1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Andros Townsend

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Lord Jonjomort, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Never go back is the cry. But I remember in my youth going back to a few pussies and I enjoyed just as much if not more the second time. I don't think he's a Rafa type of player and I don't think he will be returning.

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Too ****ing many. Never drinking again.

3. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

4. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Eat some muesli it's all about loyalty and I won't give up on that notion even if all I have is hope

5. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

You can't really blame him for wanting to stay in the Prem to protect his England career. Of all the deserters, he's the one I'd have back cos he actually played like he wanted to be there and gave a ****. He was a breath of fresh air last year compared to the attitude of the likes of Sissoko.

Would be a tough one to swing, buy if there's any chance of getting him back now at a reasonable price we should go direct, class player who'd rip the championship apart.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  6. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I'd definitely take him back. He always worked hard for us while he was here. We could have done with some other players scrapping like him to keep us up last season. I think he would probably not have gone in hindsight.

7. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

What England career? Has done absolutely nothing at Spurs and Palace. Yes he uplifted us for those few months but I have serious doubts as to whether he would do it consistently and over a long period of time.

Unless we are planning of getting rid of Ritchie (like for like) then it takes money available away from much needed positions. We need at least 2 new central midfielders for the PL and we should be aiming to get one of those in now. We also need a new striker.

8. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Andros was quality and can play left-wing so can slot straight in. I'd have him back instantly.

As for the loyalty angle, he had an agreement with the club that he could be sold if we went down from day 1. He didn't turn around and do or say anything wrong, he kept his own council and when an offer came in the club were obliged to accept he made a footballing decision. If he hadn't had a clause would he have been under-hand in engineering a move? Maybe, who knows. The idea that him being very good for us in the Premiership last season is a reason NOT to sign him is crazy for me. He's premiership standard and I'd have him in a heartbeat.

Having said that: Rafa decision >>> my decision. If Rafa told me we needed to re-sign Shola as he'll fire us to Europe I'd be tempted to get a new shirt with his name on it.

JakartaToon and J. J. McClure like this.
  9. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Townsend is a one trick pony. Speed down the right flank - when he gets to the 18 yard line, he abruptly cuts toward the center of the pitch. He relies on his pace to create an opening, and when he gets it, he launches a bending, well struck, Bale-like effort at goal. I watched every Spurs game from the time Dempsey arrived 'til Yedlin went on loan to SAFC. Once in the line up after an extended period out of the side, he'd score just such a highlight goal, which would be replayed over and over, which would lead to a national team call up, where he would score a similar type of goal, and then once back at Spurs, everyone new how to defend him - leading to an extended period out of the side.

Flash likes this.
  10. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

I liked Luther Andros and Pete Townsend but aren't they a little old.

11. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

He's ****

Flash likes this.
  12. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

13. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

If he improves the squad then its a yes from me. You need to remember that it really is just a job for the majority of players nowadays. They just don't have the emotional attachment that we do to the club, and why should they. I have zero emotional attachment to my place of work and I'm ****ing worshipped like a god :emoticon-0172-mooni

14. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Andros would be our best winger by a mile, yet there are people saying no to him?

He didn't jump ship, he and his Dad only had good things to say about the club but he got offered a position elsewhere at a top flight club.

Bring in Andros, Abied http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/af...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490 and Berbatov (for 6 months just as cover).

All three are fond of the club, 1 is free (Berba), one is in France so right up Carr's street and inexpensive (Abied) and the other could be bought for less than we sold him for 6 months ago (Andros)...

No brainer for me, covered all our bases and could be done in a week. **** off Carr, I should be in charge...

J. J. McClure likes this.
  15. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Was sorry to see him go. Bear him absolutely no ill will.

Don't want him back. Sends wrong message, is the wrong way of thinking.

Flash and PhilK like this.
  16. PhilK

PhilK Active Member

I'd be happy to have him back, I just don't think he'd come and 2ndly I don't think he'd be what we think he'd be if he did

17. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

I don't think we can worry about the minutiae of principle. We need creativity and pace with the ball for the next few weeks.

It's pretty unlikely that we'll get any Premiership player. But I'd favour a player of his quality.

18. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Bring him back, play him on the right and move Matt Ritchie inside to centre mid. Two problems solved.
    Back four, Townsend and either Gouff/Lazaar on the wings, Shelvey, Ritchie and DM through the middle and striker up top - sorted!

19. Beardsley's Shimmy

Beardsley's Shimmy Well-Known Member

Isn't there a rule stopping two transfers in the same season?

20. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Can't play for more than two teams in one season.