1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Alternative Internet providers

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Geo10, Apr 15, 2015.

1. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

<yikes> BURN THE WITCH.

2. Tonight We Dine In Hull

Tonight We Dine In Hull Active Member

This pisses me off I have to have KC I have no other option and there is no sign of them giving my area fibre yet why waste money on your area first where people have a choice and leave me with average internet.

3. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Possibly, I'm not saying you do or he does, you live in a ****hole and he lives in a prosperous area? Or maybe you're out the way and your exchange serves a small amount of people and his serves more?

I noticed when BT did stuff round my way they did the larger areas first but they organised the similar sized places by prosperity.

4. RonF

RonF Active Member

Yeah if he lives in a ****hole he deserves **** internet access.

5. Tonight We Dine In Hull

Tonight We Dine In Hull Active Member

He may live in a better area than me but I certainly wouldn't say I live in a ****hole most people who actually live in the Hull boundary would call me posh because of where I live so I don't think it's that although I see what you mean.

It's the going for new customers instead of looking after the current ones (ones with no choice of leaving unless they don't want a wired connection) that is annoying.

6. TigerRoo

TigerRoo Well-Known Member

What is annoying to us out in the bush here in Oz is the fact that the National Broadband Network is 10 times faster than our current ADSL BUT the powers that be have determined that the supply surrounds our entire town making the NBN available in thousands of acres of pasture land but is not available to the town itself. It stops, would you believe, 50 yards short of my property. In the meantime we experience anything up to 2 dozen 'drop-outs' every day (most frustrating) but have to pay full price of course. The NBN, we are told, will be available back end of 2016.

talisker likes this.
  7. thetigers1

thetigers1 Member

the hull kc is the best in the land like the allams are the best for hull city. (ohh the irony)....

8. lakesideview

lakesideview Active Member

I forgot KC have it almost sewn up.

9. ....

.... Well-Known Member

sorry but I have lived elsewhere in the country .. and by far and away the service provided by KC is second to none .. I have lightstream now 95mbps dl and 18 ul ... and if you have a problem you know you are ringing someone local (carr lane) .. yes others are cheaper but they are simply not as good ... yes I don't use a phone .. I spend 46 a month on the internet .. but 750gb a month dl limit alone is worth it at the speed it is

10. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Solution.... voila

11. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

It's no good now, we've found you out mole. You have been reported to the KcGB for questioning.

12. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

I have BT....broadband, Landline with 24/7 free calls & BT Sport costs around £40 a month

13. Amin Yapusi

For that same £40 you can get sky unlimited broadband and phone line with the family and sport or movies. And a far better interweb connection.

14. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

I guess it all comes down to economics, I don't live within the 01482 catchment area therefore all of my neighbours and I were being made to put up with diabolically slow BT download speeds as they were unwilling to update their system in our area. So a bunch of us got together and put a proposal to KC in an attempt to lure them into the area with fibre, they told us that if they had a minimum of 150 households that showed an interest that they would seriously consider it, we managed almost double that number and within a year we were all enjoying Lightstream.

So don't be pissed off, be active.

Sir Cheshire Ben likes this.
  15. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

I get free, unlimited SKY broadband and only pay line rental averages about 12Mbps which is fast enough for me as I don't download movies and it is good enough for I player etc. The line rental is £16. How do you get the TV package you describe for £24, I pay more than that?

16. Amin Yapusi

Just keep ringing them up, they're always ready to give you an offer if you're nice, even if you're still in contract (so long as you're not currently benefitting from an offer). That figure is wrong though it's £50, hit 4 by mistake, the lowest I got was £43 for sport or movies + family package, line rental and broadband for 10 months.

Try it, worked every time for me so far.

Edit: I didn't press 4 by mistake must have just had the day's second mix up (unusual I know). But I'm currently paying £50 for that lot I said. It would have been £40 for just family without sport or movies. Guess you could probably get the lowly basic tv package + sport for under that though, I didn't try, I like on demand tv too much.

17. Titan Tiger

Titan Tiger New Member

I am with Connexin ,been with them since September ,
    I switched from karoo purely because of the continued increase in price related to the decrease in data ,and tying in to 24 month plans .I bought a huge smart tv and equipment to stream movies /Football so needed a large data allowance .
    I do not agree to the forced phone rental or inclusion of phone line calls on bundles when wanting to upgrade to get more data ,we do not use a house phone

I had a 15 Mpbs connection with karoo but only 20 odd gig
    I have 6-25Mpbs with Connexin

Both buffer live tv at peak times Karoo blamed me or the equipment ,Connexin have been very good at trying to sort issues out .

I am not on the top package with Connexin that is £25 a month for 250 gb data
    the cheaper package is £18 for 100 gig
    both packages can be upgraded to include unlimited data for a one off yearly payment of £60
    I would not say that its faultless but on the whole I am happy with what I get
    I will say alongside the price per gig that karoo charge I am highly delighted ,
    Speeds and performance do depend on where you are ,line of sight to a node and just how many are connected to that node ,
    You also get a free hull number to set up a voip connection and with that you can have a pay as you go home phone ,at around 1p per min with cheap international calls.

For me it was a no brainer

18. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

When you say far better interweb connection, that's not really true. Changing from BT to Sky at the same address would make no difference whatsoever to the reliability or speed of your connection, unless you also change to a better technology at the same time.

19. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Where I live, when we bought our house, I had to have BT provide the phone line, so went with their broadband too, as I decided it's only a year.

That year was the worst experience I've had with Internet, bearing in mind my first modem some years previous was a 9600 baud rate. Connections dropped, speed varied widely and the worst customer support ever. At the year point I swapped to sky for everything and not had a single problem at all in the last 6 years.

I understand it's the same cables but don't they use different switches in the exchange?

In any case, speed and reliability with sky has for me been much better.

20. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

The equipment in the exchange would be different yes, but it's unlikely that any problems would be caused by that equipment. Certainly when I worked for KC, the vast majority of faults were on the wiring itself, whether between KC and the customer or within the premises themselves. If something is wrong in the exchange thousands of people would be affected and the provider would be able to identify and fix it sharpish. When it's on one customer's ancient copper line you don't know about it until they let you know, and even then finding the exact cause of the problem is a tedious process of elimination. That's a big reason why a full fibre connection with no copper is such a good thing.

It's possible that at peak times one provider might be slower than another on the same line but that really should be a problem of the past. It's just about matching demand with supply.

BT do have a terrible reputation for customer service though.