1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Altidore red carded

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by JustMeMan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

See i'd like to see the whole sport install the sportsmanship of other sports. but while defenders are cheating on corners by sneakily anchoring shirts, players are diving, faking injury and displaying such despicable behavior towards officials (yes that means you too Seb Larsson) and Officials are showing a bias attitude and more of an interest in protecting themselves than upholding the rule of the game. Then this sport will remain a laughing stock to every other sport and I'll continue to become disillusioned with the game. All of this bad sportsmanship is rotting the game imo it should all be wiped out, no just selected aspects. It's sport full of bad tempered disrespectful cheats as far as I'm concerned.

2. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

This 'respect' thing seems to be well and truly lost, with some :emoticon-0101-sadsm

3. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

That's the whole reason my point holds validity mate, I wouldn't condone somebody going up to the referee on the street when he's just out with his wife and kids and call the bloke a ****wit, but whilst the entire sport is riddled with problems involving ill-disciplined, overhyped and overpaid players, then I think it's a bit pathetic to send somebody off for swearing.

If we're going to start somewhere, to claw back some credibility for the sport, then cheating and diving need looked at well before swearing.

It starts and stops with merit. Police officers are supposed to be 'respected', I don't have any respect for most of them, the ones actually willing to make a difference are few and far between. Same goes for referees, bunch of ****ing idiots who need to take their fair share of the blame for ruining this sport.

4. Brian Storm

The problem is the lack of consistency, not the sending off offence. If it was truly consistent for the better would Jozy still have been sent off? Absolutely. Jozy getting sent off is not an issue for me, other players getting away with the same thing is. But to say Jozy shouldn't be sent off because others don't, says nobody should ever be sent of for abusive behavior and allows it to continue. Allowing these things to happen enables it to become part of the culture imo

The Relic likes this.
  5. Tel (they/them)

Which is fine, if it's implemented everywhere, but until it is, then it's pathetic.

Let's look at this scenario, Sunderland vs Hull last game of the season, tight affair, winner takes all, draw both teams go down. Sunderland well on top but it's 0-0, the crowd can feel the goal coming, heat of the moment, Cattermole goes in hard but fair on a challenge and the ref sees it differently, books him, Cattermole tells the ref he's a **** and the ref sends him off. Hull go on to win the game and you go on to play 2nd tier football.

Sunderland playing in the Championship because a referee couldn't take being swore at, during a game with all the intensity of a raging fire.

6. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've 'Liked' this post even though I disagree with it (agree with the last line though). Confused? <laugh><doh>

loved the attitude though!!!

Dispicable_Tel likes this.
  7. Brian Storm

Catts has already been sent off for his choice words following the final whistle, I called him an idiot for it then. So in answer to your question mate it would be Catts I'd have the problem with and I'd probably blame him for our relegation. This is from the view that it was a straight red of course, if a yellow was issued for the fair challenge and a second yellow for the abuse then I'd blame them both.

8. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Don't give refs abuse. Simple as that.

9. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

I've seen plenty lads get sent off in Sunday league for swearing.
    Why should the ****ing pro's be subject to different rules?

10. Brian Storm

The Sunday league refs in my league took no ****e at all, they were cracking in fact, told you the crack before kick off and strived to keep games flowing

Billy Death likes this.

11. Tel (they/them)

Just ****ing me then.

I guess I'm wrong hahaha

Disco down under likes this.
  12. Brian Storm

Not really mate, it's subjective isn't it? You're in the camp where you think it isn't severe and would focus on more serious issues while I'm in the camp to stamp down on it all in one swoop. It's gradual change Vs reform, no right or wrong just different opinions on how to improve the game.

BobbyD and The Relic like this.
  13. Tel (they/them)

See Bri you and I could discuss thing like this with a few beers, get nowhere but still have a good time and enjoy the chat.

Others seem to think it's pointless debating things unless you can change your opposite's opinion.

<cheers>

BobbyD, The Relic and Brian Storm like this.
  14. Brian Storm

While other don't like to have their opinions challenged.

Absolutely fella. even if you don't change your mind. To give it more thought and discussion is always beneficial. Always been a passionate debater, harder on the internet as that passion is often confused as excessively aggressive or defensive. The pub is best place in the world to have a discussion imo.

Dispicable_Tel likes this.
  15. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when we discussed your gayness and I tried to cure it to no avail.

16. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

Ha, he's learned too much rough stuff in England!
    How the hell can you cure gayness? - It's in your jeans ... er, no, I mean genes. Er ... on the other hand. <laugh>

Deleted likes this.
  17. Tel (they/them)

Only because your suggestion was to "Bum it out of you".

Disco down under likes this.
  18. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

Oh sh*t, we're back to witches. The Gayness-Finder General and all that. By today's standards, we'll burn them at the steakhouse no doubt. Burning the buggers at the stake would be politically incorrect, I suppose. Oh sh*t, I'm p*ssed, I'm off to bed.

19. Tel (they/them)

Where do you live mate, UK? That's some good going getting hammered til 6:30 on a week day if you live here <laugh>

20. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not only that but I don't Relic posted a picture on the other thread. Given his apparent age, would it have been a cave painting?

The Relic likes this.