1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

B.R.E.X.I.T.and European players.

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by pirate49, May 8, 2016.

1. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A really interesting article on page 64 of today's Bristol & Somerset Sunday Independent.

Neale Harvey is writing about Rugby, but what he says may have implications for all sports.

'....an out vote could mean the end of free movement, which currently allows EU citizens to
    work in Britain without permits.
    Pulling out may also affect South African and Pacific Island Kolpak players who are currently
    entitled to play here under trade agreements brokered in conjunction with the EU.'

This could be a real hornets nest, and I haven't heard the topic discussed anywhere.

How would Arsenal be able to field a team? <laugh>

If this comes to pass the value of home grown players should rise, with fewer foreigners
    playing here. Good news I would have thought for the England team selection.

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

One of the first comments made by the Lets stay in campaign was that we could be thrown out of the European football Competitions and that European players would loose the right to play here. So if Brexit win according to some we will no longer be part of Europe

3. pirate49

Forum Moderator

EU isn't synonymous with Europe.

Norway and Switzerland aren't in the EU.

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Nore is Turkey and they play along. Eurovison song contest has none European countries too. They even had Australia last year!

I think Brexit will help the England national sides. But no one knows how things will work if we leave the EU. They will try and negotiate the same terms that we currently have. So its anyones guess how football or any sport will be affected.

5. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

The German league has got things about right. We just need ways of ensuring home grown players get a fair crack of the whip. Hodgson's choices are quite limited this week, but I've got a feeling England will do better than usual in the Euros.

6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I have wondered what will happen to all these foreign players already here. If we vote out do they have to leave the country? If they leave will their contracts have to be paid up?
    Or will we bend the rules and say sports players have freedom of movement but no one else does?

If they do have to leave, then will Sky pull the plug on the premiership?

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Good questions ROD. Non EU players would need a visa anyway so nothing will change with them because they would already have a visa to be here. But the players here from the EU will I guess have to apply for a visa too, or make their clubs do it to make sure its done. Under the circumstances, the home office should just speed through these visa's without any issue. Just give a visa to them for the duration of the remaining period of their contract. When a new contract is offered then they would need to apply for a new visa. Or if the player is sold to another UK club then another visa will need to be applied for. Thats how I would do it.

Same with all other EU residents here, like NHS staff for example. But this time give them long term visa's so by the time the visa runs out, they can apply for dual nationality and become a UK citizen.

8. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That would be one good thing about leaving the EU the possible down fall of the most overrated league in the history of sport <laugh>

9. old timer

If you google conditions that foreign footballers have to fulfil to play in England it supplies you with lots of information which may either help or not as the case may be

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

11. old timer

Good post Red thankyou

12. pirate49

Forum Moderator

Thanks for the link ROD. <ok>

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

14. old timer

If they retain freedom of movement then this will not apply will it, after all they are talking about EU nationals who live and work in this country, if they leave this in place then that should cover sport as well.
    What happens though if Scotland have another referendum and vote to leave the union will it mean that all Scottish and possibly northern Irish if they to have referendum for a united Ireland and it happens will they have to return to their own country

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

If Scotland leaves the UK, I hope that puts an end to Celtic and Rangers moving to the English leagues <ok>

old timer likes this.
  16. Gastronomic

I think the problems with the England team will continue unless they learn from Wales! Much has been said about Wales being a team. A lot of these players have grown up together. They have a bond. And they also know their jobs on the field.

England have tended to pick the highest rated players, goal scorers etc, then throw them together and expect them to perform. But even if they are able to perform as a team, England teams are rarely able to adapt to different situations because they usually haven't played together enough. Being able to choose even more players will probably only make these problems worse.

17. old timer

But it would be nice to think that there are English players playing in the premier league rather than some of the ones that are playing there now. There seems at times to be a lot of dross among the foreign players that are given massively over paid contracts and very few Augero's and Payets. And yes I probably have spelt Augeros name wrongly

18. Gastronomic

A league full of players who enjoyed playing for a decent but fair wage rather than these obscene sums of money would be great.

I must admit that the Premier League hardly sets the pulse racing anymore. I think Leicester was a wake up call for all of those clubs who thought you could buy success. Money obviously helps, but something's been lost along the way...probably teamwork and hard graft.

19. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Once we are free from the EU (I voted remain by the way), I would like to see the FA intorduce a quota system.

Every side must have a minimum number of English born players in their side (or British at the least)

This won't really affect teams outside the Premier League (maybe some Championship teams), but would help the development of young English players

old timer likes this.
  20. Gastronomic

And the Welsh clubs should have a minimum number of Welsh players in their side :emoticon-0103-cool: