1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

4 More Signings?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jul 22, 2016.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Lee Johnson reveals how many more signings Bristol City are targeting.
    Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson has revealed plans to recruit another four players ahead of next month's transfer deadline.
    With six weeks in which to make further new signings, the Robins have already brought in ten players during the summer window, five for the first team and a further five for the Under-21 development squad.
    But Johnson and chief operating officer Mark Ashton are not finished yet and, in an ideal world, the head coach would like to bring in up to four more new faces before August 31.

please log in to view this image

There is scope to recruit a forward to provide competition for Jonathan Kodjia, Aaron Wilbraham and Kieran Agard, and the Robins have been linked with Chelsea's England Under-19 international Tammy Abraham, who could be available on loan now that he is back from the UEFA Championship finals in Germany.
    City are also in the market for a goalkeeper to provide cover for senior stoppers Richard O'Donnell and Frank Fielding. Another keeper on the Ashton Gate will enable Johnson to send out teenage prospect Max O'Leary on loan.
    Johnson has made no secret of his desire to sign another right-back and Sunderland's Wales international Adam Matthews, who enjoyed a successful loan stint at Ashton Gate towards the end of last season, remains a priority target.

Although City have already snapped up Iceland international Hordur Magnusson from Juventus for £2.5m, Johnson would like to further bolster his defensive resources by bringing in a right-sided centre-back to provide competition and cover for Aden Flint.

City have been linked with Alfie Mawson, the Barnsley defender who played under Johnson during his time as head coach at Oakwell.
    The Post understands City are close to making what would be their sixth first team signing of the summer and there could even be a new face by the time the Championship outfit take on League Two Cheltenham Town in their latest pre-season friendly at Whaddon Road on Monday.
    City take on Bath in another friendly 24 hours later, this time at Twerton Park, and the head coach is delaying planning his team selection pending a potential new arrival.

Who are the four more signings Lee Johnson wants to secure.?

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

A striker, a goalkeeper, a right back and a central defender, what's new?
    Crap reporting, unless I'm confused..

3. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I guess they need something to put in the paper every day. Though our transfer activity has been really good so far, I'd still like Matthew confirmed and a quality striker added - then, we'd be in pretty damned good shape.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  4. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Matthews and Abaraham 2 of them. Mawson a possibility although it seems like an expensive back up. Not a clue who we're looking at keeper wise and unless it's someone who could seriously be a number 1 I don't see the point in bringing one in. Just have O'Leary on the bench until Frankie is fit then when he is, send MO'L on loan.

gdknac likes this.
  5. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Don't agree with this Shiny, we need a Championship quality keeper before the window shuts. If Frankie has a set back and ROD breaks an arm in September we don't want Max in goal for three months do we? I don't mind Max having a odd game here and there if required but he is not of Championship quality yet and three months in the Championship is a long time!

6. Shinycitylad7

Pretty certain Fielding is due to be back in September. I doubt ROD will get an injury that will rule him out until next year. I'm sure we could survive, should the worse happen, for what would be about 3 games with O'Leary and save ourselves a million or so by not buying a new GK to sit on the bench.

7. Loathsneyd

Injured players do have set backs, so there is no guarantee that Frank will be back in September and you're right ROD probably wont get injured and if it was any other position on the pitch then I would be fine with taking the risk but Goalkeepers are pretty crucial to the set up. Its not a position I would want to gamble with so I think if we can get someone in before the window shuts we should, even if its a just a loan until January :emoticon-0100-smile

8. Shinycitylad7

I'm not saying we shouldn't bring in a GK, just if we do it should be someone who can be a serious contender for the number 1 spot, not someone who is happy to sit on the bench.

9. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Have a feeling Junior thinks the same as me about Fielding.
    Tbh I'm not yet convinced about O'Donnell, really like how he plays as an extra defender but shot stopping is a bit of a worry.

10. Lan Logger

Lan Logger Well-Known Member

Agreed with RP, not convinced with O'Donnell too. If Man Utd let Sam Johnstone go out on loan again we should snap him up, great keeper.

As for other recruitments, Abraham, Matthews and I'd take a pump on Ekstrand even though he's injury prone. Then we are pretty much done.

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to think of the last really complete all round keeper we had in terms of shot stopping, kicking, commanding the area, handling etc.....that filled me with total confidence in everything he did.

The best of the bunch was probably Basso over the last 20 odd years and he wasn't perfect. But nor were Waugh, Welch, Phillips, James, and certainly not Fielding.

12. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Think I have to go back as far Gibson and Cashley- At least Cashley once scored a goal! Billy Mercer was a good keeper prior to his injury

13. Angelicnumber16

I saw Cashley score that goal from the East End - against Hull (or Millwall) I believe ? I also liked John Shaw and Jock Mahoney.

14. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Tony Cook? Mike Gibson?

15. Loathsneyd

John Ruddy, Adam Federici and Ben Foster never put a foot wrong for us

16. Shinycitylad7

Basso has been the best keeper I've seen. Loved him, the Ohhhh Basso song was brilliant and one of very few songs everyone in the ground sang. I like O'Donnell, rate him over Fielding. His kicking 9/10 times is spot on, commands his area and talks to those around him. Can't say there were to many goals he let in that he should have saved last season. Confident with him between the sticks.

17. Angelicnumber16

Tony Cook was before my time. Mike Gibson was my first City keeper.
    Not the biggest of fellows but he was brave.

18. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

19. Reliant Robin TC

Reliant Robin TC Active Member

Definitely Hull - I was in the East End that night as well!!

20. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

LOAN PART SEASON STOPS ON DEADLINE DAY