1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Friendly Refuge.....

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Jan 11, 2012.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As I posted somewhere previously I joined ATD (Argyle Talk Democratic) recently and found old plymborn on there as princerock. Sneaky little devil. But this site was described as another Argyle fans forum with a few friendly posters. Well, having read a lot on PASOTI and ATD since joining the one (would not consider PASOTI) this forum is indeed friendly which is more than can be said for the other two. They continually kick lumps out of each other and quite why I can't see. PASOTI seems to be a closed shop for the worship of Chris Webb and Ian Newell and decension is not allowed to the party line. ATD is hated by PASOTI but the feeling is mutual. ATD is not into worship of anyone and decension is openly encouraged it seems. But it has a fixation with hating PASOTI or more to the point the two previously named posters. I will continue with the monitoring and posting on ATD but this site is a real refuge from the **** slinging that goes on. If you haven't already, go and have a look.

2. mouldyoldgoat

Sensible, here is a post from ATD which answered the same question from me.

Once upon a time there was a large minority that did not support the agenda of those that ran Pasoti and they argued against one or two that insisted that the backing of the old board of Stapes and Co. was the only route that a genuine fan should take.

Over a period of time those that opposed the views of one or two found they were unable to post or banned from Pasoti so they created their own site, argyletalk.co.uk. It was a small site with few regular users and with little or no advertising and that’s how it remained. Newell was also a member of this site as was Ponty and probably a few other Pasoti moderators. , their agenda seemed to be to antagonise and cause mayhem, they contributed nothing of value.

The regulars on argyletalk.co.uk contributed to the cost of the site to keep it running but unfortunately one of the owners decided it would be a good idea to secretly provide Newell with the password for the Administration of the site, why we don’t know, but we know that his membership on Pasoti was reinstated.

Newell, Ponty and others posted the worst foul language that can be imagined and were posting extreme personal abuse, sharing accounts and generally creating mayhem. However, the old owner did do us one favour, he also gave a couple of us the password for the Administration of the site and we managed to show that Newell and a few of his friends were the ones creating mayhem and posting extreme personal abuse.

Once we realised what was going on we knew that our time on the old argyle.co.uk site was going to come to an end as we couldn’t remove Newell and his friends from administering the site so we created this site, ATD. It was just as well that we did because shortly after the old site was closed down, we assume that this was shut by Newell despite our financial contributions to run the site. We also had/have serious concerns that Newell had access to our personal and financial information as well as gaining access to our private messages.

Following the setting up of ATD Newell joined this site using many different aliases but has been rumbled by the moderators on ATD. He also continued his vindictive crusade on Pasoti but to be frank, without him this site wouldn’t exist and it wouldn’t be so popular.

Newell wasn’t alone in the campaign to restrain the views of those that opposed him and he invited his friends to join him in creating mayhem., some of which I believe are GT’s, hence a few of us being very cynical when it comes to dealings with Newell’s friends, including his friends that were once Trust leaders.

In a nutshell that’s it, but I expect others will have plenty to add regarding personal vendettas and abuse.

PS Maybe the mods would like to split this? I know that Mock has quite an interesting story to tell and is worthy of its own thread?

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sure I read that on there mouldy but for christ sake isn't it time to talk Argyle rather than keep going with the same old war of words between the two? Some threads are fine and actually do talk in varying opinions of Argyle, their plight, who will fix it, are we staying up or going down. But, a lot of them do go off track and come back to the war of words and no amount of peace talk anywhere seems to stop it happening. As somebody who hasn't been involved in their war previously it is a little tiresome at times. ATD could outstrip PASOTI I think if they just let people join and give their opinions but I think sometimes some might look at it and not want to become embroiled. New posters seem to be disaffected PASOTI drop outs who are quite happy to carry it on because of their opinions being dismissed or even deleted on that site. When you think that the club President is a leader of one faction against what are essentially Argyle fans then you wonder how he thinks his position is tenable. At least the others don't hold a post even if it is honorary. It sort of puts me off a little but there is more talk on there than here. Not that I would want to desert this one as I like it here.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I so agree with you sensible...........we have a nice little set-up here which shows respect to each other........plus a bit of, I hope cheeky banter. Ok we have the odd moron show up now and again,and if you choose too you can zap them off of your personal screen and ignore them......with the ignore button.

pasoti and ATD are different kettles of fish........one thinks it's the best thing since the wheel was invented and the other one is so proud of being uncensored (what our moderators for then ?).

To be honest neither suit my lifestyle and I only post to comment on what I feel strongly about.

My user name on those two sites is the same (different from this)...........and was told to someone else in confidence when asked during some personal messages between us......I find that disappointing that that confidence was broken...........but never mind it's not worth crying over spilt milk,anonymously at times is how I prefer,keeping things in seperate compartments.

I did comment on a ATD thread yesterday.........titled.....Ian Newell,Daz and Chris Webb by Dane_B........on the Blocks 17&18 and The Away End Section.

Among other things it half quoted "Sticks and stones may break my bones.......etc..............this can be so mis-quoted.......because words are far more powerful to hurt than ever sticks and stones can.

What I'm saying is all this aggro flying to and fro is not conducive to eventual bridge building later on.........we all support the same cause (PAFC)

We have all been hurt at sometime by someone who we have classed as a loved one or close friend so the healing process doesn't always mend those bridges,because the memory doesn't always forget easily.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure, this forum is dying on its knees with the volume of posts - and more importantly the number of different contributors - declining after a reasonable start on the demise of BBC 606.

I've looked at both forums and the current PASOTI sickens me. It's nothing more than a self aggrandisement exercise for Webb and his cronies. It should be realised that for all their puff, deals like the one that has just happened are driven by one thing and one thing only - money. For all the noise, the views of the fans, however effectively voiced, will have had minimal effect, no matter what the PR output says. If Brent's business partners & investors got wind that he'd done a deal out of sentiment or sympathy, he'd be lynched.

Sad perhaps, but certainly true. Please note that isn't an attack on Brent, just a statement of fact. Brent seems to be doing his best to be open with the fans although their very high expectations may lead to disappointment eventually. That won't be Brent's fault, he didn't promise them the moon and neither did anyone else in the bidding process, so it's no use demanding it now.

If the Trust had been able to deliver fans' ownership, as at Exeter, that would have been a real achievement. Unfortunately on that score, Argyle had the encumbrance of property development potential. Whilst that may well be to Argyle's benefit in the medium term as the ground and its surroundings are improved, in the short term, it put the acquisition price well out of the reach of a fans group compared to what it might have been if it was just a bankrupt club needing a new owner.

ATD may be a better option for me but I hope if we go from here, we go as a group rather than just drifting away one by one.

PS

Can you lot stop hiding meaningful posts in the Pilgrimage Bar? You know you are. It makes this forum look smaller than it really is. I don't frequent the Bar as I only drink when there is a "Y" in the day [as in "R" in the month]. If you want in-game chatter about live games, I strongly recommend #PAFC on Twitter. Much more immediate, lots of contributors, some of them actually at the game, some of whom may post pics.

@only1Argyle posts a not entirely objective game commentary and during the rest of the week you can follow amongst others:

@SimonWalton8
    @Reid6Peter [seems to be largely a stream of endorsements for different alcoholic beverages in different airports]
    @PlymouthWag [a compendium of Argyle news from the unbelievably attractive Kelly Amy]
    @DarrenPurse4
    @SparksyonRadio
    @PlymouthArgyleFC [allegedly official news]
    @TheArgyleTrust

Many of the younger Argyle players also Tweet but anyone over 20 won't understand what the **** they are saying.

Sensible - the big advantage is that you can do all this from a thing called a mobile phone rather than being chained to the computer. This is easier to to hide from your nearest & dearest, minimising any domestic unrest or suspicion as to what you are actually doing on the computer all that time. You will need a mobile phone [a device which enables you to make telephone calls from any location - or those where you can get a signal anyway].

Advertisement ends.

6. akagreengull2

akagreengull2 Member

Many thanks for the above -just joined ATD and posted.Have to confess occasionally post on PASOTI but I feel I feel a bit afraid to challenge the hero worshiping on there.

7. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

notdistant, thanks for the advertisement of other sites - that is really gonna help things hot up here! <doh>

8. notDistantGreen

17 posts in the last 10 minutes on #pafc - mind you, hardly typical I guess!

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

notdistant, I would not have a mobile phone if you gave it to me free and paid me to use it. I can sit on my computer as long as I like and nobody but nobody tells me what to do in my own home. (**** she has just come in the room.........gotta go).

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Right she's gone. I absolutely hope this site does not disappear. I agree that the numbers on here have gone down with regular posters and others only post occasionally but just because it isn't big doesn't mean it has to go. It is up to us to keep it going and if you look at other sites on not606 then they are never well used but still exist.

11. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Its strange at present because the forum is growing but all the boards are quiet but one thing is for sure we cant force anyone to come over here. I opened a twitter account last week and pushed it on the Sunderland board, I dont see a conflict because both have a purpose and I have found a few new members for not606 through it.

If you enjoy this board I see no problem in being on more than 1 and its for you to enjoy.

12. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I prefer this site to any of the others .... I use the P site for the latest news but can't stand the general arse licking that seems to be in abundance on there ! Long live the 606 site !

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Amen Amen...........

14. akagreengull2

akagreengull2 Member

Prefer this forum to any other hope it gets more varied and busy, it's not as if there is'nt much to talk about in Argyle world is there?

15. notDistantGreen

Sensible - get Twitter for your PC then and use it between 2:45 and 4:45 on a Saturday - search for #pafc - with Sparksy on in the background. You won't regret it and then you can come back here and we can ramble on at length about it!

The 2 things are complimentary, not competing.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't want twitter, facebook, a mobile or any other fancy tripe either. I am happy with my laptop as it is and listening to away games on the good old radio devon. I visit PASOTI which tells me quick enough what I need to know and ATD to post some comments occasionally. I also look at bbc football and the Herald. My world is big enough for me even if it is set in the 18th Century. I like this site better that any of the others because of the mainly friendly banter that goes on even if that trots off the football subject a times. Not because it was the first one after bbc606 but because the users are a pleasant bunch generally. Except brb and ONB of course who know nothing about anything anyway.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

notdistantgreen......I have been pondering on your comments on Thursday 8.49 AM.

I am intrigued and mystified at your comments about the Pilgrimage Bar.

Am I a little simple,thou I don't think I am......I did manage to get a O.U. BA degree in later life,.........so I hope that they just didn't give that to me in sympathy for a poor old man nearing his dotage.

Hiding meaningful posts in the Pilgrimage Bar.......didn't I notice what fellow posters were doing in my simple trusting outlook on light hearted banter.......over a pint,pasty,crisps and peanuts.

Knowing the usual posters on the Bar site I wonder who is into double dealing, with a hidden agenda and what the hell for..........who was plotting what, and usurping what in a hidden plot on taking over pasoti or Home Park or even kidnapping James Brent or getting rid of Carl Fletcher..........it is totally gone over my head............maybe in your wisdom you can explain to this lesser mortal what is going on that I havn't noticed.

I do know that some of the other things that you said were not very constructive.......in fact were down right unconstructive........very strange from someone from apparently a management background..........how many strikes have you started I wonder..........I have said on another site recently.........sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me.....it is total rubbish.

Ill spoken words are very painful and deeply hurting......and take a long time to heal.

18. notDistantGreen

Plymborn

Meant to be lighthearted - obviously failed which is probably why I don't frequent the Bar!

I was merely voicing some surprise that I found some interesting comments from you, Sensible, LaLa, GreenGull and others regarding Fletcher & the future managerial structure in the Bar. Of course you are entitled to post what you want, where you want but I don't usually look in there and would have missed them except for pure chance....... Maybe I'm the only one, maybe not but I thought the comments justified a thread of their own where nobody would miss them.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You just have to drop in for a pint now and again notdistant. Or a cocktail before dinner at 8.<bubbly>

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Most football fans talk football over a pint.........which in our case is the Pilgrimage Bar.