1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Bradford fans letter to the powers that be.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Gil T Azell, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Resorting to cliches because you've ran out of anything worthy of a response.

I'm not here to argue about what stereotypical fans think of my club.

2. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

was he right though ?

3. Tel (they/them)

Haha wettest January on record!

I think I've got Aus in one of my accumulators so I hope they win the game but totally get why you want the ****s to lose!

4. Tel (they/them)

Was he right when he said you can't get good players because of the area?

Why don't you get yourself down the city, there's gonna be parents with kids buying them presents I'm sure you could shout at them for not giving money to orphans instead.

Equality or Nothing.

5. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

I've got an aussie bar less than 20 metres from me..I can hear the ****ers already..Might gan and wind the ****ers up.

6. Tel (they/them)

FFS that would do my head in.

7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Nah i wind the ****ers up nearly every night, just doing my best for english/aussie relationship.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  8. Tel (they/them)

They love Thailand man, then they spend the rest of the year saying there's too many Asians in their country!

9. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Oh very true, and every night it ends the same..'Back in Australia, blah blah blah' with me responding, well **** off back there if it's that good.

I'll give them an hour, to watch the first half in peace, then i'll gan in and start shouting for Ji and Ki. that should do the trick.

Dispicable_Tel likes this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

The point is that no one could possibly have missed that point, I really don't think that's the point Terry was making although I'll only speak for myself.
    Of course there's a financial aspect, that's blatantly obvious and barely needs mentioning.

However, the TV companies are a business, just like Bradford City, and run that business as they see fit.
    They're not 'fairy godmothers' flitting around on some great romantic quest.
    The point the letter writer is totally missing is that supporting a club and watching the telly are 2 entirely different things.
    Nothing will ever encourage a child to support a team like being taken to the ground.
    Watching something on a screen for an hour & a half is what kids do every day before flicking onto the next thing then the next thing.

There are dozens of examples of 'giant killers' having been live on TV and, in every case the crowds go back to 'normal levels' afterwards.
    People, and children in particular, don't often form an allegiance to a club by flicking the telly on for a match.
    It's a cosy & heart-warming theory but it just doesn't happen in any numbers.

So 'your team' isn't the live match on a particular channel, oh dear what a tragedy!
    We used to have to hope Sunderland would make an occasional 'highlights' appearance on Match of the Day or listen to the radio.
    It didn't stop people turning up in their thousands. 'Success' is what increases crowds, not switching on the telly.

Bradford received huge coverage from the media and will continue to be shown on TV until they're eliminated.
    Their Fulham/Sunderland match will be shown on TV, 100% guaranteed, don't they get money for that?
    The way this individual is whining you'd think they'd been blacklisted, he sounds a bit hysterical to me tbh.
    I'd bet the local council are well used to seeing his letters arriving complaining about potholes or crooked paving slabs.

If clubs, as you suggested, are hoping & praying for a TV lifebelt, to keep them afloat, then they're not running they're business properly.
    Either that or their 'supporters' believe that going through the drawers, to find their scarf, whenever the cameras show up is dedication.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Dispicable_Tel likes this.

11. Tel (they/them)

Every 'small' club uses the money card to say 'we can't compete' then you have teams like Wigan, with an FA Cup win under their belts and several years in the PL too.

Wigan, a rugby town with the two most successful football teams in England 20 mins east and west of them, who'd have given them a hope in hell?

Middlesbrough, Swansea, Bradford, Millwall, Blackpool, Hull just to name a few teams who have struggled in 'lower leagues' and thrived one way or another when they've managed to get their houses in order.

MK Dons trounced united 4-0 in the league cup then their next round was not shown live on television, instead it was Liverpool vs Boro.

MK Dons opponents that night? Bradford City

12. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I think he's on about the lost revenue a struggling team like Bradford so desperately need mate and tbf, he's got a point.

13. Smug in Boots

They haven't lost any revenue though, you can't lose what you haven't had.

They have a home tie and TV revenue so they're gaining revenue. It'll be interesting to see how full the ground is if they're playing Fulham.

Besides his anger & upset seems to stem primarily from a 'betrayal' of the magic of the cup not the financial aspect.

"I feel angry and upset. The Magic of the Cup is an illusion after all. After a few days of borderline hysteria – the BBC, BT Sport and the FA have brought me and thousands of football fans back down to earth with an almighty bump. A system that ignores the actions of David and throws every advantage the way of Goliath is alive and well, and it stinks."

I'm sure the Boro supporters haven't been 'brought down to earth with an almighty bump'.

The magic of the cup isn't dependant on every match being shown live on telly because the supporters demand it.

14. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I might not have the figure exact but it's in the region of £165,000 if shown by the beeb, plus whatever they get through the gates. That's a massive cash injection to a team like Bradford, it's pennies to the likes of Liverpool, in fact it would probably just about cover Gerrard's wage for the match.

After beating Cheski the way they did, you can see why he feels aggrieved mate, I can anyway. The TV is so biased towards the big clubs it's embarrassing.

15. Smug in Boots

Well yeah, no surprise there, everyone knows that.

But shouldn't Fulham be 'angry and upset' that their game against us isn't live, or Boro, or Sheff United or Derby in their games?

If he's as aggrieved as he's making out then I think he's totally missing the magic of the cup tbh.

16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

we may have passed words,but this is one of the best posts i have read for a while.

17. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

some see it some dont want to see it

18. Smug in Boots

That's the way of the world when strong personalities & strong drink collide <ok>

19. Smug in Boots

In my case I can see it quite clearly ........ however, being able to see it doesn't mean it blinkers me to other aspects or reality.

The TV companies don't want to risk having Bradford v Fulham in the 5th round of the FA Cup, simple as that.

I'm not sure if these matches are 'sold' around the world but, if they are, the likes of Bradford won't bring in a huge audience.

It's sad but true.

20. Tel (they/them)

Funny innit, you seem to have all the answers yet here you are, on a football forum instead of being in a position to make a change in English football.

Seems to me that all you have is an opinion and an obsession with patronising people who you disagree with. It's a weak debate you've presented, essentially saying that benevolence is the only way for lower teams to stand a chance, yet all the while overlooking the long list of examples others have provided you with to suggest that you make your own luck in this game.

Asking people to feel sorry for smaller teams because they don't have the wherewithal to achieve their own success and build their own legacy over a sustained period of hard work and good management.

Ironically every time there's an off topic discussion regarding people on income support you're there in a flash claiming lads like Bri are not worthy of having a say (sorry to use you Bri as my example here).

Seems you have a passion Stu and you refuse to look past it.