1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

And then there were 2

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

Don't be greedy we only take as many as we need

2. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

Can always rely on you to make my day

3. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

Looks bad now but believe me you will still be playing Premier league next season or I will join Albert in Fenwicks window

J. J. McClure likes this.
  4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

You're right about the effect on the local economy, it's become a major contributor and I dread to think what the 'city' of Sunderland would be without the club. Let's be honest Sunderland is just a big town with around a quarter of a million people. By coincidence, on Look North last night, they were outside the ground asking folk what they thought about the 'survival' and a Doris only mentioned the effect on the town & it's economy, nowt about the team.

But this is the conundrum isn't it?
    People like Ashley don't give a toss about Newcastle, the people or the local economy.
    Not only that, they know the supporters have little choice but to keep turning up so hold them to ransom. The TV money has killed football because a point arrived at which the gates receipts became irrelevant and that's what the 'Ashleys' prey on.

I obviously think it's funny that you lot are suffering but, sadly, the edge is taken off my enjoyment because I know it's just pot luck who gets hold of your club. I remember, when Ashley came in, that I was really concerned that someone had arrived to put money into the club. Unfortunately, for you, he came to take money out and that's the fear for us all.

I consider myself lucky to have lived through the chaotic 70's & 80's when our money mattered and we felt we were somehow all in it together.
    The club knew it could only push us so far and that 'voting with our feet' had a major effect on finances. Now we can protest all we like and it means nowt.

We all really know the game's up but what can we do ......... I just have a few drinks, sing my head off and go crackers if we score. The crack with the lads is what really matters and I support the shirt, the history and the other supporters. We know we're just pawns in a game but at least I play by my rules.

5. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

I don't think people hate us. I think it's genuine sympathy because other fans know that they could have someone like Ashley running their club. The vitriol tends to stem from those fans that have always had it in for us - Man Utd, Liverpool & the London clubs - who quite frankly I couldn't give two ****s about.

6. Heed

Heed well known cheat

The majority of fans from other clubs really don't give a **** about Newcastle United.
    They don't sympathise with us and in any case why would they.

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I had this debate with my mate who's Salford born and bred.
    He reckons most of his Manc mates want us to go down because:
    1- They like Brucie
    2- A lot of them hate us because Shearer turned them down a couple of times.

8. TurkeyToon

TurkeyToon Active Member

I think the fact that most people seem to miss is this. Even though Hull are playing Man Utd and us West Ham, most people seem to expect Hull to win and us to lose. That is a massive statement on how shiite we are when even on paper all the odds are in our favour, punters are punting on Hull to stay up. How low have we fcuking sunk as a football club. FCUK ME!!!!

9. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

You might think 'he's bound to say that' but, as an outsider I might be able to give you a different point of view.

When Newcastle had Robson they were well liked, with Keegan people loved the idea of someone different winning the title and various managers had you playing some great crazy football that people loved to watch. Since then there's been a huge change in people's perceptions and now, I'd have to say, Newcastle have become the club that people do actually hate.

Stoke have improved their image, Hull aren't big enough to really hate & there are a load of nonentity clubs like Sunderland, West Ham, Swansea, etc.
    Newcastle stand out a mile as the club that gets on people's nerves tbh.

Ashley, and the club, have made a lot of people really dislike NUFC and the supporters have created an image that many don't like. All the 'Geordie Nation' stuff, horse-punching, the various protests/funeral marches/ Cockney Mafia stuff has become tedious beyond belief for many. There's barely a week when there isn't a new banner/sit in/walk out and it's put the majority in a poor light rather than the minority who seem to be attention seeking & arrogant.

I think you got a taste of it when you were relegated and everyone laughed at the 'Who's your next Messiah' banner.

Since then you've had seemingly endless riots, protests, etc.
    The hysteria of the 'Keegan comeback' left a lot of people groaning and the unjustified arrogance of people like JFK, Ashley, Carver, etc just makes people roll their eyes. I can't think of any other club that's had so much air time for marches through the town, boycotts & assorted jumping around for the cameras.

I talk to lots of opposition supporters, at various Sunderland games, and you'd probably be amazed at how many just want the endless circus' at SJP to go away for a while and would be happy to see you relegated. I know the majority are tarred by the same brush as the 'handful of idiots with bedsheets' but that's the media friendly world we have to live in these days.

10. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

The trouble is though, the circus isn't likely to go away any time soon. I would kill to have the days back when we played kamikaze football. We may not have won anything, but we entertained a lot of people. Ashley and his mob have destroyed that. The football we play is dire. We're constantly in the news for all of the wrong reasons and it's largely embarrassing being associated with the club these days. We probably do irritate people because it seems like we're constantly whining. Mainly because we actually are. I am sick of it myself. I don't think a lot of fans genuinely hate us, bar those I mentioned. I just think they're sick of hearing about us.

Ashley is the problem. The Burnham shopkeeper has dragged the image of the club down to his level. Add to that the odd idiot that associates themselves with the club and claims to be a fan [i.e. the morons that riot and punch horses] and it's just some really bad joke. If we go down, we deserve it. Ashley deserves it. What the club needs is a complete overhaul. New faces and a new start. Get back to being the club that people loved and respected. With Mike Ashley and his cronies that will never happen. He needs to find some other mug to use to promote his crappy Sports brand.

Smug in Boots likes this.

11. TurkeyToon

TurkeyToon Active Member

Look at MKDONS, who wud have thought they cud be where they are now. I used to live in Tooting, Balham area and used to walk past Bramall Lane after they left. After one very heavy night me and my mates forced the fencing and walked into the ground. It was like a post apocalypse scene. Trees growing in the centre circle, grass 3 feet high and wild roses and creepers growing round the posts at either end. Football in the Premier League these days is a franchise in but name. The game as we all used to know and love has gone. Either embrace it or drop out.. I have chose the latter!!! But I still like to moan about it though!! LOL

12. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Ooo... His mum accessed his account again...

13. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Thats a canny hike! Do you mean Plough Lane? haha!

14. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Best of luck lads on Sunday, I sincerely hope Mrs Doubtfire gets his due, and we can have three Premiership teams in the NE next season, all doing well, we deserve it.

15. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Nice one clockstander. As well as the toon staying up, I'd love to see boro win on Monday. Would be great for the north east.

16. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

You should thank god that you are not a fish !!!!!!!!!!

17. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Are you saying your ma's so wet for me I should have been one?

18. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

I used to pass there on the train sometimes and I do remember the trees growing on the pitch.

19. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Defo. It was funny being the team who came down from the PL who everyone wanted beat. Every game build up always had a minimum of one aggressive heed the ball. The away fans at the games were great too. I wish I'd still been on the away days at times.

Only time under Ashley's regime where the target was progress. The club had a purpose and we had a group of players who gave a **** and connected with fans. Ashley soon ripped that out <laugh>

I still don't think its all that bad. Take the local economy out of it and I couldn't give a ****. As a person running a business which probably won't be massively affected, I feel for the businesses which will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.