1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Friendly Refuge.....

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Jan 11, 2012.

1. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

:kiss:Thank you Sensible

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Always willing to oblige ONB as you well know.............<cheers>

3. greenjock

greenjock Member

I'll be sticking to this friendly bunch from now on. I wasn't aware of the politics that goes on behind the scenes , not sure if its at all clubs or just Argyle, but suffice to say one of the main figures at Argyle, and bessie mate of the President, was prepared to stitch me up with a Plymouth sponsor and local businessman who he himself is physically frightened of, as part of these political games, and appears to have the backing of everyone on Pasoti, with not one person on there willing to speak out against him. I will never attend a game at Home Park again because of this, but will keep up to date with my club via you guys if thats OK? I have deactivated my other forums accounts and cancelled my Player subscription, so will spend Saturday afternoons with my son and occasionally log on here to see how we're getting on. Hope everyone is well on here.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well greenjock your welcome here...........I being someone who checks out the other forums.............had noticed that you were free with your comments on those other sites.

Clocking off of those sites is one thing.........but not attending a Home Park game is a bit drastic isn't it..........there are thousands of Argyle fans who don't dabble with the internet...........can't you just attend like they do..........or are you concerned that you will be recognized.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

And the vast majority of fans don't dabble in self-aggrandising politics either, unlike Comrade President & his Fellow Travellers.

I see one of the immediate comments from the Trust Elite after Brent's announcement was to say that ensuring a proper gender balance was an issue - to which the proposed solution will undoubtedly be that the Trust nominates more GASB members at the expense of proper fan democracy. What's wrong with just electing the best people for the job I wonder?

It's MOST important that people like you DO stay involved Greenjock, otherwise we'll find the whole club has been hijacked by political activists.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A friendly refuge...........just returned to sanity.............after browsing thru ATD threads...............only three things to say about it..........negativity.....negativity and negativity..........no thats wrong........add one more thing.......another ......NEGATIVITY.

Talk of meeting before matches at their own pub and all wearing ATD T-shirts......pathetic..............why don't they meet with pasoti on the Hoe and knock lumps out of each other and get this sickness running thru these two so called supporter sites over with..........aren't we supporting the same PAFC...........how unearth could these two ever agree on choosing directors for the GAS board.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

notDistant.............there certainly is no middle ground in your stance and Union views is there ? Chris Webb could be on the verge of being made a saint by the Pope and it wouldn't matter a jot to you.

With my engineering back round..........and AEU and EEPTU membership over many years I met just as many right wing Labour,Liberal and Tory voters who were trade union members, most of them were treated just the same by management............with suspicion and mistrust...........although I knew some management who still kept their membership cards paid up.

Have you ever met Chris Webb and talked to him as I have briefly at the Hoop & Grapes ? I couldn't see any horns developing in his slightly receding hairline, there was no strings attached being worked by Ian Newell..........who I feel does have a chip on his shoulder and has been known to be a bit of a stirrer between pasoti and ATD........on the other hand he has been a good fund raiser......and I thank him for that. They were both present at the Hoop & Grapes.........Chris came over OK.........Ian I am not sure about.........who auctioned items off on the night raising more money.

You comment.........."what wrong with just electing the best people for the job"..........totally agree,that would be perfect wouldn't it...........but how on earth do we accomplish that when we're not sure who those people are............especially like me from a distance away,not knowing anyone.

I have visions from your last comment of PAFC being "hijacked by political activists"......what next getting voted on the council.......a local MP next........the country..........the world.

Paranoid is the word that comes to mind, your views are your views nothing wrong with that notDistant, and your welcomed to share them with the rest of us, but you must also accept other peoples view points........isn't that democracy,and I'm sure you will.

I do feel that there are fundamental problems in how pasoti is run and how it sanctions opinions............and ATD should change it's name to CHIPS............because there shoulders are dragging along the ground with the weight of a very big one, so negative that it will self suffocate eventually.

What is your opinion notDistantGreen.

8. notDistantGreen

Plymborn

Have you forgotten already it was you who voiced concerns about the Trust running the elections, about the ability of the Trust as an organised group to monopolise nominations & voting, about the role of PASOTI, who have had the finger pointed in stifling comments critical of Webb & his cronies?

http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/116704-The-quot-GAS-quot-Board

Is this or is it not typical of how unions and public sector unions in particular conduct their business? You read the papers the same as I do - ballot papers being sent out to defunct departments to be filled in by goodness knows who etc etc etc.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Trust isn't run by Webb anymore............he did what he felt was necessary and moved on...............officially he is no more a member than I am or the next person........OK I relize that his opinions have more weight than mine............because he's been there done that........ etc......etc.

My concern about the Trust is still there.............but it isn't just a vehicle for Webb to use..........you can't live your life being suspicious all the time.........Peter Ridsdale raised peoples blood pressure.........but I judged him by what he did at PAFC........which on balance was OK..........call me naive if you want..........I can live with that.

10. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have always advocated that it is the best person for a job who should have that job even if that turns out to be a trained chimpanzee. Gender, background, sexual orientation, disability or not, none of this should matter one jot and it is getting the best job done that counts. The problem with elections is that the popular forums will no doubt produce the most if not all candidates. Now I'm not sure who will get a vote and who won't. Will all season ticket holders have a vote or anyone in the City who asks for one or what. Is it that the Trusts of whatever name or fansites with vote only? Plenty of questions still. The problem with a ballot paper is it never gives an option of "none of the above" so you only have a choice from whoever is named at the time. A great many have no idea about any of the possible candidates except possibly those that have been in the news over the last year. Despite his fundraising exploits I would not vote for Ian Newell for example even if offered a bung. The man is a morron even if he is good a raising cash. I don't know him personally and form that view on all the rubbish I have read that he posts. He does not come across as a very nice person and I don't trust people who throw hissy fits if somebody else has an alternative view. Just an opinion of course.

Welcome back greenjock by the way. I'm not sure I'm that kean on ATD as well as PASOTI personally but again it is all about opinion.

11. greenjock

greenjock Member

Am staying away from all forums for a while, the Missus is fed up with me glued to the laptop instead of listening to her. Pardon Dear? No I wasn't aware of the complex political games that went on behind the scenes I must admit. There are good and bad on both sites. I don't like the restrictive one point of view or you're banned, or your posts are deleted on Pasoti, and although I agree with the principles of ATD, they take it too far and I got caught up in the mess of it all. I'm sure you read about the situation that arose, through myself being used somewhat, and the other half got a bit worried about what was being said and quite rightly I'm concentrating on my family from now on. I would say that I asked Ian on Pasoti for an apology, and also twisted his arm a little, and he has made a fantastic gesture of auctioning a signed Maradonna shirt, with the proceeds going to the Niemann-Pick society, which is a rare illness my brother died of. He also posted a link to their website to raise awareness of the disease, and that cancels out anything that happened before. Anyway I will check in from time to time, when her who must be obeyed is at work or sleeping, but will be keeping a much lower profile from now on. Hope everyone's keeping well and I will stop and chat for a while soon.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hi Jock...........I will type this very quietly so your better half............who must be behaved will not hear me.

Sorry to hear that your brother died in such a way, I must admit that I have never heard of the Niemann Pick Society............interesting to hear that Ian can at times have a softer moment.

13. notDistantGreen

Webb didn't do anything to procure a life-saving deal for Argyle as such, nor did any other fan, other than in some cases drive away potential bidders through on-line abuse & threats.

The administrator is under a court supervised obligation to get the best possible deal for creditors. Meanwhile, the bidders will have been solely concerned with obtaining the best possible deal for themselves and their investors with plenty of alternative opportunities out there if acquiring Argyle proved to be too expensive, too difficult or potentially too dangerous.

It's true that the fund raising helped keep the club going while the process followed its course.

Against that, I'm afraid the rest is hot air.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Who said he did notDistant ?.............the administration system showed how utterly inadequate it was in PAFC's case.........not recognizing the obvious time wasters in the bidding process.............and therefore nearly causing the death of a fine club...........people power helped to wake up Guilfoyle and his expensive time wasting..........James Brent seemed the best chance of saving PAFC for a long time before he actually bought the club..........with Guilfoyle's expenses going sky-ward for the benefit of P&A only.