1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

352 or 442

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

DC has mentioned many times in the past that he can mix things up during games changing into many formations as he see's fit. He has said the players work very hard in training learning all the formations that he can use so they will be use to it on match days. We have seen him with our own eyes do this on match days. Sometimes last season 352 didnt really look good and the players did look a bit unsure.

But this season 352 seems to be working perfect. We are dominating midfield areas and have the pace to attack in numbers and our defence looks solid as it usually does. Happy days. But....

Now Leadbitter at RWB will be out for 2 months plus with a bad hamstring injury, I fear this could hurt us. He has to me been our most improved player and becoming a real favourite of mine. What do we do to replace him? Do we....

Stick with the 352 formation meaning.... Do a straight swap by sticking Gosling or Broom in at RWB in Leadbitters place? Or we could move Sinclair out of CM into Leadbitters RWB position and bring in Mansell back in CM? There is a few options to allow us to keep it 352. I wouldnt want to see wingers put back in RWB though.

Or

Do we change from 352 back to the 442 formation that we used against Northampton meaning.... Push Brown back to LB and move Lockyer across to RB and then bring in a winger out of either Gosling, Montano, Monakan or Bodin to replace Leadbitter and move Sinclair to the other wing or if play with 2 natural wingers then sacrifice a CM either Lines, Sinclair or Ollie Clarke?

What would you do?

352 choices...

-------------Chapman-------------
    -----Lockyer Clarke Parkes-----
    ????-------------------------Brown
    ------Sinclair Clarke Lines-------
    ----------Easter Harrison---------

Either Gosling or Broom at RWB?

Or

-------------Chapman-------------
    -----Lockyer Clarke Parkes-----
    Sinclair---------------------Brown
    ------Mansell Clarke Lines-------
    ----------Easter Harrison---------

Move Sinclair out to RWB and bring in Mansell at CM?

442 choices...

------------Chapman------------
    Lockyer Clarke Parkes Brown
    Sinclair Clarke Lines ????
    ---------Easter Harrison--------

Sinclair moves RW and bring in either Montano, Monakana, Gosling or Bodin at LW?

Or

------------Chapman------------
    Lockyer Clarke Parkes Brown
    ???? Sinclair Lines ????
    ---------Easter Harrison--------

Drop a CM out of Sinclair, Lines or Ollie and bring in 2 wingers from Montano, Monakana, Gosling or Bodin at LW and RW?

2. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Football is about consistency. Do not change what's working until the other lot find ways to neutralise what you are doing. So IMO stick with the system and fill the injury gaps with the best option available to keep within your plan.

And just a light hearted aside. Please let us not adopt the American Football Time Outs where they spend huge lumps of time altering the game plan between plays!

3. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Keep it as is with Gosling replacing Daniel - I though he did alright for the hour he was on the pitch for.

DC is pragmatic so he'll change formation when necessary - and at the mo we've got the personnel to accommodate a change to 442.

4. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Players before systems. If our current squad are comfortable playing 3-5-2
    then don't tinker.

FiveApples likes this.
  5. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I think at most levels you play the system that most suits the players you have.

6. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I think they're comfortable with both systems now. Everyone knows their job. It shows, and they're enjoying their football. And it's good to watch. I rate Gosling and he looks a decent replacement for Ledbitter.

old timer likes this.