1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Alternative Internet providers

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Geo10, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Believe me, it makes a world of difference.

2. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

I assume that there's a speed difference at the £25 price, otherwise you're paying an extra £7 per month for 150GB as opposed to an extra £5 per month for unlimited?

I'll be onto my parent's Karoo fibre in a few weeks. Currently with Talk Talk for £8pm line rental (paid up front) and an extra £3.50pm for unlimited usage. Not the best reliability but not bad for £11.50pm

3. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

BOJACKHCAFCMAN Well-Known Member

I live in one of the bigger Hull villages where there is no fibre connection despite villages in all other directions having it, I speak to Sky engineers regularly and would be delighted for them to to fit me up with their internet only they can't do it. The data allowance I get with KC is a joke compared to the cost of the package, and I also object to having to pay for a landline which I rarely use. I used Lightstream in 2012 in Beverley so four years on I can safely say the service I get from KC is a joke. KC would only be worthwhile for me if Lightstream was available and it isn't with no sign of it coming, I check regularly.

4. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

I won't give Murdoch a penny of my money though, I don't subscribe to Sky....never have & never will....I despise Murdoch more than Allam

5. NorthFerribyTiger

I get around 18 meg on my BT connection & so far it has never let me down....I also have totally unlimited data (useful for streaming TV & BT Sport)

6. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

I think I'm only person who has never had any problems with Karoo.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  7. Titan Tiger

Titan Tiger New Member

Yes there is a speed difference cheaper package gives around 6-11 dearer gives over 10 to 60 but realistically contention plays a part
    still I am happy and saving cash

8. NorthFerribyTiger

Mine is not an expensive package, the cost listed is for line rental, unlimited 24/7 calls, caller ID, Unlimited Broadband (& free BT sport) in a non cable area

9. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Erm. Caller ID is a free service everywhere isn't it? Bit desperate including that.

10. NorthFerribyTiger

Not with BT....you pay for it £1.75 a month, just like you pay for their 1571 answerphone service (you can get it free with a new 12 month contract)

11. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Kinell.

Thanks for giving me another reason to detest BT.

PLT likes this.
  12. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Makes 2 of us then Casual, if anyone cares to got on the various ISP forums you will find that many people, no matter who they are with, will have some gripe about poor service, dropped connections, poor after sales service and all the other stuff people complain about with Karoo. I'm glad they are still here in the city employing local people and contributing to the local economy unlike Comet and others who have decamped eslewhere under some flimsy excuse about Hull's isolation.

PLT and look_back_in_amber like this.
  13. Party Hull!

Party Hull! Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get BT even if I could just coz of those ****ing dire adverts they have of life in a student flat, with that ginger dork who can't play computer games, but loves his router.

What is it with BT and their soap opera recurring ads? No one cares. They're not even meerkats.

Happy Tiger and PLT like this.
  14. GlassHalfHull

GlassHalfHull Well-Known Member

All the ISP choice outside of Hull is an illusion unless you have a good connection to the local BT exchange or access to Virgin. I have a free Sky broadband Internet (crap) as backup for Virgin which is over £40 a month, and great when it's working. When it failed last year along with all their customers where I live, it was off for days. They knew nothing about it when I called, despite an underground explosion that was all over twitter. It loses service randomly and is nowhere near the advertised maximum speed.

15. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Thats interesting. I thought Virgin's speeds were almost guaranteed. The technology they use is the next best thing to KC Lightstream. If I lived away from Hull I'd want to be on their network.

16. TigerRoo

TigerRoo Well-Known Member

Further to my previous post: I was experiencing over 20 drop-outs per day but after a couple of technicians reviewed the system I was told there was nothing wrong. Also, they were only registering 1 or 2 drop-outs at their main base. My personal local 'Geek' thoroughly overhauled my system and found nothing wrong. Telstra then placed me on what the call a 'profile' system telling me that this should reduce the drop-outs. It did, I am experiencing about 5 per day now BUT just about every time I switch sites browsing the internet I get messages such as 'connecting' followed by 'trouble loading the page' and 'try again and (if unsuccessful) 'Broadband Link Error'. After half a dozen attempts I finally get on to the site. My own feeling is that something is interfering with my service (smart meter grid or local airport transmissions or the nearby power station). Most frustrating. My wife's mobile phone internet has no problems whatsoever.

17. GlassHalfHull

GlassHalfHull Well-Known Member

Access speed is fine but their core network is congested and the effect is that it throttles back the capability of Virgin's network.

18. Cityswall

Cityswall Well-Known Member

Lightstream is great IF you can get it. If you can't (like me) and you are stuck on 3Mbps (like me) then it's not a lot of use is it.

19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Are any of the mobile broadband packages worth having yet?

20. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I live in a semi-rural area where BT have no plans to upgrade the infrastructure to support high-speed broadband. After canvassing the area and getting enough commitment (which was only about 30 houses) a company called Gigaclear laid fibre to all the houses. This fibre is connected directly to the national backbone. Speeds offered are upto 100mbps depending on what you pay. So, if anyone is in the same boat it would be worth contacting them, they are keen for business.