1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread AFC Wimbledon v Plymouth A

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ok not everyones cup of tea this competition but at the end of the day it is an Argyle first team match.

Must be difficult for Adams not to want to stuff the Wombles for beating his team in front of so many greens last May......but it is a competition that will end at Wembley eventually.

Not many Argyle players left from that game...so not to many axes to grind.....I expect Adams to play some of his fringe players tonight....I think you need to play at least five regulars by the rules of this Cup competition. Certainly in goal there will be a change and possibly Karleigh Osborne will get his first start.....he knows this club from last season having been on loan here.

Wimbledon beat Swansea U21's here earlier in this competition...I think 3-0.....so we are the two top teams at present in this section.

Maybe there might be nearly as many greens tonight as home supporters.....they had a very small turnout against Swansea U21's.....so PASALB might turn out a reasonable following being in SW London.

Will he give Graham Carey a night off or keep him on the bench in case he needs him.....he needs some time off soon or he will get knackered too early in the season....or injured....and we haven't really tried playing without him and giving others a try in that position....interesting to see how this game turns out.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Tanner is a good option in that central midfield role and has only been getting runs out as substitute lately.

I imagine Osborne will get some game time although probably not the full 90 mins. I thought Slew looked decent against Cambridge but I don't think he's played since. Likewise Ijaha against Luton but perhaps Adams saw some of the blame for the 0-3 scoreline lying with him.

I don't want to see Garita - let's save him for the League.

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Listening to the commentary there are about 200 greens there. Argyle seem to be playing well and are 1-0 up. Depending on other results, if we win we are through to the next round with a game to spare (plus another £10k to the good). Pasoti matchday thread being populated by people boycotting the competition but who still feel the need to rattle on endlessly about it.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm going to prattle on endlessly and boycott it......

Ok no I won't. Don't think there will be a reasonable following either. One nil up whoopeeee!!!!

5. notDistantGreen

Notably there is very little Twitter traffic compared to an average away game.

200 is less than a league away-day but very little interest from Plymouth sofas either.

6. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Attendance tonight is 936, 197 Green Army (that's at least 2 points to me for the attendance and goal time). Losing 1-2 so don't think Ill be getting any more tonight!

7. notDistantGreen

Which is as well as we've just chucked it away....

Worrying that he's put Carey on. Let's not turn a disappointment into a disaster.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Now losing boohoo!!!!!!!

9. notDistantGreen

All over with no reported injuries other than to Threlkeld. Therefore disappointing but could have been worse. Back to the serious business at Stevenage.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Indeed notdistant indeed. More serious stuff ahead.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I read the comments of that bloke from the Football League yesterday on this competition where he tried his best to talk it up. He was saying that attendances for it were up on last year. However what he forgot to mention was there have been 50% more matches that last year. The attendances average out at around 600 a match less than before. He simply can't see that people are not happy with this formula of allowing U21 teams in it. Fans who are boycotting it are pretty much as one on it. It is primarily a league one and two competition and they do not want the others in it. I agree with that and I do believe it is the thin end of the wedge. Accept this and next it will be doing what they want league wise. I do not want the lower league to sell out to these people for a pound.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

My experience of going to Wimbledon matches is that quite a few PASALB greens would have bought tickets from Wimbledon and would be in other parts of the ground....you can tell by fans reactions when a goal is scored....at least another hundred or so i would think.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Read pasoti plym and there are quite a few from that area who said they would not be attending. That's despite it being an extra chance for them to see the team play.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Probably glad they didn't go in the end (and me).......three consecutive defeats by this team must be hard to take.....after being in the lead for so long,then to give two quick goals away......if I'd gone it would have been a miserable twenty minute walk back to the station...upto Waterloo....walk across to Waterloo East.....down to Orpington and then a bus ride...would have been gone mid-night time I got home....no thank you......probably could have done it in an hour by car....but it would have been a slow journey and parking around their is horrible......using the train/bus of course would have been free. They are becoming a bogy team for us since beating them twice at the beginning of last season.

15. notDistantGreen

Personally, I can see a lot of merit in letting the top third of the Premier League eff off into a European League with a namby-pamby winter break and then maybe we can settle down to proper English football.

Even my other family members, both female and not fans of football other than Argyle, are excited by the prospect of the Boxing Day match. My only wish is that we could revert to lunchtime kick-offs for those games so that we could get home, light the fire and get stuck into the cold turkey!

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yet Derek Adams says that he is keen on a winter break for all leagues.....he sees Argyle playing at least 51 games this season and would be happy to have a mid-winter break.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It is Wycombe notdistant........

18. notDistantGreen

I look forward to a healthy portion of seasonal revenge, served hot and with blazing brandy on top......

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Might just end up with a damp sparkler instead.......to go with cold turkey ....... stodgy cold Christmas pudding and lukewarm custard.

20. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I think we may be surprised by Wycombe - in some of their recent fixtures they have actually concentrated on playing football rather than play-acting.

I think someone must have hit Ainsworth on the head!