1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal v Palace

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by remembercolinlee, Apr 7, 2017.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep, even the best teams can lose on the day. But we look like we might lose every week. We have serious issues in a variety of areas. It's going to take a complete overhaul to address our current predicament.

2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

If Wenger goes today, with the same owners how quickly do you think a new manager
    with his squad will get back your precious CL slot (assuming you lose it come May) ??

And will it depend on no EL football etc.

3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It depends on who we could appoint. It's clear the club haven't got anybody lined up, so that process is going to take some time. For that reason (unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat this summer) Wenger should stay until the club have secured a suitable successor.

4. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

In peace, but what is the deal with Wenger? From the outside, I'm not sure I've seen arrogance like it with regards his future. Comments like "I've made my mind up and will tell you when the time is right" and "I'm not in the mood to talk about it" just smack of a man who is so far up his own hole he makes Jose look like Gandhi.

It may be I'm reading it wrong, or there's a reason for this, but it seems so incredibly selfish to the point where it's now going to have a seriously damaging effect on the team. What's the opinion here?

5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

The real problem here is the ineffective Board and owner, who have been reluctant to change and modernise the existing setup. As Piskie has pointed out, i don't think they have a replacement or seriously thought about it. They've been lazy and comfortable with him taking total control that they haven't seen Captain Wenger steered us towards the very large iceberg.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

6. LuisDiazgamechanger

Wenger should have gone earlier than know, he is just making the whole thing messy. He has taken Arsenal to as far as he can. Arsenal Board
    are weak they should sack him.

7. lazarus20000

Of course he's one arrogant sod but he's been able to get away with it for so long due to fans worshipping him blindly. I used to really like him in the early days, but he's become difficult to like now.

Sign Da Ting and Quilllogic like this.
  8. Sign Da Ting

Sign Da Ting Well-Known Member

It's his arrogance that pisses me off with Wenger. If he was just humble enough to admit his best days are way past behind him, it wouldn't be an issue. But it's his "I've built this club up, you should be grateful" attitude that just tarnish his legacy and make him detestable.

Even the most ardent of Arsene fans have been turned off by his complete indifference to the harm he's causing the club.

9. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

Do you think it's fear? Didn't he come out the other day and comment that retired people are just waiting to die. Maybe he genuinely believes and fears it, so will try to cling on at any cost.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wonder if he's surrounded himself with yes men, so he doesn't really hear that much criticism day-to-day?
    He's not doing badly, exactly, just not as well as Arsenal fans would hope or the club's finances would suggest.
    Maybe he believes that he can turn things round, if he's given a season or two more?

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

He still just might ....

12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

That's true, but the current toxic atmosphere amongst the fans will be hard to turn around.
    He'll need a positive end to the season and a successful summer window, for a start.

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The toxicity at our club is terrible, I've never known anything like this even going back to the days of Don Howe. Wenger looks dead in the water at the moment. But, it would only take us to go on a 2-3 game winning streak and the situation would look a lot better again. If, and it's a big if, because it would mean doing things differently, but if we can sign some good players in the summer and start next season well, then there is potential for Wenger to turn this around. But it has to be acknowledged, that it looks a long way off currently.

14. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Might what? Turn things around? :steam:

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I think that the fan thing is something that's not isolated to Arsenal.
    People used to expect teams to have good and bad seasons and react accordingly.
    Now you're **** and should be sacked if you lose two games on the trot.

The media attention is 24/7, people spend a lot of money and the pressure's been ramped up.
    A couple of wins won't turn it around for him, in my opinion.
    Anything other than a victory over Boro would be a disaster, though.

16. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

If a 2-3 game winning would make you start having faith in him again then more fool you. Ridiculous.

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I agree that winning 2 or 3 games won't turn it around, but it would make a big difference to the current toxicity. You're right that the game is different these days, results are expected rather than hoped for and the pressure is intense.

I think Wenger's time is done at Arsenal. He might turn it around, but I honestly can't see it.

18. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

unless he suddenly has a revelation that the football played isn't what he fantasises it is and buys some proper workhorses with some height instead of shetland show ponies, the longer he stays the lower your league placing will become.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Height doesn't mean fight. Chelsea have Kante, Pedro and Hazard in their side and they're all midgets.
    The problems are tactical and on the coaching side, in my opinion.

Sign Da Ting and Quilllogic like this.
  20. lazarus20000

No he isn't. There is NO proof that he can ever do it. Even if we did a Back to the Future and grabbed a young Wenger, he would do exactly the same sh1t. He believes what he's doing is right, don't you get this? He never once admits his faults or is willing to alter his failed ideology.

Quilllogic likes this.