1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic 1st, 2nd & 3rd Test WIndies v England....

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Tramore Ranger, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this match was everything that is wrong with English cricket in a nutshell. Cook as a captain is far too cautious and tactically naive. Moores' management is so behind the times in all aspects of the game England are being left behind.

To select players so out of form is asking for trouble and playing Trott as an opener as well was piling the pressure on him and, subsequently, the middle order.

England need someone in charge who is up-to-date in thinking and can build and motivate a team that plays 21st century cricket not the type from 20 years ago. The game has changed dramatically in the past five years as the T20 revolution produces batsmen that have no fear in taking on the best attacks with freedom, that's not Moores' or Cook's modus operandi.

I think someone like Alec Stewart would be perfect for the job to bring some clear thinking to the job and take us forward the right way. Sadly, I think the current set-up is full of 'nice chaps' rather than winners...

2. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on.

Moores and Cook are a pair of very wet weekends!!

3. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the second test as yet and we're into the third day. I thought I'd tag ths onto the already existing 'Test Thread' as you go straight to the latest post on this new site.

Anyway, a good solid start for the England openers after their woeful display in the first test.

please log in to view this image

4. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

Boycs I think made a good point when he said it was an ideal opportunity to try new players like Rashid, lyth and Plunkett - resting Broad, Trott, Moeen. He's right in that Broad and Trott could continue playing for their counties and play themselves into form - instead of trying to do that in the glare of a test match.

Always we go for the safe and stolid option - do we really need such a strong batting line up - Broad at 10?

5. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Must admit i had forgotten about the 2nd Test starting. Did I read that the last WI's wicket added 60 odd runs? Can't imagine that the Aussies would allow such a thing to happen....

Still Skip & Trott are inching their way back into some sort of form, but England appear to be risk adverse, should really be playing a leg spinner to take advantage of a 5th day pitch, that was sadly lacking in the 1st Test.....

Approaching a 100 opening stand........probably put the mockers on that now!!!!!!

6. Sooperhoop

Cook and Trott both make 50s and still there, shame it's against a Windies missing eight regulars playing in the IPL. Still, the runs must give them confidence and boy do they need it...

7. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Trott gone......

Scoring rate is mind numbingly slow.......almost hanker for the 50 over smashathon......

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  8. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Game has moved on a bit at last.....England all out 464, Root an unbeaten 182 giving a lead of 165.

Should be able to force a win from this position, but then again......

9. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Windies are one down but I still think they could hold out for a draw.

10. Sooperhoop

It's a dead pitch so England will have to work for a win, Windies may not have the discipline to see it through...

11. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Draw written all over it

12. Stroller

Could have got 3/1 when I said it!

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  13. Stroller

Bravo's gone now. Cue some sledging for Samuels.

Loved his salute for Stokes.

14. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Yeah, thought it was quite a classy response to the "banter" that Stokes was dishing out......

15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

These flat tracks often used nowadays aren't helping test crickets cause. Where have the lively pitches gone? I haven't seen one for a while. Even the pitches in England have been slow and predictable over the last few years.

16. Sooperhoop

And you can guarantee there will be no quick pitches for the Ashes clashes. It still won't help England as the games will be over in four days instead of three!...:grin:

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

England need 143 to win on the flatest of flat tracks, plenty of time, and even better Trott out (and hopefully also out of the Ashes series) with 2 on the board. I suspect the Windies are the only regular Test playing nation, other than Bangladesh, England rank higher than,

18. rangercol

England are ranked third in the World in test cricket.

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Really? Wow, despite no away series wins since 2012. I suppose the Test rankings are calculated over a long period. I'm not sure I'd fancy us against Sri Lanka or New Zealand at the moment. And the Windies might be a slighty different proposition with their IPL players. Some promising signs though, Root in particular.

20. rangercol

With a little tinkering I think we still have a decent test side. However, the Captain and the coach need to go!