch on!!