1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Alternative Internet providers

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Geo10, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

Does anyone use an alternative Internet provider to KC in Hull, or any recommendations please? I've finally had enough of KC and there antics (did they go to the same school of customer services as Allam)

2. lakesideview

lakesideview Active Member

Try Sky or Talk- Talk.

3. RonF

RonF Active Member

Heard that one provider started offering 4g in (or at least near) Hull recently. Might be worth a look if you are a relatively light internet user and bigger mobile phone user

4. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

Didn't think we could have these in hull

5. BernsteinTiger

BernsteinTiger Well-Known Member

6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

As I live well out to the west of Hull, I can have KC or BT, I switched to BT. but they were so bad, I ended up switching back to KC.

7. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was hoping someone had maybe used connexin or pure etc who are advertising Internet in hull

8. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Im not in Hull, but Sky broadband is absolutely fantastic. I've had BT in the past, stay away it's terrible, I've also known people to suffer the same problems with Talk Talk/Tiscali etc.

With Sky, I have full speed all day every day, I've only ever had one cut out which was no fault of sky's, a builder accidentally chopped through the wires down the road.

Virgin Media is even better and as log as it's available in Hull I can see no reason you can't use them. They use their very own fibre optic cables so I don't know how KC could stop them.

9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

You can't get Virgin anywhere near hear, the closest places are Leeds and Sheffield.

10. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

There's a few wireless providers which are alright, but can't offer the reliability of a fixed line service.

As we all know you can't get other fixed line providers in 01482 areas, but it's not true that KC are the cause of that. They're strictly regulated like all ISPs are for competition, the reason is simple that big ISPs don't want to be involved in Hull.

Ofcom regularly audit ISPs performance and KC is pretty much always significantly faster than the likes of BT, Sky, TalkTalk, etc. People don't realise how good the service actually is round here.

KC's fibre service, Lightstream, is absolutely streets ahead of what other providers call a fibre service, and that plays a big part in why the big ones don't bother with Hull. The technology is entirely different. In Hull its fibre from KC to your door, which means they can guarantee pretty much any speed they fancy selling. Elsewhere, fibre services are just a little bit more fibre and a little bit less copper than standard broadband services.

I'm a proper bore on this subject, I did my dissertation on it. But it irritates me seeing some of the stuff people claim about broadband and I spend most of my life explaining it to them.

WhittlingStick likes this.

11. RonF

RonF Active Member

PLT don't ruin the possibility of a good slagging with facts.

12. Amin Yapusi

PLT has an agenda, he works for KC, and making direct comparisons like he does is against trading standards laws.

Sacked in the morning...

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  13. RonF

RonF Active Member

Ah I see. He is scum infiltrating the forum with pro KC propaganda.

14. Amin Yapusi

Precisely that.

15. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

My problem with Kc is, I don't have a landline phone plugged in because of mobiles etc so I only use the Internet but I have to pay £40 a month for that package. All these other providers Virgin sky etc are half the price even the company's like connexin are £25.
    PLT as you know about these things what are these wireless providers like?

HHH likes this.
  16. RonF

RonF Active Member

Geo 10 you can't trust plt to be objective on these issues.

Mr. Hat 6.3 recurring likes this.
  17. Amin Yapusi

I can speak on behalf of wireless providers, my old village used one for years before BT finally sorted their **** out. It depends on your distance from the whatever it is that sends it out. My mate used to live across the road from it and his connection was great, it was actually faster than the BT broadband cabled connection once it was down. At my end of the village it was hardly better than a dial up 56k modem.

I guess with advancing technology (this was nearly 15 years ago after all) the speeds and range will be better now but back then I think the wireless maxed at around 2mbps. There's also the issue of bad weather affecting it. Have a look into it.

It boils down to whether you want a good price or a solid reliable connection. If you want to stream/download movies or whatever quite often you're betternoff staying with KC probably.

PLT likes this.
  18. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

I own up to having gone through the exact same process, although the main reason that I switched back to KC was because they introduced fibre into our area, which I have to say is absolutely fantastic.

I'm now getting average download speeds of 75mbps whereas with BT they couldn't achieve, after multiple engineer visits, more than .60mbps. Dial up would have been quicker!

19. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I used to have a wireless provider in an old house and it was fine, but it relies on line of sight, so if you live near a tree you can have problems with it. Sounds daft but it's true.

Apparently ISPs have to provide a landline service by law, so that people can make emergency calls if required. You can't Skype 999.

I don't work for KC, though I used to, which is why I got interested in it.

20. Amin Yapusi

PLT is on the dole.

PattyNchips2 and DMD like this.