1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal best formation.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheBear, Aug 15, 2017.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread but thought it would be better discussed here..

Might be controversial this but I'm thinking our best starting 11 may exclude Ozil.

--------------------------Cech-----------------------------
    ----------Holding---Koscielny---Mustafi-------------
    Bell/Ox------Ramsey-------Xhaka------Kolasinac
    -------------------------Sanchez-------------------------
    -----------Lacazette-------------Giroud--------------

On current form/influence you would have to say Giroud is offering the team more than Ozil. (particularly given the fact Ozil is not playing in his best position)

The other reason I think a 3-5-2 would be our best option is that a 3-5-2 it would get more out of Sanchez.
    Wherever you play the little Chilean he will give a good shift but in the middle just behind the front two would give him more influence than playing out on the wing

A forward line of Lacazette, Giroud and Sanchez would get plenty of goals and would offer a good mixture of pace, size and trickery.

This could all change depending on who we sign/sell in the next few weeks.

Thoughts?

2. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I already gave you mine. Ozil created 6 chances against Leicester, most on the team.

We are not half as good with him not in the side, before he even touches the ball.

3. TheBear

We would have to try it.
    Ozil is currently being played out on the left. He's not a WF. At least in this system everyone is playing in their actual best position.

Giroud is playing too well at the moment to get dropped and Lacazette needs games. Who gives us more Ozil out on the left or Giroud in the form of his life?

Sanchez down the middle also makes sense.

I do genuinely think this side would be harder to beat.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

No Monreal or Ozil ?

I'd go with the following

....Holding....Koscielny.....Monreal
    Bellerin.....Ramsey......Xhaka.......Oxo
    .................Ozil.............Sanchez.........
    ......................Lacazette......................

5. TheBear

I like Monreal but if your going to play 3 at the back - best to play 3 centrebacks.

On current form Giroud over Ozil. He gives goals, an aerial presence and helps us defensively.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It's a different formation to include Giroud and Lacazette, but they would work well together. Personally I think it's an option we should use later on in games.

Also at the back. I think Mustafi plays better as a CB in the middle, I'd much prefer to have Monreal on the left in a back 3

7. TheBear

Games like Saturdays are exactly why people doubt Mesuts worth.

The guy is one of the most talented players around but he totally invizible against Stoke. He hides when things get physical.

---------------Sanchez------------
    ------Giroud--------Lacazette------

Makes alot more sense in these games.

8. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Personally I didn't think Ozil had a bad game against stoke. And Sanchez wasn't available. I'd have liked to see Giroud in there for that kind of game though.

PINKIE likes this.
  9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Disagree with that. Although overall we were poor on Saturday, Ozil was one player who was working hard to try and unlock that stoke defence.

winifred122 and afcftw like this.
  10. TheBear

I dont agree. As Martin Keown said 'Mesut Ozil needs to have a good hard look at himself'.
    He's capable of soo much more than he gives us.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Keown has a chip on his shoulder about Ozil. Okay it wasn't his best game, but he shouldn't be singled out for blame in that game, he was actually working hard to try and find a chink in those banks of Stoke defence.

I usually respect what keown has to say, but he has been banging on this summer about how both Ozil and Sanchez should be sold <doh>

winifred122 and afcftw like this.
  12. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Ozil worked hard to get around the pitch, constantly offered for the ball trying to look for a space for a pass. He went round a couple of players which is good to see and played some good through balls to oxo out wide. He had a couple of shots as well which he often doesn't. TBH it was our finishing that let us down against stoke.

winifred122 and PINKIE like this.
  13. TheBear

He's a classy player, does some great things. Will get more assist than most midfielders without even trying.

I think Arsenal fans need to admit that some of the critsicm he receives is warranted. He has disappeared FAR to often in big games for Arsenal. Last Season against Bayern for example he was awful. He's a World Class player that rarely gives World Class performances.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

He does deserve some criticism for going missing in some games. But Stoke on Saturday wasn't one of them.