1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal vs Chelsea Match Thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheBear, Feb 4, 2017.

1. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Yeah and back then if you elbowed someone in the head you got sent off.

2. ToledoTrumpton

Concussion is brain damage. Your brain bleeds.

You are a ****ing idiot, if you don't know that.

3. ToledoTrumpton

Just not true. There is far more concussion in the game today than there was even 50 years ago. As hard as people played back then they just didn't fly into headers the way they do today.

There is this myth that the game was tougher back then, but there was a real prohibition about doing something really dangerous. Go back and look at the injuries. Even just the impact injuries. Far far less.

4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Think you'll find it's because peoples attitudes to concussion was that it was nothing. You only need to look at how serious concussion is taken in yank football whereas even 10 years ago players just played through it. Same with Rugby.

I don't think anyone can take you seriously. The fact that challenges from behind, scissor tackles and 2 footed challenges are immediate red cards already means the players are safer from the violent players in the past. Revi's leeds and the crazy gang wouldn't last a minute in this era. People literally made careers out of being hatchet men.

5. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

(92 teams in the football league x first team of 11 players x average of 50 games a season x 90 minutes per game) = 75,900 hours of football played per season. How many cases of concussion are there in the Football League during that time? Ten? Obviously, even one case is one too many but the way you go on about it you'd think that players are dropping dead in their hundreds every weekend. Robert Huth's elbow would be condemned as a weapon of mass destruction if your descriptions were accurate.

The problem clearly isn't the element of physical contact. Research has highlighted time and again that the focal point of grievance and complaint should be the response to concussion and head injuries on the rare occasion that they do happen. We know this all too well as Hugo Lloris ridiculously playing on after suffering concussion in 2013 served to finally drag the issue to the fore. Head injuries in general are treated much more sensibly and if the referee has even the slightest inkling of harm, the player in question must leave the pitch, even if they 'feel fine'.

Resorting to personal insults is a pretty ineffective way to back up an argument, I find. <ok>

crackerman jack and Naas Blue like this.
  6. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

It's as if Ian St John was reading this thread. Bang on cue...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38911979

7. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

The only f*cking idiot here is you. You seriously need help with your ridiculously over reactive posts

Naas Blue likes this.
  8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Looking back at that chelsea goal where Bellerin was concussed, it should have been ruled out for a foul. I can see why the ref gave it at the time, but if that had been anywhere else on the pitch, then it would have been a foul.

9. ToledoTrumpton

Sorry seen too many lives ruined by head injuries. It isn't something to joke about or be off-hand about. One club I was at we had two kids less than 18, in one season told they had to stop playing contact sports for the rest of their lives, because of that sort of challenge, both were throwing up for 2 weeks after the injury.

You can jump with your arms down. and you don't need to be leading with a forearm, If you can't you shouldn't be playing.

I played football for 40 years and I never came close to hitting anyone with a forearm, or being hit by a forearm. Now you see head injuries almost every game. This is going to be a big problem for football down the road, just like it still is for the NFL.

Xhaka gets a four game ban for a tackle that harldly needed the trainer on, and Arsenal are being implored by experts to make sure Bellarin takes the full 10 days out.

Yet you are trying to tell me that old-fashioned sliding challenge from Xhaka is way more dangerous that that forearm slam to the side of the head?

You might be interested in this article.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/health/youth-soccer-safety/

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  10. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that's true. Show me a study that shows there are more concussions today in the professional game.