1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A word from Stapleton...

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by homepark_hobo, May 27, 2011.

1. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Seriously too late Paul. We all know Todd, Gardner, Synan and Kagami are mostly to blame but you could have grown a pair and shouted them down, or told the Football league what was happening so they could have intervened. You may have lost your position but at least we would not feel so angry at your involvment.
    Jog on mate! :emoticon-0118-yawn:

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/paf...Stapleton/article-3602764-detail/article.html

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A lot of what Paul Stapleton says in his article rings true, Ok there are things we wish he had done differently.

How I see it........

1)......Paul Stapleton whatever you think is a true fan and longed for Argyle to be successful.

2)......He confirms that Keith Todd and the World Cup bid were the ruin of PAFC.

3)......Local Directors lost control of the boardroom,..........Stapleton,Dennerly and Wrathall...verses...Todd,Gardner,Kagami and Synan.

4)......Todd became executive director replacing experienced Michael Dunford,...that was a red warning light !!!

5)......The World Cup became the centre of the clubs focus.

6)......Kagami's promised money meant PAFC overstretched themselves on more expensive players.The state of the Japanese economy stretched Kagami's commitment to PAFC,he couldn't deliver.

7)......Stapleton says Sturrock should have gone a year earlier.....couldn't afford to pay him off.

8)......Board brought in Paul Mariner....Stapleton said they couldn't afford him.

9)......Stapleton admits......." By that time I'd not lost interest...but lost the actual influence, or the ability to influence was diminished........etc....etc.

YOU NEED TO READ HIS STATEMENT......a lot of it falls into place with hindsight.

NOW THE OBVIOUS QUESTION........WHY TELL IT AS IT IS NOW.........YOU CAN SURELY COME TO SOME CONCLUSION WITHOUT BEING LED BY THE HAND....???

OK one teeny weeny clue....Ridsdale could use a true GREEN director who knows the ropes,he could choose worse (please PS no Dubai holidays for awhile OK).

3. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

TBH if what Stapleton says is true and I strongly suspect a large % of it is then I wouldn't mind HIM coming back. When he was running the show it was run well and well within it's means, things only took a turn for the worst when he was elbowed out of the big decision making. Stapleton's biggest mistake was getting Todd, Gardener and the Japs in but he did so with the best intensions, he thought he had taken the club as far as he could. financially and needed to push on.

Does anyone think this next lot will be any better? It remains to be seen but I hope so for all our sakes.

4. Michael71

Michael71 Member

Very interseting article, wow to think what could have happened if sturrock was sacked earlier..

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Reid-all-about-it..........Well said,I agree.

If Stapleton is given a Board job he will from past experience be probably the best person to recognize the warning signs of mad-toady disease.

He is a true green supporter,and you need at least one on the Board.

It will take him awhile to live down his DUBAI (I havn't been in the sea yet) holiday,but of course I'm nearer Kagami being here, I will forgive him and put it down to pressure.

6. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Hi peeps thought I would pop on here as 606 mods are going mad and my inbox is getting full of post removed e-mails!!! As for Sturrock I always had a feeling that he and the other old members had been pushed aside but without hindsight that would have been hard to stop. As for his return personally I´d rather he didn´t seems a bit of a poke in the eye to all the local companies getting screwed over by this. At the end of the day as long as there games to watch at HP next season that is the main thing.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Does Sturrock = Stapleton. I know its been quite hectic with reams of info today or have I missed that Sturrock is an Argyle man again,its becoming too much to cope with.

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No return for me. I just don't see how he can even if he is a supporter. His answer to the problems of all the staff being laid off was to waltz off on a millionaire's holiday. He knew what was happening and said nothing. The whole article smells of self pity to me. It's a bit like a bloke hitting his wife and then expecting to be allowed back into the house because he confesses his sins. Should not be allowed and the football authorities should not allow it either.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well, i agree with you Sensible , i would not like him back.
    How can he come and show his face after all he as done, he got toad and co onto the board so its down to him.
    If he wants to watch argyle he will have to purchase a season ticket.

Have you seen the garbage ds has wrote on 606, hope fully that idiot does not join here.
    <party>

10. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sadly he probably will joe. I read it, posted a reply and it was Modded again. He is a whinner and the Mods are idiots. Just because he thinks it may happen does not make it fact and it will and I believe it will not. He says he predicted it all almost word for word. My backside he did. Don't remember one post predicting Sturrock would be sacked for one. Many that said he should be but that is a different thing altogether. As for the rest of it he has made so many different predictions that he was bound to get some right and claim he knew the inside track having then ignored all the other posts that were not right. If you give a troup of monkeys a typewriter each and a thousand million years one of them will write the complete works of Shakespear. It is laws of averages not some mystical gift.

11. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Ooops yep Sturrock = Stapleton heads in a spin, eitherway neither back for me.

12. Greenarmyjoe

Well at least he is not here yet, he keeps contradicting himself.
    Like you say he will get some thing right as he keeps posting the same drivel, i am bored with 606 now, hope fully this will take off.
    I suspect him ds and stb will arrive sooner. But the mods are ok here, we will be able to tell him exactly what he is and what everyone thinks, he needs a good hiding:emoticon-0116-evilg

13. Greenarmyjoe

Sensible read this from DS, some one put it up on the 606 post, he still had a lot of drivel to say about it.

"I'm in
    by devonsurfer (U10807578) 21 April 2008

I have been hovering on the fence for the last few weeks trying to decide whether or not to invest in a season ticket for next year.
    I have decided I am going to do it and not just me but my Mrs. too and my son. We are going to sacrifice our Sky TV package and cut back in some other areas of our expenses in order to fund it.

I have been very critical lately because of the shambles our team has become over the last 8 games. However I am liking what I am hearing from Sturrock, I am liking what I am hearing about the Japanese investment, I am liking what I am hearing about the clubs ambitions for the coming years. In summary Argyle have done exactly what I would have asked for in light of our current plight and I am proud to put my name and my money forward for the Green March 2008/09.
    It's going to be tough to recruit enough new fans to sustain this advance but it's not impossible. I am a new fan and I'm also very hard to please and very tight with my purse strings! but now I'm sold to the cause so it is possible, if I can be recruited then so can many others.
    Let's hope this summers plans make us strong for next year. More wins and quality football on display next year will breed more fans. A piece of DS

I'm in"

I miss the days when DS was optimistic, though it did take some serious exploring to find it.

14. mouldyoldgoat

I just think the Japanese lot had no intention to put in any money to help the club. They were after the ground and the chance to make some serious money at any cost, even if it meant losing some first and then trying to buy the club back (like Todd and Gardner attempt after admin). I wouldn't be surprised if Kagami and Synan was with them in that attempt.
    As for Stapleton, too little too late. No mention yet of the people who lost their money and I don't mean directors or mastpoint people! I mean the the local and national companies who provided services and products to the club and will get next to nothing back.

15. mouldyoldgoat

As for ds and his gimp, balls and any other wum, I will use the 'magic button' if I can find it. They have nothing to say that I have any interest in.

16. greenjock

greenjock Member

Amazing interview with Stapleton. Not sure how much of it is true, but I think probably most of it. I think Paul Stapleton was the catalyst for our succesful period a few years ago and is an Argyle fan at heart. I'm sure he's as depressed by the whole thing as we all are and he has lost money. If it wasn't for the people who have lost large sums of money by us going into administration, I would much rather have seen Stapleton involved again than Peter Ridsdale, but now I really can't see how he could return.

So Sturrock was going to be sacked but the club couldnt afford it. If thats true then it is a shame it all came down to money back then as it wouldnt have mattered in the grand scheme of things a couple of hundred thousand pounds to sack him. I remember when Sturrock was trying to sign Charlie Adam and I think he was even a guest at one of our away games. Would one player have made that much difference? Not sure but I think it shows that Paul Sturrock was actually not a bad judge of players and he did bring some good players to the club, and not the "bumbling Jock" many portray him.

To me Paul Sturrock will always be a hero for the way he transformed us in such a short space of time. Both Sturrock and Stapleton deserve a place in Argyle folklore for the success they brought to the club. Having watched Argyle since 1983, as a very young lad I might add, the few years of Sturrocks first spell in charge were the best for me. Memories of Home Park rocking as we surged up the league and away trips the length of the country with thousands of Argyle fans descending on unsuspecting towns and cities!

I was devastated when Sturrock left for Southampton and I actually think that thats where the rot set in. I still believe that if Sturrock had stayed back then we might have reached the promised land within a couple of years. The Mayflower development would now be complete and we wouldnt be in the mess we are now. Sturrock seemed to bring out the best in our players and we attacked teams with no fear. Players like Friio and Norris.... Oh my god this is getting me down now lol, am going to bed before I slit my wrists.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

No DS at present on this site,but it probably wont be long.

In the meanwhile for goodness sake STOP talking about him,and STOP looking over your shoulder for him,its enough to give you a nervous twitch.

18. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I must be getting senile I'd forgotton all about the Dubai thing <doh> and yes Stapleton has been far from blameless but I still think having him onboard wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing and I do think once he lost his power in the boardroom there was little he could do to save us. Of course now he is trying to resore his reputation via the Herald, as Plymborn says "why now?" Note that Todd has refused to counter-attack and if what Stapleton has been saying is way off track then Todd could take legal action. We await the next chapter on that one.

As for 606, I've had so many posts removed it's unreal, and annoying when you take the time to make them. Funny how the mods run amok and WUMs seem to prosper on there. The best days of 606 are long gone and it's time the animal was put out of it's misery. Great function on here where you can eliminate the WUMs so you never see their posts. <ok>

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If Stapleton returns he will be a wiser man,he did a good job in those early years, getting praise for how PAFC was run as a financially tight ship.

Sturrock was a real jem in his first stint at Argyle and it was disappointing he got lured away to Southampton (and failure), second time around I prefer to forget (very sad).

A fantastic squad of players then as well,in hindsight we were very blessed,did we fully relize that ?

20. Steelthunderballs

Steelthunderballs New Member