1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal manager agrees two-year contract

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, May 30, 2017.

1. Sir Tennisball

Sir Tennisball Well-Known Member

Welcome back afc, haven't seen you post in a while...

Just in time for Mafia?

2. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

Haha he doesn't help himself does he?! If we had these in addition to 1 or two marquee signings we'd be quite happy. Admittedly we haven't announced these deals but the fact they're in the headlines and big names aren't implies we're not close to anything major yet.

3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

We've got Wenger for another two years. The moaning will do nothing to change that situation. If you really support the team, then get behind them 100%

4. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I'm constantly busy at the moment, business is going well and along with the girlfriend takes up most of my time at the moment. I might sign up for a mafia game but won't be as active as I previously would have been!

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I agree that constant moaning doesn't help, but how do you protest as a fan when you think the club is going in the wrong direction? Do we let the same thing happen over and over again? You yourself have agreed that Wenger is past it but if you don't say or do anything then the people in charge will do whats best for them.

We can all agree that getting back to the top will take some doing, most of which will have to happen in the transfer window. But past experiences tell you they won't, the FA Cup will be used as justification for non action. I can't believe they or anyone that is pro Wenger can't see the impending problems when things don't go well next season. No one is that blind Piskie.

I dislike all the pantomime stuff but it is guaranteed to come back if we have a poor summer window. No one can deny any fan the right to protest, they have earned the right by buying tickets, merchandise and supporting the team.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think it all depends on what happens this summer and how well we start the season. If we make a couple of good signings and we carry our good form into the new season, then the atmosphere should improve. The FA cup win was good for the fans and great for the players in terms of confidence and a reward for their end of season efforts.

I'm not denying that the atmosphere will turn sour again if we have a run of bad results. I just really want to see our fans get behind the players and team 100%. We really need to grasp the concept of the 12th man at the Emirates, because at times our fans attitude has played right into the oppositions hands.

7. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

Everyone read his comments yeah?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40103874

Picked out this old gem. "We have a very heavy squad at the moment so maybe we might lose some players. We will work very hard to find the additions of top, top quality. I believe that our squad is very strong and we will only look for top-class people who can strengthen our team now." We've heard the same before about the top top quality ballbags but can't recollect him saying we'll lose people. Who are we thinking?

I'd say: Ospina, Sanogo, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Walcott, Perez (boo), Campbell and possibly even Giroud.

Going to free up a fair bit of money, not to mention spaces in the squad. I'd not be upset to see 2 or 3 other names added to the list. Even players I adore like Santi are probably at risk considering age/fitness.

Sign Da Ting and gooner4ever like this.
  8. lazarus20000

Of course, the atmosphere is so important. I want to see a different window, get the players in early so that we can plan the season out. I don't care about anything else other than the league. I seriously have no idea what our targets are for this year, Wenger may well have a surprise or not. If he thinks he's got a team good enough to challenge then god help him, because the boo's will be even worse, the abuse amplified. We talk about the manager but what about the players? It's got to have an adverse effect on them too. They could unravel quickly when they start again.

PINKIE likes this.
  9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

See PeterRicks post.... classic lines from Wenger.

I'm pretty confident about my prediction now i've seen his standard line trotted out

10. lazarus20000

I agree with your original post it's something all us fans have experienced for many years, i just can't believe that they don't see the impending problems coming next season, should they not have a solid window and team restructure. Do i think they will? not really, but i still hope they do.

11. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

The Arsene/Arsenal situation is pretty dire. However, one thing that is quite obvious from all of this debacle is that us as fans have an over inflated opinions of ourselves (I mean this in a nice way). We do not have the power (fan power) that we think we have. Many teams (serious teams) have sacked their managers (or their managers resigned) for a lot less. No doubt some fans will give up their season tickets in protest (like I did last season), and refuse to hand over my money or time to the team whilst the status quo remains. However, to a vast majority, it is difficult to rationalise the support for the club - I take my heart off to those guys.

There is nothing left to say that, that has not already been said (even from the old days of 606 on BBC), I occasionally vent, but most days I am just a passive observer now (according to Fela, just look and laugh). I think AW and his cohorts have held us and the club captive (similar to that of a tin pot dictator), and obviously playing us for mugs. They know they hold all the aces, fans are just pawns in all of this. He will not be around for ever and one day I will wake up to the news that he has resigned.

12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

David Ornstien on BBC news Just announced that his understanding is that Arsenal will invest heavily in the squad this summer. Spending up to £150m

13. lazarus20000

You've pretty much hit it on the head. They have such a stranglehold over Arsenal that despite the embarrassing protests, they were allowed to do exactly what they wanted to do. The pantomime Wenger contractual issues perfectly highlighted this.

So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole world.

14. lazarus20000

So the rumours have started. I'm suprised he didn't mention our war chest? I bet that needs some serious dusting.

15. BobbyD

BobbyD President

haha PISKIE. Please, how many summers in a row have we heard this.

I will believe it when i see it (Wenger buying someone of notable quality for a high figure or even just a well renowned player). Xhaka is not a big name buy and has been pretty poor although he did improve.

Mustafi was a panic buy after you lost a few games at the start of the season.

If Wenger pulls off 2 Ozils/Sanchezs this season (showing he can do it) then i would be amazed. Everyone knows you either need a WC defender, a WC midfielder or a WC striker.

If Wenger buys a WC player unexpectedly, then i'm going to guess it will be an ozil type technical small player.

Quilllogic likes this.
  16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agreed. The proof is in the pudding.

Interesting that it's David ornstein though rather than The Sun. He usually only reports on things that are factual. But we'll see. It's up to Wenger and the board to deliver, first priority is getting sanchez and ozil to sign new contracts.

17. lazarus20000

Arsenal fans rage as summer War Chest stories do the rounds again [Tweets]
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/a...war-chest-stories-do-the-rounds-again-tweets/

On Tuesday morning, some familiar reports surfaced in the backpages: Arsenal plan a £115m summer shake-up and the transfer war chest is being readied!

But, the trouble is, Arsenal fans, like many others these days, are particularly savvy and have a voice of their own.

“War chest” stories are becoming a feature of Arsenal’s season at just this time, when things begin to go badly wrong on the pitch.

Hahaha same old ballbags flying around. Funny how this news story was written in 2016. Feels like deja vu. Read the full story for all the tweets.

Quilllogic likes this.
  18. BobbyD

BobbyD President

To be fair to wenger, he did spend 93 million quid last year.

Just not on anyone who you would consider as class. 2 solid players more in the mould of Rambo than a classy player in the mould of Cazorla.

Oh and a up and coming CB (holding - did okay actually but still raw - even in FA cup let Costa in for a 1 on 1) and Asano (japanese import) and Perez (redundant crowd please to sit on the bench - actually looked decent)

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

PL war chest, meh.
    This is what you should be requesting of Wenger :

20. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

That's cos you'll be dead :)