1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic 2 Down, 2 to go - SATS

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Howden Tigress, May 9, 2017.

1. djsowtz

djsowtz Well-Known Member

Don't have them up here, but my niece in Derby is currently sitting them and wasn't looking forward to it!

Cortez91 and Howden Tigress like this.
  2. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Hats off to tigress Cortez and Sterling and any other teachers we have on here. Bloody awful job these days, the paperworks horrendous.

3. djsowtz

So are a lot of the kids!! Well, in my area anyway. I admire them too.

4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

6/10 for me. <ok>

5. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Any excuse.

please log in to view this image

6. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

The holidays are good though.

7. King Curtis

King Curtis Well-Known Member

SATS week in my school and it's been great to see the kids positive about how things have gone and taking things in their stride. The tests are tougher and the expectations raised, but sometimes the media don't help with how they can portray things. As staff, we like to keep things as relaxed and stress free as possible and allow the kids to feel at ease with what they need to do. If we're stressed and snappy before and during SATS, the kids will be too! All we ask is for them to do themselves proud and we'll feel the same. Good luck to everyone else doing the same this week!

8. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I think primary schools should be open from 8 until 12, and senior schools from 12:30 until 17:00.

That way they could save money by using the same building, and teachers could have a full time job. :emoticon-0158-time:

HHH, Cortez91, Amin Yapusi and 4 others like this.
  9. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

I know it's difficult to believe now, but in my Junior school, my class teacher smoked a pipe during lessons.

I know that might sound awful to some, but the man was class.

10. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

My youngest is currently doing a PGCE.

Anybody who says that modern teachers don't work incredibly hard, aren't totally dedicated and don't deserve the holidays and pay they receive is a ****. Fact.

I couldn't be more proud of her if I tried.

Oh and good luck to all SATees this week. It's not their fault that politicians make dickheaded decisions that impact on their young lifes for ****-all reason.

Kempton, Cortez91, PLT and 4 others like this.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

We had some teachers that let us smoke in class on occasions. We used the inkwells as ashtrays.

djsowtz and Kempton like this.
  12. Skidby Plastic

Skidby Plastic Well-Known Member

As Cortez, I think, alluded to the spelling in the one my youngest sat today were mad. She loves school and is good in most subjects, but can't spell to save her life. The spelling test is to write out 20 words that are read out loud. These are from a list of 100 that's part of the curriculum.

We've sat with her for weeks going through them, building up her confidence to get her from maybe 25 out of 100 to closer to 90, by learning old school by rote. Letter by bloody letter time and time again. And do you know how many of the 100 words were in today's list of 20?

Two. ****ing TWO. The other 18 aren't on the curriculum. So thanks a ****ing bunch whichever tosspot ****ing Whitehall school ****ing mandarin came up with that list which will now be used to stream her at senior school.

13. King Curtis

King Curtis Well-Known Member

That's the saddest thing Ernie. There have been successful children's authors who have looked at the test 11 year olds will take in Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar and have not met the expected standard. I'm fortunate to read so many wonderful and thoughtful pieces of writing but because they don't tick the boxes, a very competent piece of writing 'does not meet the standards'. Spelling, punctuation and grammar are all important to writing but should not be looked at as the ultimate picture of what a child's ability is to write. Best of luck to your daughter doing her PGCE. It's tough but the main thing is it is rewarding to see a class of children learn and benefit from your efforts :emoticon-0148-yes:

14. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

<laugh> Which ones are those then? Presumably you mean the Summer ones? <laugh> Holidays. That's a good one.

It's certainly the toughest job I've ever had. It's really rewarding on some days, but on others it's a bloody nightmare. We have our data drop this week and the management are all over it, checking to see who has made the most progress. I don't think any other job is as heavily scrutinised or mediated than teaching. I'm an NQT and even now the workload is 3 times what it was as a student and it's not going to get any easier if the trend in expectation continues.

15. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Wow, had no idea that crack had been around such a long time.

Is it any wonder kids grow up keen to get into drugs when the teachers are off their heads on drugs?

Kempton likes this.
  16. Arnold_Lane_HCFC_

Arnold_Lane_HCFC_ Well-Known Member

You might have been the teacher that my son mentioned.

When he came home today he said : Howden Tigress said I copied from Fred's SATS exam paper today?
    Me: How did she know that?
    My lad : She said that Fred's paper says "I don't know" and I put "Me, neither"!

(Maybe this should have been on another thread, but it is probably not high brow enough :emoticon-0140-rofl: )

17. Arnold_Lane_HCFC_

Arnold_Lane_HCFC_ Well-Known Member

Did she get those 2 correct though?

18. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I was speaking to a mate's bird about work and she said that she was crap at maths and couldn't do it. She said this with a smile on her face. Imagine if she had said she was crap at English. Both are integral, yet only literacy is seen as something to be good at.

This country.

Cortez91 likes this.
  19. Skidby Plastic

Skidby Plastic Well-Known Member

She thinks so, and one of the others too. As for the other seventeen, we have no idea!

20. djsowtz

Yeah I had a teacher who did that too, I was in Ferriby junior school

Kempton likes this.