1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A way to 'adapt' KERS?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by nh-f1, May 11, 2011.

1. nh-f1

nh-f1 Member

It's been a while since KERS started, and it's worked well, in my opinion, I just wish they didn't sign an agreement to not use it last year. With KERS and tyres already here, we don't really need DRS. I think the overtakes aren't that spectacular, and don't really see the point of breezing past somone - what's the challenge in that? But I was thinking. Why not adapt KERS a bit so that it gives different advantages, mixing it up a bit, meaning we may not need KERS.

Ever since I've had a games console, I've had most of the Need for Speed games. As most of you know, they have Nitrous (and so did GT4 as well). I know that you can tune NO2 so that it gives a massive power boost, but for a very short time, and vice versa.

What if we could have that on the KERS? Some teams could be at a disadvantrage if they set it up wrong, but could turn out to advantage them across the distance of a lap (say a corner like Copse, the driver could apply a very low power KERS to keep a massive amount of speed going through the corner, provided they have enough downforce.) I know they'll have to do many changes as it lasts probably a main straight's distance if used all in one, but that 80bhp boost could be up too 150hp boost.

So could this work, meaning that we wouldn't have the 'unworthy' overtakes from DRS, but rather than a lose in spectacle from getting rid of it, it's greatly improved?

2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This sounds like something I'd like to see. Give the teams a set amount of power per lap and then its up to them how they use it, whether it be 80kW for 10 seconds or 8kW for 100 seconds. Give the teams some scope to develop the system which will only be good for the technology race. If you give them a set power it should also (in theory) help them make the system more efficient, in old terms keeping the power at the wheels as close as possible to the power at the fly.

3. Bergkamp a Dutch master

Hmmm. food for thought. Quite like the idea.

4. Bob Bobbinz

Bob Bobbinz Member

more de-regulation is the way. Right now teams all have to develop in the same areas to squeeze every bit of performance possible.

Personally I'd completely open up the power train rules. Lift the ban on refueling, introduce forced induction engines below 1.6l, normally aspirated above that, and even allow full electric.

For years the technology in F1 has been more in line with the aerospace industry than road cars because now it revolves around the smallest aero gains and composite materials. Open up drive trains to development then you can begin to see real world technology filter down to the man in the street.

5. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Actually I think the KERs power should be increased as it easily could be, allowing each team to adjust the amount of power to the rear wheel to suit their own needs is a very neat idea, now, that is providing a show enhancing device that the teams could maximise, especially if the usage could be adjusted throughout the race.

Brilliant idea.

DRS should be removed simply because of the possible dangerous malfunction aspects of it and the current Pirelli tyres are a joke, 5 sets of tyres for a 60 lap race, ludicrous,

6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd really like to see the power source opened up a lot more. Rather than just the current octane blend, I'd like ethanol, biodiesel, etc to be allowed, and then alternative power such as electric and hydrogen, and anything more exotic (nuclear???). Combining electric power with KERS would allow braking to recharge the cars battery. If the rules governing electric powered cars were much more slack, allowing more development, I think teams might find it attractive, and with the right backer could create a diverse field. Also, electric cars may coax back some manufacturers to the sport. For the manufacturers, it's great marketing to be able to say, "Look, we're racing our clean, green car against Ferrari and Mercedes dirty great petrol cars, and doing ok!"

7. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

I can't find an appropriate KERS thread so I'll crowbar this in here seeing as the thread's slumbering.

As Autosport reports, Red Bull and Adrian Newey would like to adapt their KERS system into one that works in their car.

8. Bergkamp a Dutch master

'Red Bull and Adrian Newey would like to adapt their KERS system into one that works in their car.'

-alternatively be allowed to ditch it and claim 50kg less minimum weight !!

9. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

I like Bob Bobbinz's ideas here, even though some of the required practicalities would present quite a few headaches.

In principle, I am against the very concept of 'push-to-pass' technologies, particularly if one of them (DRS) is currently not entirely at a driver's discretion. I say this in spite of the obvious improvement to the spectacle for the mass audience which DRS has, at least in part, contributed to.

10. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

I think KERS is ok how it is at the moment, maybe boost the power of it bit, and perhaps instead of having it available for 8 secs a lap have a certain allocation for the enitre race, I think that would be more interesting.

11. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

Yeah - all these devices should be regulated on the basis of a race distance, not a lap or a specific stretch of tarmac.

12. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

I agree with this Mifune. KERS is too limited. It has a lot more potential and would incite some real innovation towards efficiency. The biggest argument against it is that it might allow greater disparity between teams, harking back to previous eras where cars had quite different power outputs.

But in principle, I totally agree that it is over-regulated.

13. Di Resta is faster than u

what a fantastic idea, I love hearing good ideas like that.

That would be a brilliant way of using KERS.

Im all for a bit of that de-regulation as well.

I disagree with the Pirelli's being a joke theory, I've been looking forward to them ever since they claimed they were going to make them less durable to try and mimic Montreal 2010 (which some ex muzz members may know all too well lol http://muzz606.maxforum.org/2010/10/19/refueling-ban-review/page23/#post443 )

And so far I am finding the effect of Pirelli too be fantastic