1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Poyet will not throw youngsters into first team

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by C19RK73, Oct 30, 2014.

  1. C19RK73

    C19RK73 Red & White army!

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2012
    Messages:
    38,528
    Likes Received:
    15,122
    Gus Poyet will give Sunderland's young stars first-team opportunities - when the time is right

    Gus Poyet will not throw Sunderland’s young stars into the first team until the club improves its Premier League position.

    But the Black Cats boss insists he is keen to hand the likes of Duncan Watmore and Tom Robson a chance when they are “ready”.

    Watmore has made one senior appearance for the Wearside outfit - January’s FA Cup win over Carlisle United - following his move from Altrincham 18 months ago.

    Left-back Robson travelled with the first-team squad for the recent 8-0 defeat at Southampton.

    But while eager to promote talent from the club’s Academy of Light into the top flight picture, Poyet - whose side dropped into the relegation zone at the weekend - says the timing and circumstances must be right.

    “If one day we’ve got a player who is 17, 18 or 19 and he’s ready, he’ll play,” said the head coach.

    “If he can perform in the same way he does for the Under-21s as he does for the first team, then he’ll play. But it depends on how you’re doing in the first team.

    “If the first team is doing OK, then you can put people in. But at the moment, no.

    “Robbo travelled with us to Southampton - what an experience that was for him!

    “It’s why the cup is perfect. I remember last year when I played Duncan and he was running and the people went ballistic.

    “I wouldn’t be afraid of playing Robbo against certain teams either. There are things he can do, but things he needs to improve too.”

    Poyet is also keen to see Sunderland’s young talent tied down to long-term contracts, thus avoiding the danger of losing players - as they did Jack Colback - under freedom of contract.

    “You know what happened in the past,” he said.

    “We need to make sure we do things a little bit better and (sporting director) Lee Congerton and the recruitment system are trying to make things easier and not find ourselves in situations where young players can leave the club.”
     
    #1
  2. Aussie blackcat85

    Aussie blackcat85 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2013
    Messages:
    2,582
    Likes Received:
    758
    Haha <cheers> tickled my fancy that one! If the first team is doing ok then he'll put them in? Gus I know you saved us last year on a miracle run but even I can't remember when we last had a decent mid table run in this league so based on our results and your transfers of late, picking favourites and being hesitant to throw youngsters in I'm skeptical brother.. The players that left the club, jack Vaughan and bards aren't missed IMHO. My opinion is with the players we've got and our system as GG pointed out to me weeks back what is it? Mate I ****ing don't know myself., I rate fletch, remember fondly his first game 2 goals against those sheep shagging ****s.. Aj bloody Aj.. Enough said? Against fulhalm last season he was a bloody beast! I remember teams talking about his influence on a game but now every fella knows he's a hit and miss.. Sadly & a 10 mill miss for SAFC. I could go on fellas but I don't wanna sound like a broken record
     
    #2
  3. clockstander

    clockstander Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2013
    Messages:
    22,303
    Likes Received:
    44,189
    He could learn a thing or two from Cardue
     
    #3

Share This Page