1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread +++++Aston Villa v Saints 23rd April 2016 3pm+++++

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by thereisonlyoneno7, Apr 20, 2016.

1. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

so much discussion of Long getting it in the neck, but no actual evidence. Suppose it keeps discussion going...

Is gentle criticism unacceptable these days? I said he was both the best and worst on the pitch. If Ayew had missed all those chances... I stand by it.

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Plymouth Argyle had 36 attempts on goal at home to Dagenham & Redbridge yesterday - they lost 3-2.

3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I thought that was Carlton Palmer, trying to trap the ball.

4. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

5. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

That pass completion rate is good, but what I was intending to point out is, IMO, our poor success rate at splitting the defence with well weighted passes.
    There was so little pressure on our players, today, when making passes, I just felt we were a bit lax in that area. As I pointed out, even the co-commentator was sighing at another simple pass being wayward.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Yes he is agreed. Personally though, I don't pick my strikers based on their ability to defend at corners.

7. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

The most frustrating, but also oddly the most promising, aspect is that he doesn't take the right shot. If he were trying to place a shot and got too much on it because of his momentum, 100% effort I would understand. It's hard to be trying really hard with part of your body and then not press with your kicking leg. When you tense up one muscle group, the whole body wants to tense. So a badly executed placed shot, I could understand.

But he always tries to blast the ball. Even when he has plenty of time to think about what to do with the shot (and the keeper is beaten so the answer is obvious).

The thing is, he doesn't do that with headers. In yesterday's game, he took that header maybe even better than it needed to be. He just calmly steered it low into the net. Yes, it was a sitter that he should have scored on easily but the point is, he actually did. I think more players would have botched that header than a couple of the goals he actually missed.

So to me, I think it's a confidence thing. Long's technique isn't the greatest and I think he knows it. But he's still plenty good enough to score on open nets. I just think he doesn't trust himself enough so he goes for the blast.

But I don't know, I'm not in his head. The point for me though, is that it's frustrating that he does it. But at the same time, because it's not stemming from a fundamental lack of skill or talent and it shouldn't be happening in the first place, I think it is something that can be fixed. I don't think Long will ever be considered a lethal finisher or anything, but if he could put away the easy ones he could score 20-25 goals, easily.

NeotSaint and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  8. ......loading......

Yes, but you have also removed goals and assists from the criteria. I feel like I am trying to play top trumps against someone who has crossed out all my high scores.

9. fatletiss

Actually I haven't, I was just pulled up by another poster because I agreed that when Pelle scores or assists, he's lauded. Long has done that and been getting stick. That's where this started (trying to get back to the beginning of this). I then went on to say that if both he and Pelle are playing poorly, I'd rather Long play.

There's no game of trumps here. I prefer Long. You and others are allowed to prefer Pelle.

10. ......loading......

Do I? I prefer Long, actually. You have said elsewhere that you admit Pelle scored and assisted but you still felt he played poorly. Here you seemed to clarify by asking what else Pelle does - not specifying in attack. All I tried to do was offer another of his valuable assets... I think you have enlarged the "holds it up" part of the trump card, while shrinking the other stats!

11. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Ok, I think I've read through everything, and there's not much disagreement. We wouldn't have beaten many teams playing like that, but to be fair we wouldn't have played like that against other teams.

Van Dijk was our best player during our bad spells, so that's why I make him man of the match.

For our strikers, it's important to look at the whole season and not just one game. We haven't scored enough goals, but that's partly a team thing. Putting a lot of hope in Rodriguez and Austin next season seems like a rather large gamble. I hope Mane stays very very very much.

garysfc and fatletiss like this.
  12. fatletiss

I didn't say you do prefer Pelle, I said you can!!

On the rest.... Whatever :) bottom line is I don't think we get enough of an all round game from Pelle.

13. ......loading......

I agree. But, Pelle offers a few very admirable traits he deserves praise for. Headed clearances, scoring goals and fantastic chest downs..

14. fatletiss

And as a regular poster you would have observed that WHEN he does them, I praise him. :)

15. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Through gritted teeth??? <grr>
    He did well yesterday running up and down the line looking beautiful :emoticon-0105-wink:

fatletiss likes this.
  16. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

If we're going to progress we have to improve each season and I think that will require a better striker with an improved strike rate (amongst other improvements). I think Shane is playing as well as he ever has and may improve a little, Pelle is what he is, JRod has a good chance of being a 10-15 goal striker if he gets back to fitness, Austin is a goal scorer, but I'm not sure how many. The thing is, anyone better than them will either cost a lot and want Europe or we will need to find a gem and might end up as a stepping stone to a wealthy club ... again.

Any thoughts on whether VVD will stay?

17. fatletiss

VVD will stay for next season for sure. He's on a 5 year deal and will be told what's what if anyone comes sniffing.

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  18. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

imo scoring goals is not the issue for us. Its improving defence. We know we have goals in us, despite not having the best conversion ratio. But we only rue the missed chances when we let 2 goal leads slip.

Archers Road likes this.
  19. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Long is also excellent defending corners.

We still need to leave more players up field as a tactic when defending corners imo though.........

fatletiss likes this.
  20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The thing that shocked us about Lovren was that he demanded a move when he had scarcely got settled here. I can't see VVD seeking a move after just one season.