1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BUILD UP AND MATCHDAY THREAD: Norwich City Vs Blackburn Rovers

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Aug 18, 2014.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Norwich City 3 - 1 Blackburn Rovers
    HT 1 - 1​

Attendance:25,835

Tuesday 19th August 2014
    Carrow Road
    Kick-Off 7:45PM

Blackburn Rovers can continue their unbeaten start to the Championship season if they avoid defeat at Carrow Road on Tuesday. Gary Bowyer's side have picked up four points out of a possible six to lie fifth in the early season table. They now travel to face a second relegated side in three games after drawing with The Bluebirds at the Cardiff City Stadium in the opening game of the season and then earning their first win over fellow Lancashire side Blackpool on Saturday.

Two goals from Rudy Gestede were enough for Blackburn to beat Lancashire rivals Blackpool

Norwich also picked up their first points at the weekend, by easing to a 3-0 victory over Watford, who had a man sent off inside the opening two minutes at Carrow Road.

Norwich City's Nathan Redmond shows the scars of battle in the 3-0 Championship win over Watford.

Lewis 'Grabs' City's second goal against The Hornets

Alex Tettey is mobbed by his teammates after scoring City's third against Watford

It will be Blackburn's third game in seven days on Tuesday as they were present in the first round of the Capital One Cup, surprisingly losing to Scunthorpe United, while Norwich received a bye and enter the competition at the second round. Neither manager has any new injury concerns, but Neil Adams might not be able to name Leroy Fer in his squad as the Dutchman is expected to soon become a Queens Park Rangers player. These two sides last met in the 2011-12 Premier League season, with the corresponding fixture at Carrow Road finishing 3-3 and Blackburn winning the game at Ewood Park 2-0. Rovers are unbeaten in 10 meetings against Norwich a run that stretches back to 1994.

Recent form

Norwich: WL
    Blackburn: WLD

Match history

These two sides have contested 36 competitive games Rovers historically having the upper hand with 17 victories to City's 9, a stalemate has occurred 10 times. Norwich have won 8 of the 17 matches at Carrow Road, Rovers have won there 3 times, 6 games have been drawn.

Rovers biggest victory was at Ewood Park in season 1992/93 where they thumped The Canaries 7 goals to 1, they achieved the same winning margin back in the 1938/39 campaign with a 6-0 rout. Ironically City's best win was in the return fixture at Carrow Road on 8th of April 1939 just before the outbreak of WWII where they ran out 4-0 winners.

Highest Aggregate result

4th September 1937 League Divison Two
    Blackburn 5 Norwich 3

3rd October 1992 Premier League
    Blackburn 7 Norwich 1

They played for both clubs

Well the most famous of the few was Chris Sutton when he moved from City to Rovers in 1994 the transfer being shrouded in controversy at the time with Sutton finally lifting the lid on the whole affair in his autobiography.

"A penny for you thoughts Mr Sutton?"

“I quickly made my mind up to sign for Blackburn and travelled up to the North West. I met the chairman, Robert Coar, at his house and signed terms on a five-year contract there and then. Norwich had agreed a fee with Blackburn and they gave me permission to talk to the club. But I wasn’t allowed to tell anyone; I was sworn to secrecy by Robert Chase.
    “I travelled back to Norwich and had a meeting with Robert Chase.
    “He told me he was going to call a press conference to stop all the speculation about me leaving the club because he had previously stated that if I wasn’t at the club for the start of the new season, then he wouldn’t be there either.
    “He also said he would make it known at the press conference that he would test the water with other clubs and if a club came up with a £5m transfer fee for me he would let me go. It was surreal because I had already signed for Blackburn.
    “I wasn’t totally comfortable with Robert Chase’s press conference but I had no choice, I had to go along with it. But it was misleading to the Norwich fans.”

Ex Norwich and Blackburn midfielder Tim Sherwood

A more recent player to have pulled on the jersey for both Rovers and City is The Canaries current first choice left back Martin Olsson.

Martin Olsson

*LATEST TEAM NEWS 18:30 18/08/14

Martin Olsson will serve the first game of a three-match suspension imposed on him after the defender accepted an FA misconduct charge following an incident in the Canaries’ opening day defeat against Wolves.

On the injury front, Neil Adams confirmed at his pre-match press conference that Jonny Howson (knee) and Gary Hooper (calf) are making good progress in their recoveries but that both will miss out on Tuesday night. City’s boss has no further fitness concerns ahead of the game.

Rovers have reported a trio of absentees – former City striker and summer recruit Chris Brown is nursing a knee injury and won’t have the opportunity to feature against his old club, Tommy Spurr is ruled out with a groin problem and Matt Kilgallon (back) will also miss the trip to Carrow Road.

*NEIL ADAMS' BLACKBURN PREVIEW

[video=youtube;IWgF1fj2lK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWgF1fj2lK4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Tonight's Team Lineups:

Norwich City

01 Ruddy
    02 Whittaker
    18 Garrido (R Bennett)
    04 Johnson 87'
    05 Martin
    06 Turner
    22 Redmond (Murphy)
    27 Tettey
    07 Grabban 23' 90'
    14 Hoolahan
    09 Lafferty (E Bennett)

Substitutes

16 Loza
    17 E Bennett
    21 Murphy
    24 R Bennett
    26 Rudd
    28 O'Neil
    29 Surman

Blackburn Rovers

01 Robinson
    06 Lowe
    14 Olsson
    29 Evans
    15 Baptiste
    05 Hanley
    10 Cairney 1'
    17 Williamson (Varney)
    39 Gestede
    11 Rhodes (King)
    32 Conway (Marshall)

Substitutes

02 Henley
    07 King
    08 Dunn
    12 Marshall
    13 Eastwood
    16 Varney
    19 Taylor

Referee

Graham Scott

“On the ball City !”

2. Kent canary

Kent canary Well-Known Member

Good thread again. Sherwood was also part of the Blackburn team that won the championship.

Robert Chase: mixed feelings these days but always full of his own self importance

3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Completely forgot about him ! <doh>

4. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

I can never bring myself to forgive him. He royally ****ed the club during it's finest period in history :mad:

5. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

It's an age thing! ;)

6. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Thread updated <ok>

7. Gee's Mullet

Gee's Mullet New Member

Hello.
    Leicester City fan here in peace. I'm holidaying in a norfolk this week and wanting to come down for the Blackburn game. Am I able to get a ticket on the night, at the ground?
    Cheers for any advice

8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

You might get lucky but we normally sell out every home match <ok>

9. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

Calling the ticket office is your best bet and collect them on the day.

10. SUPERNORWICH 23

SUPERNORWICH 23 SUPERNORWICH

Very good thread KIO............:grin:

11. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I agree<ok>

12. SUPERNORWICH 23

SUPERNORWICH 23 SUPERNORWICH

I would imagine Adams will go for the same 11 that started against Watford if all fit.

13. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Thread updated; Neil Adams interview

14. Swedish Dave

Swedish Dave Active Member

Surely a paradox?!

I used to feel the same but I wonder whether history will be more forgiving towards him. Whatever his faults, it was a fantastic time to be following NCFC.

15. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I remember a story in the pinkun at the time saying that there were approximately 30 non footballing people on the payroll being paid, on average, £100k p.a. each. How true this was I have no idea, but that would mean £3m leaving the club each year. £600,000 for Dean Windass?

16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Well I reckon that tonight's lineup will be the same as Saturday's but it's certainly not going to be the same bench !

17. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

My congrats as well KIO for another excellent match thread. Well done you. I also think it'll be the same again (except for Fer, that is).

18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Still a Yellow

RickyvanWolfswinkel &#8207;@RvWolfswinkel9 7m
    Good luck to @NorwichCityFC for tonight's game against @OneRovers
    Continue on the winning streak

......... well in soul if not in body

19. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That was above and beyond the call of duty. Good on him!

20. THURNBY CANARY

THURNBY CANARY Active Member

So we paid £8m, he scored one goal, how much did that text cost in real terms?