1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Altidore red carded

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by JustMeMan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. JustMeMan

JustMeMan Well-Known Member

Haha looks like he told the ref to **** off

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Wonder if I can get text alerts every time an ex Sunderland gets sent off.

3. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Went to give him a yellow then changed it to a straight red for a trip, what a ****ing pathetic **** of a referee, just because he said '**** you'.

What does he think football is, a gentlemans sport?

Proves that some ref's are only in it for the power, failed footballers, pathetic maggots.

4. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Sorry Terry - not sure if you're being sarcastic but I think the ref was spot on - If every ref did this when spoken to like that it would make players have a lot more respect. Why should a player be able to talk to a referee like that? "Just because they do" certainly isn;t a reason - great decision IMO

It has to be across the board though - Jozy knew he was getting yellow carded for a definite yellow card offence - he still to the ref to **** himself - red card is right IMO

Disco down under likes this.
  5. JustMeMan

yes sure text bassnector4444 all calls cost £40 per minute

6. Tel (they/them)

Couldn't agree less mate, the ref was being pathetic. Why should the players show any respect for people who consistently make mistakes in the workplace?

If somebody in my warehouse kept smashing things I'd tell him to **** off home and sack the ****.

In all other walks of life, respect is earned, the same should apply here.

Blunham Mackem likes this.
  7. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

If all referees acted the way that this one did, rightly sending off Dozey Jozy for 'foul and abusive language' the Prima Donnas would soon show some respect, and young-uns would learn how they should treat others :emoticon-0148-yes:

This ****e about referees making mistakes in what is an 'impossible' job is just that . . . . ****e <doh>

8. Tel (they/them)

So that makes it right then because you say it's ****e?

If that red was dished to Cattermole in the derby on Sunday you'd both be spitting feathers.

Getting sent off for swearing, **** sake.

9. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

If a ref has an excellent game and gets every decision spot on - then books someone correctly (similar to Altidore one above) and gets told "**** you" in an aggressive manner, should he send that person off? He has earned the respect by refereeing the game correctly and would still get treated the same by most players (John Terry and Wayne Rooney are two of the worst offenders). Where do you draw the line?

Just have to agree to disagree - saying you'd sack someone for being **** at their job is one thing - but if it's your boss who's being **** at their job and it's up to him or her who gets sacked, you don;t go around telling them "**** you" for absolutely no reason

10. JustMeMan

spot on marcus if they sent a player off for every time the word **** off was used to anybody we would be in trouble. refs are little ****ing twats these days and need to grow some balls.

11. Tel (they/them)

That's the thing though Marcus, your company would be ****ed if your boss made as many mistakes as referees did.

The fact they make mistakes is forgiveable, but they consistently avoid accountability for the mistakes they make. What other profession allows such ineptitude to go unpunished?

It's pathetic, sending somebody off for saying '**** you'.

12. Tel (they/them)

If somebody, anybody, can present a viable debate for this statement, I'll hold my hands up and think about changing my stance.

13. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Cattermole was sent off for foul and abusive language at the end of a derby a few years ago.

Is swearing at a ref not worse than booting the ball into an empty space in the field as petulance or slamming it into the ground in a petulant manner? I think it is - I think the card here was right because it is an aggressive way he has spoken to the ref after the decision.

If a player turns around and says "**** You" at a debatable decision then that's completely different to what Jozy did - but for a stonewall yellow and after the fact when he had no reason to say it - send him off

14. Tel (they/them)

Do you think Cattermole was red carded for just saying '**** you' to the ref?

The difference is, anyway, the game was already finished, I stand by my original comment, you personally mate, you'd hit the ****ing roof if Cattermole was sent off during the game for saying '**** you' to the ref.

Some media are saying it was actually recorded as two yellows anyway that Altidore red, if that's the case, I'm wondering what the rules are for two straight yellows in the space of a few seconds, can you just flash the red instead? If that's the case, the appeal can go in, a loop hole that needs closed surely.

15. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

No he called him a **** - but Andy Carroll did the same thing numerous times in a game with the same ref and didn;t get red carded.

It's different if you're talking to a ref and he says "I think think that was x y or z" and (for arguments sake) Rooney says "**** you man it wasn't" to having a decision which is a blatant yellow card and aggressively saying "**** You" to the ref (as Altidore did) there's more to it than just the swearing - the whole demeanour of Altidore was aggressive towards the ref.

Anyhow - he'll admit and apologise to the fans like Stevie G did and everything will be OK <doh> (wont; say anything to the person he swore at though but still, he'll be commended for it!)

As for the loophole - how many have we seen that slip through loopholes?!

I would hit the roof IF he was the only person punished for it and no-one else was as it happens so many times nowadays

16. Tel (they/them)

Yeah but the scousers are the best in the world at forgiving mate, look at all the **** they forgave Suarez for.

Stevie slipped up last season and they still sing his name like he won them the league.

17. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Not just the ****ing scousers man - the papers as well and most of the press "he's a passionate bloke" - so is Cattermole - yet Cattermole has NEVER in his entire career stamped on anyone and he'd be vilified and they'd want a ten game ban if he did it!

The press say "He's apologised to the fans and his team-mates so should be commended" WHAT ABOUT THE BLOKE HE STAMPED ON YOU ****ING IMBECILES!

Sorry - just annoys me a little the Stevie G. love-in regardless of what he does!

MackemInTheMiddle likes this.
  18. Tel (they/them)

Mate it's ridiculous, you've only just highlighted to me actually that he didn't apologise to Herrera, like you say, the media spin it so it's all about how great he is.

There was an article I read on the United board a few weeks back, a journo claiming Gerrard was better than Scholes and Giggs because he had worse players around him and still had success.

Edit: If it was Balotelli that stamped on Herrera the scousers would be livid.

19. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Disagree fella, everyone should come with default respect, it should be there to be lost, not absent until it's earned, regardless of the saying that's how the world tends to work.

If you work for a boss, do something wrong in his eyes, and you swear at him when he has a word, you still get disciplined, doesn't matter if he's a good boss or a bad boss, he's still the boss and you've broken the rules. You've given an example equivalent to you being the ref not the player, so if that person in your warehouse tells you to **** off after you've well, you've already sent him, (or sent him off) <laugh> brutal Terry, but say you didn't sack him for smashing things but you warn him, then he tells you to **** off, then you'll sack him won't you? You're the voice of authority here like the ref.

We as fans have the right to Judge the refs, we're the paying customers, but if players want to keep the moral high ground with refs, they need to respect them as the voice of authority imo regardless of his performance.

BobbyD and Billy Death like this.
  20. Tel (they/them)

That's a good post Bri, some valid points.

I don't default respect people to be honest, I judge the situation before I respect them.

If there's a bunch of chavs on a street corner, I don't default respect them, I absolutely hate them.

If there's a bunch of old women wanting to get into a shop whilst I'm on my way out, I default respect them, hold the door open like a gentleman innit.

Football referees don't pay footballer's wages, they're not the boss, they're some authority figure on the pitch. I guess it comes down to how you deal with authority, I have huge trouble with such things, in my mind, referees need to sort themselves out if they start sending players off for swearing at them, it's a heated sport where tempers run high and leaving no room for error on the player's part is ruining the sport, especially when the ref's get away with so many.

An apology at the end of the game would suffice for me, as a ref, if it didn't come I'd just think he was a tosser, no big deal.