1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we staying up?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Graham Carr's Binoculars Well-Known Member

I think it's between us, Hull and yourselves for third bottom. Villa have decent fixtures and are playing well. Leicester are flying and will beat us comfortably.

I'm struggling to see us getting another point let alone a win. Hull have some horrendous fixtures but have a victory which will boost confidence and I think you guys only have 3 games where you can realistically expect points.

QPR and Burnley are gone.

2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I am afraid you conclusions are spot on, all we can do is hope we can both outdo the BFGB in the remaining few games its doable, but I would rather be in your shoes than ours tbh.

3. Graham Carr's Binoculars

We have points on the board which is good but are without doubt currently the poorest and most out of form team in the league. Not to mention our team has zero back bone or bottle.

36 points should be enough to keep teams up this season. I think 35 will see a third bottom finish. I'd have said we were safe if it wasn't for Hull's win yesterday.

4. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

I think we've had it this time. We just can't win games (apart from derbies) and it's going to be a regrouping in the Championship next term.

Why we are where we are with the talent in the squad I don't know. But we are really ****ed I fear...

Mackem-Tiz and The Relic like this.
  5. Graham Carr's Binoculars

One thing I do know is that if we go down we won't be straight back up like last time. We had Nolan, Barton, Carroll who knew had to battle but also had that extra touch of quality. We'd be left with nobody worth a mention if we drop.

6. clockstander

I don't think it will be easy for either of us to get back tbh, but I think we might if we can keep the core players we have in the side, and introduce some of our U21's. Dead right about that Hull win tho' it was a killer on top of the Leicester result.

7. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

He's got a new contract anyway, and if it was up to me i would give him another chance.

I don't see anyone who'd want to work with our chairman. I dunno how Bruce puts up with him. Most our fans are walking & not renewing next year because of that kernt.

Aussie blackcat85 and Nostalgic like this.
  8. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Hull v Burnley
    Aston Villa v Burnley

These games plus our Leicester game are key and everything could change again ...........

9. Smug in Boots

To be fair mate, I've heard that story a million times from Newcastle posters ......... I doubt Hull are any different.

10. clockstander

It has too mate, we cant take much more tbh.

11. Smug in Boots

The players deserve to go down but we don't ....... once again we can't rely on our own team to come up with the goods.

They did it last season which just showed they'd been working their tickets for most of the games.

Aussie blackcat85 likes this.
  12. clockstander

Spot on, lets hope they can do it once more, if (and its a big if) they do, we must do some serious re-building this summer. The team looked up for it against Stoke, but its our home form, that's the main worry, this week is huge.

13. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Looking at the fixtures, I think Leicester have now done enough and won't screw it up from here, Hull's win at the weekend was a body blow, I think they will get a few more points, unfortunately, I think Newcastle have enough points in the bag (we certainly won't overtake that number of points)...so unless we have a repeat of last seasons heroics, next season we will be in the second tier and to be honest, the way we have played this season, that's where we deserve to be.

The Relic likes this.
  14. Smug in Boots

I expect Chelsea to win at Leicester on Wednesday as Pearson will rest a few.

That will make their next game, at home to Newcastle, very interesting.

We'll be playing Southampton, at home, and a win while Leicester draw would leave things like this, ignoring the other games for a moment .........

Newcastle ..35 -21 36
    Sunderland 34 -23 33
    Aston Villa .............32
    Leicester ....35 -16 32
    Hull .......................31
    QPR ......................27
    Burnley .................26

We'd be a point above Leicester with a game in hand & them to come to Sunderland which would be interesting.
    That could put us 4 points clear of them and Newcastle look like a club in a crisis ....... just saying like <ok>

15. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Every time I do the predictor, the 3rd bottom team has gone down with 35 points. No matter how biased I am to each particular team and how many freak results I chuck in to the predictor, I always end up with 35 points in 18th.

More often than not, the team in 17th has also got 35 points and it has come down to goal difference.

Newcastle are not safe, not yet, but I can see the return of De Jong, Sissoko, Cisse etc getting them a point from somewhere.

Probably a handshake with Pulis before the game at SJP which would probably suit both teams.

16. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Conveniently forgot that one ! Fair point. Just hope we get a few more.

17. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

If we were scoring lots of goals but still losing out i might be more optimistc. The fact that we are not makes me think we're going to come up short and are going down. I can't see us getting better than a draw against Southampton.

18. Smug in Boots

This time last season we were about 6 points adrift and a terrible run of fixtures.

We're now 1 point behind, Leicester to play at home and better fixtures than Hull.

I'm not dancing in the streets but I won't be going here just yet .......

........ http://www.samaritans.org/branches/sunderland

clockstander likes this.
  19. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

load of bollocks,the samaritans, if they really cared they would phone you wouldnt they .

20. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

Realistically, we don't need to even win a couple of games. A few draws would be fine and maybe sneak a win somewhere. Leicester can't keep up this form. Its more than reasonable that we'll grab a few draws and a win.

Smug in Boots likes this.