1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

colback-can he

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Commachio, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Question is, with the new arrivals we expect, there ain't gonna be room for all the midfielders we have now, so with the emergence of colback, can he make a position his, he seems to hope so.

JACK Colback claims Sunderland’s forthcoming pre-season programme will be crucial to his hopes of cementing a first-team spot next season.

The Black Cats finalised their pre-season plans earlier this week when they confirmed a six-game tour of Germany that will feature matches against Arminia Bielefeld, Hannover and Borussia Monchengladbach.

Having started the final six matches of last season, Colback is expected to feature heavily when Sunderland begin their preparations for the new campaign in July.

And with Steve Bruce hoping to make a number of additions to his squad in the next six weeks, the Killingworth-born midfielder is determined to push himself to the forefront of his manager’s mind.

“It’s an important preseason for me,” said Colback, who spent much of the early part of last season on loan at Ipswich Town. “I need to keep my head down and make sure I’m in the manager’s plans again because I don’t want to have done what I have then fade away again. I need to push on.

“I want to be in the first team next year. I want to be playing Premier League football and hopefully that will be here. I want to knuckle down and prove that I am worth a place in the squad.”

Two summers ago, when Bruce first arrived at the Stadium of Light, Jordan Henderson performed so impressively in pre-season that the Black Cats boss felt urged to elevate him straight into the first-team squad.

The youngster has not looked back since, making 38 senior appearances two seasons ago and starting 37 of Sunderland’s 38 Premier League matches last term.

Later this month, Henderson will be representing England in the European Under-21 Championships in Denmark, and while Colback can count himself somewhat unfortunate not to be involved in the squad, he will be looking to emulate his team-mate’s rapid progress when he returns to action later this summer.

“I spoke to the manager before and he’s always said that Jordan’s the example I need to follow,” said Colback.

“He caught his eye (in preseason) and that’s what I want to do this pre-season.

“Jordan’s been an inspiration for everyone.

He’s proved you can come in and be a regular. He’s been fantastic this season, he was great last year and he can only go from strength to strength.”

2. Norway

Norway Well-Known Member

Hope it works out for the lad. He looks quite comfortable on the ball, and seems to pop up in the right place. but he needs to be used sparingly, not every game and end up almost burned out like JH.

3. bald-in-guelph

He's the best young player we've had coming through the ranks since Bridges.

4. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

I agree, love or hate Jordan Colback makes him look second rate. Bit OTT I know but in the few games he played he moved from nervy youngster to accomplished man. His tackling, pressing forward, long and short passes, ability to keep the ball and no fear at having a shot. All this and he is still a baby

5. bald-in-guelph

Spot on Syd. In his first couple of games I was concerned about the one weakness which seemed to be that he was overly deferential to the senior pros. That was quite natural for a young lad, but he put it behind him after a couple of games, quickly becoming more assured, and assertive. I can't understand this nonsense that we hear about "maybe he will be in the side" etc. Bruce is a ****wit if he doesn't build his team around Colback. He's a fabulous player now and the kind that will only get better as he takes more responsibility with experience.

Oh aye and **** the mags, while I'm on. I just felt like saying that as I hadn't for a while!:emoticon-0111-blush

6. Colback was Ipswich player of the year 2009-10. Granted it was in the Championship but the lads a true 60's-70's North East player in the mould of Todd and others. Got a great future..