1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we all Leicester fans now?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Missing Lambo, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

I've often made it clear that I don't do "second teams". So this is not asked with this idea in mind, but much simpler than that. If Leicester could win the league or even just fall short and qualify for the CL would this mark an odd year, or might it indicate that the league is genuinely open?

Obviously there is a strong Saints interest in the latter. What do you think?

2. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

if LCFC win the League, it'll be the best thing that has ever happened in the Premier League era. Who wouldn't be happy with that?

HP Sauce, JDYSFC, BaJou and 4 others like this.
  3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even mind if Spurs won....

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Who can hate Leicester? Rather it was us, but would like them to win the league more than any other team. Amazing turn around since it was that long ago they faced relegation.

5. Island Saint

Island Saint Well-Known Member

How refreshing if the whole of the top 4 was different this season??!! As long as Liverpool are not one of them! I am hoping West Ham can displace one of the 'big boys' - that's if we can't obviously!

6. fran-MLs little camera

West Ham....never. Would rather have one of the usual suspects....can't have them crowing.

7. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I am an honoury "Fox" except for one of their games

8. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I don't root for Leicester as much as a I should. A little part of me says "That should have been us."

But it's hard not to root for the underdog. And even from a selfish standpoint, Leicester winning the PL makes it better for Saints in the long-term.

So yeah, I still root for them and want them to win it. But there's definitely a bit of sour grapes mixed in.

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Breath of fresh air, aren't they ?

Whether this is a one-off, with a return to the old order next season, or a genuine break in the glamour club stranglehold, I'm not sure. But the question it answers is that literally any club could do what Leicester City are doing. It puts an end to the supporter who can categorically state that this or that club could never achieve a title or a champions league place. Let's leave the cynicism to pundits, who are always telling us what is possible and what is not, and be open minded enough not to take their words as gospel. Leicester City are proof of the little they actually know for certain. For sure, our intelligence tells us that better players should beat inferior players most of the time. But football is a team game, and a team of generally inferior players will be more than a match every time, for a team of better players, if that former team play with confidence, cohesion, skill and tactics enough to overcome their inferiority. What Leicester are doing has been done several times before, though perhaps not recently [Blackburn Rovers ?]. They're not there yet, but I won't put anything past them.

I can't help but admire Leicester City if only because it's so damn good for football. What they can achieve, we can also.

10. fran-MLs little camera

With the money in the EPL, all clubs have decent players and modern players are generally athletes. No room for drinking and smoking cloggers as in the past. Therefore, good coaching and team selection can make a hell of a difference in producing a good team that play together. This is what Saints are trying to do. Some of the top clubs have to learn this....they think just buying a top CB, top RB etc will produce a team. This is kind of a transition period.

Missing Lambo and TheSecondStain like this.

11. 6-3

6-3 Active Member

I wouldn't go as far as to say I want us to lose when we play up there, but I really won't mind if we do. At least we can do them a favour by beating Spurs and City.

12. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago everyone was bemoaning how dull and predictable the Prem was. So this season is a breath of fresh air. You never know, it might even make a few players think twice before requesting a transfer to one of the so-called big boys. That in itself would be beneficial to us.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  13. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

3rd place.

14. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Yes. If you aren't a fan of Arsenal/City/Spurs and you aren't cheering for Leicester to win the title, you are a legitimately bad person and deserve to have all of your weekends ruined by roving gangs of yodelers, IMO.

Libby, Lovelocum, RSS and 4 others like this.
  15. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Hell Yeah, I'm rooting for them, it would be truly groundbreaking and will only be good for the competition, plus I've got a cousin who lives in Loughborough who is a Foxes nutter.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  16. Missing Lambo

Oh I bloody hate that. Just settling down with a decent glass of red, and yodelers turn up. There are few things worse. Sorry, is this a Pete and Dud sketch?

17. Missing Lambo

Straight red. Off the board now. Je suis Charlie and all that, but sometimes free speech should be curtailed.

18. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Would be stoked if Leicester win. If Spurs and Leicester keep 2 of Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool out then that's fine by me.

19. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Seeing as Chelsea were still being discussed as having a very slim chance of making the top 4, after tonight's 0-0 with Watford, I think I'll add Saints as contenders too.

20. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I love the way Leicester play but I can't cheer them on, owing to having spent a couple of years working in the area, and knowing some absolute arseholes up there.
    That and the clackers they use, and the drum next to the away support (unless they've moved it), to make their support sound better than it is.
    But if it's a choice between them and Spurs, then come on Leicester.