1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Anyone give blood out there?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Feb 4, 2016.

1. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

...and to cap it all you're a Newcastle supporter too. I hope that you have The Samaritans' number on speed-dial.

2. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

I give blood every time we lose. Not mine you understand but various random ****s I deem fit to be sacrificed to the Dark Lord.

3. Heed

Heed well known cheat

So you've been quite busy the last few years.

4. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie Well-Known Member

Hi ACS, I give blood, have done since I was 18 so, err, just a few years :emoticon-0136-giggl last time I went was just 10 days ago, new venue, 30 minutes late from my 'appointment' time, although its not usually that bad. However when I finally got to give blood, the nurse faffed about so much I could have donated my entire blood supply in the time it took her to just put the blood pressure thing around my arm ... :emoticon-0104-surpr

I asked my Mum only recently how come she started giving blood (as I decided as a child it was what I wanted to do when I was old enough just because my Mum did it) and she said Grandad always went following his time in WW2 as they encouraged the soldiers to give blood. So each time I go now I remember my Grandad :emoticon-0100-smile

5. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Lovely reason that Mrs M. Lovely reason indeed. :)

6. Heed

Heed well known cheat

It's surprising how many people are unable to give blood, or won't for whatever reason.

As someone who has had a few transfusions in my time, I have nothing but respect for anyone who gives it. <ok>

Just remember, you never know when it will be you or your family needing someone else's blood.

Go on, Give Blood, it doesn't hurt.....

J. J. McClure likes this.
  7. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

I have no end of mates who won't make the effort to give blood even though the transfusion service visits a sports hall no further than 200 yards from where they live or work. And the same mates seem to be grateful when members of their families receive blood thus saving their lives. But they won't go that extra step to make that contribution themselves.

Over here in Wales (though this week we're on the Saxon side of the border) the situation is similar, but worse, when it comes to organ donation. There's not enough healthy organs up for donation. Again people will be glad then they can have a new kidney, heart or lung but how many actually have said that they are willing to donate after death?

It's got so bad that now in Wales they've changed the local rules that Welsh residents are deemed to have donated their organs unless they actually opt out. As it happens my wife and I have opted out because we've sorted out giving our bodies to science so donation isn't appropriate in our case. I am in two minds about this new law: on one hand I don't like the way that the government has taken control of our bodies but, on the other hand, if people weren't so stupid and selfish about donating organs which will be useless to them then this wouldn't be needed.

Body donation. If one isn't religious and feel that donating one's body to a teaching hospital is something for the greater good then go for it. The advantages are many: first, it helps the next generation of slashers and gassers, secondly, it makes the hassle of funeral arrangements easier for those whom you leave behind and, thirdly, there's no funeral costs to pay. Older members of our families have made these arrangements, which must be done before death, and it really makes things a lot easier, less macabre and certainly a lot cheaper given that the cheapest funeral will be over £1,000 and that's just hiring the undertaker taking the body to a crematorium with no service.

So just don't stop at giving blood. There's more that you can give.

8. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I gave blood ten times and then stopped (was a few years ago and got my red card upgraded to some other colour, purple perhaps?). My one phobia is needles and I hoped that giving blood would help me overcome it, I'll be honest I hated every second. I just stared at the ceiling counting from 1 to whatever number i got to until they told me it was done whilst fighting the urge to just tear it out of my arm and run away.

Pretty pathetic I know but though it was important to do it, hoped it would help and was pretty much some of the worst experiences of my life - just because it is my worse fear really. Can't rationalise it, but yes i have and I may do again in future. Good to hear others do as there's a national shortage and if I can do it then anyone can!