1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Alfie Mawson

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by trundles left foot, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I am not totally dismissive of VDH but if as you suggest he has lost confidence than the only way he can get that back is game time and I don't see where he is going to get that with us.

seabreeze and trundles left foot like this.
  2. Libertyswan

Libertyswan Well-Known Member

Can I ask if you attend our matches live seabreeze...it does give you a better insight into the overall ability of a player, there is only so much you can glean from watching players on the box. What I can say about VDH is that he makes me nervous when he plays in the team, he lacks the confidence of a player that has belief in his own ability & is just not clever enough to cope at premier league level. Mawson on the other hand although younger and less experienced than VDH is the opposite, yes he makes mistakes but that doesn't drain his confidence it just makes him more determined. He'll go on to play for the senior England team I have no doubt & I'm just glad we've got him if only for one more season before he gets snapped up by one of the top six.

trundles left foot likes this.
  3. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

you can go on abouth that season at Utrecht, but he hasn't progressed, He has stood still why others have improved. It happens how many players have you seen who are going to be superstars after a good season only to end up playing L2 football. He simply isn't good enough for the PL, he WAS good enough for the Dutch league then and then wasn't good enough as Ajax didn't want him and were happy to let him go for pence and for me they were right. Vetch is right when you watch him at the ground you do get a totally different perspective and he scares the living daylights out of me anytime he is on the ball.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  4. trundles left foot

5. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you know I don't attend matches , but for the sake of disclosure , no I don't .... doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the game . Mawson makes me nervous defensively . It's a bit easier to be confident when you play 30 games than when you play 7 . If the shoe was on the other foot and Mawson only played 7 last season , I'd be even more nervous because he'd be the one lacking confidence
    How do you progress after a fantastic season , when you don't play . VDH 's biggest mistake was going to Ajax , they stunted his progression IMO

6. Libertyswan

Libertyswan Well-Known Member

Seabreeze it's nothing to do with the number of games you play, if VDH played every match it would make little difference to his overall ability...he is not good enough for the premier league. The Dutch league is more his level so I'd gladly pay for him to take a ferry trip back home where he might get a game for Den Haag though am not sure we should dump him upon them or their fans with whom we have a long standing friendship...remember watching us playing there in a friendly some years ago & we landed up feeling totally chilled just by breathing in all the wacky backy being smoked within their new "tin can" stadium.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  7. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

I've watched VDH in an U23 match towards the end of last season, a disaster waiting to happen , He's not picked for the 1st team because he's not good enough

8. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

I love the way we watch the same game and all see a different one. Matt sees VDH as a disaster, Mawson makes Seabreeze nervous and Fernandez scares the bejebus out of me.

Putting this debate to bed then, obviously, I'm the only one who's right and the elephant in the dress IS Fernandez. <laugh>

I think the best of Mawson, Bartely and VDH is yet to come whereas the best of Fernandez is long gone and his current best rates him as the weakest CB we've got, imho and deep down, y'all know I'm right <ok>

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  9. trundles left foot

No they thought he wasn't good enough after signing him and sent him out to their second string side where he played, but still not good enough so mugged us off with signing him.

10. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I get more of an insight of a players ability watching live on the TV than i do at the stadium.......Only the Atmosphere is better at the Liberty but you see more close up of players on TV...

Stumpy likes this.

11. trundles left foot

Wrong because you cant see what they are doing without the ball, which is as important as what they do in possession or challenging for possession.

12. seabreeze

Just going in circles .... Everyone sees things their own way I guess . I'm of the opinion VDH will have a super career eventually , to whoever gives him the chance and can build his confidence . 7 Premier League games under his belt and everyone seems to have got him pegged . I'll wait till he has an opportunity before giving my total opinion . Had an absolute outstanding game against Watford , scored our only goal against Man U one game . And played against Man City , Liverpool and the Spurs ... rough schedule fot VDH
    Some players are best playing at a higher level than they are at a lower level . Fer played very pretty well for Norwich , QPR and us in the Premier , but sh!t the bed when he went down to the Championship with QPR . I believe VDH falls into that category .
    On a personal note , there are people who sit in the seats and don't know their arse from a hole in the ground . Cheers

Stumpy likes this.
  13. trundles left foot

That would be the VDH who failed at the top level with Ajax and the Fer who got relegated with both Norwich and QPR. I agree VDH did have 1 good season 6 years ago not good enough really, given plenty of time at previous club, but failed and for me looks an average Championship player. You are right thought we are going round in circles, so lets see what happens this season.

14. seabreeze

VDR has a superb season in 2012 - 2013 , there has only been 4 seasons since . 3 with Ajax , never really getting a chance and 1 season with us ... ditto . As for Fer with Norwich and QPR , he was arguably their best player with both of teams when they got relegated . But hey , blame it all on him . He was MOTM many times with Norwich when they went down , and scored a third of QPR's goals in the last 18 games he played for them . Intangibles lefty , both teams got relegated , but look to see what he actually did within these teams terrible seasons and try judging the team's input , not his .

15. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Mawson is 23 (and a half) and learning his trade so its right we talk encouragingly about him at this early stage off career. We should be talking of VDH in the same terms as he is only six months older than Mawson and he too is at the beginning of his career and is learning his trade.

VDH has made seven starts, was MOM once and scored a goal. He was part of a piss poor performance where he played badly along with every other player in a Swansea shirt that day but Bungling Bob Bradley had sucked the will to live out of all of the team including Mawson, Siggy, Llorente who played just as badly as VDH did.

We shouldn't be discussing VDH like he's an experienced, seasoned, old professional because he's not. He's a young player starting his premier career and is doing reasonably well given his limited opportunities.

What really grates my cheese is VDH, a youngster, gets slated but the CB who consistently screws up and puts the team under greater pressure than it should be is our experienced, seasoned, old professional and he seems to get away with consistently screwing up. He's is a deflated tire of a player who cold blow at any time and wimp out of a challenge or let an average player stroll past him to get a shot on goal. He's dangerous and imo, has a destabilising effect on the team. I'd prefer Bartley but I'd also be comfortable if VDH took his place too.

seabreeze and NorfolkSwan like this.
  16. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

That was 4 years ago Roof.

17. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

QPR fans couldn't wait to get rid of Fer and we improved significantly when Fer was dropped and Leon returned to the starting 11, but I'm not getting involved in that argument, I'll leave it for a Trunds to dive in head first here <laugh>

18. seabreeze

Ya , when he was 20 , not bad but then he made the mistake of going to " Big Money " Ajax and got lost . He should have gone to someone who didn't have big pockets and a big bench IMO .

19. seabreeze

QPR fans weren't in a hurry to get rid of him when he was their best player the last half of the season for them in the Premier . Fer was dropped from being our attack midfielder only because Naughton and Rangel were injured ( against Hull I think )and Clement had to move Fer to RB . When Fer was moved their , we went on a losing streak I believe .

20. seabreeze

I gotta get me one of those crystal balls ...lol