1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsene Wenger: I did not know who my captain was against Man City

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Apr 5, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...not-know-captain-manchester-city-second-half/

On-field captain Laurent Koscielny was substituted at half time of Sunday’s game with an Achilles injury, but it was unclear who received the armband in the second period.

The Arsenal manager’s words only add weight to the arguments of his harshest critics, who charge that Arsenal are a rudderless ship lacking leadership.

“Err, I don’t remember,” Wenger said, when asked who was skipper or if one was elected. “No it is a good question. Nobody asked me who is captain.” Wenger also confirmed he was yet to decide who would captain his team against West Ham on Wednesday.

Telegraph Sport reported last month that Arsenal's hierarchy were hastening their search for a ‘sporting director’ to either work with Wenger or smooth the transition should he depart.

The Frenchman defended Arsenal’s off-field structures however, saying: “I would like you to visit one day the club from now from what it is to when it was when I arrived. You would say there is a structural change. I can still say ‘yes we do not win enough games’. Yes, yes ok I can always demand more.

“But as well as we have managed to combine investments, structural change without anybody putting one penny in – all only based on the quality of my work. And be consistent. If somebody in the next 20 years does much better, believe me I am very happy. But at least he has fantastic conditions: strong financial situation and good players.”

Wenger said: “The problem in our game today is that what is superficial is the heart of the debate and the things that are important nobody talks about.

“You never read about the performance of one individual person on the pitch, you read only about all the rest. Maybe the rest sells newspapers but it doesn’t really matter.”

Social media has been saturated with content about Arsenal fans fighting, hiring competing planes and even using a ‘Brexit Van’ to sloganise their views on the manager and board.

A handful of ‘protesters’ gathered outside Arsenal’s London training ground on Tuesday, one of them adorning an Alexis Sanchez mask, but Wenger gave them short shrift.

“I don’t know what to say. It is good that they can waste their day like that,” he retorted.

So he didn't know who was captain when Kos left the pitch? Not that it matters as he doesn't believe in such out-dated concepts. Wenger just in case you didn't notice but this is a TEAM game so if the team plays well or badly, naturally the TEAM will be spoken about. Also good to know that you're talking about yourself again and taking credit for a manager 20 years after your tenure, "But at least he has fantastic conditions: strong financial situation and good players. What exactly has the players got to do with you? The guy is making out like he's a one man band and that no one helped, the guy is a fecking demagogue.

And lastly, a nice little put down for the fans protesting against him, or for anyone that dares to question him. These are the same people who buy tickets that support our club and pay your HUGE £8m wages, so please have some humility, even if you clearly don't give two sh1ts.