1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Beer and chips thread.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary-dave, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Kings head doesn't come up on google maps. Is it Passage to India or Ali Tandoori way?

Just noticed up there is Magdalen Street. Now I know why I've never really been that way. I went there for a job interview when I was young and the place really depressed me. Was really grubby. Wonder if it's changed. (It's the memory I've got from about 12-15 years ago. It might have not even been that bad, might of been coz I was young and nervous about the interview, but that street name, I've always associated with bad)

JM Fan likes this.
  2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Hmmm - I can see why you've avoided that area and yes, it is a bit grubby in that part of Norwich, but don't let that put you off.
    It's quite close to the flyover/car park - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...ef4bb2b187c7e271!8m2!3d52.6348402!4d1.2964244
    The Indian on the other side is now called the Malabar or similar.

Attached Files:

• kh.jpg
      kh.jpg
      File size:
      77 KB
      Views:
    Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  3. Forgot_My_Lines

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just down the Glasshouse (Wetherspoons for those not from Norfolk) and enjoying a couple of pints of Oakham Citra at £2.25 a pint with my CAMRA vouchers!!

5. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

That Indian used to be great when it wasn't licensed, you could nip over the road to the kings head and bring back a pint or two to have with your curry. Though I generally prefer the food in the Ali tandoori.

The area is a bit grubby and depressed, what with IloveDelia getting up to allsorts under the flyover! But like the others have said, the Plasterers is a great pub and well worth a visit.

Bah!

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I prefer the Nazma in that area of the city. The Merchants was great, but it got closed down, so don't know if it's reopened.

7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've found out that the Merchants of Spice in Colegate has indeed reopened and I think it is the best Indian in the city. It's a little more expensive, but you get a lot more meat in the various dishes.
    I'm not long back from a day out in Southwold and it was lovely and cool (almost chilly) on the beach - fantastic to get a break from the heat in the city. I'd a lovely half (driving) of Mosiac from a cask and it tastes quite different from when it's in a keg!!!

8. Forgot_My_Lines

Thank you so much JM!

It was my Birthday yesterday. I've been working minimum 12 hour days with no breaks 6 days a week, and Sundays doing work at my place plus chores. Feels like I haven't had a break for so long. So I took a half day. We had tickets for Adam Buxton in the evening. I told my GF I wanted to go in early afternoon. Try a load of pubs I've never been to. Get lunch at one, Then got dinner at Shiki (sp?) which was stunning.

We went to The Plasterers Arms. I never would have walked down that road, or gone into a pub down that area, If it wasn't for your recommendation and Google Maps. The Ales!!! The Ciders!! Amazing! The Pizzas were fantastic. We ordered a Pizza each that we had never seen the combinations before on a Pizza. Gorgeous! I really loved that place. The lady behind the bar was really friendly and helpful, coz I didn't know where to start with the selection.

We then walked to The Fat Cat Brewery Tap. I adored that place too. We were too full to try the chips, but the Ales were perfect.

We tried the Kings Head on the way back. From the road, I nearly didn't go in, but had time to waste before our table. So risked it. On entering, I thought....Oh god. Got a nice local Ale, then found all the back area, which was lovely. Did not feel like you were in a pub on that road.

Popped into the Mischief for the first time too, because We had a bit more time to waste. Looks like of a night it could be a really busy, dirty, aggressive night. When we went it was nice a quiet and they have Desperado on Tap! Which I've never seen.

All in all it was a really nice Afternoon/evening. It felt like what we do when we travel to a City we have never been to before, but it was in the City I've lived around all my life.

1 question. I didn't know "Fat Cat" was more than 1 pub. There are 3. We went to the Tap one. At the time, I thought this was the historic pub everyone raves about. Which one of the 3 is the big historic pub?

9. General Melchett

In Stratford rd chippy to get a nice but if haddock to eat outside the fat cat yummy!

Bah!

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

You're very welcome FML and I know most of the decent pubs, as you can tell. Foor it's sheer uniqueness, I feel the Plasterers is hard to beat and the pizzas are out of this world and fantastic value. Norwich has some excellent pubs and one of my favourites that side of the city is the Ribs of Beef.
    The original Fat Cat is this one - 49 W End St, Norwich NR2 4JJ (and is probably the historic one); then they opened the Fat Cat Brewery Tap (formerly the Denmark) and then the Fat Cat and Canary (formerly the Mustard Pot).
    Sounds like you'd a pretty good birthday then!!!!

Good for you General!!!
    I'd fish and chips in Southwold the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Do NOT have fish and chips at the beach cafe in Dunwich!!!!

11. Forgot_My_Lines

It was great! Loved The Plasterers. Will go again soon. We had...Korean BBQ Pizza? I think it was called. Plus one that had Sauerkraut (which neither of us have tried before) with Corned Beef like we have never tasted before.

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

We'll have to have a 'Not606' night in the Plasterers before the season starts!!!!
    You up for it FML????
    I'm sure KIO would be interested as well.

tricky1664 likes this.
  13. Forgot_My_Lines

Sounds nice! Possibly.

The one thing I thought about those places. People have to either live in that area of drive there and back don't they? I was thinking, If we wanted to do that on a night out, getting a train or Bus in, Park and ride, usual City Car Parks we know, would still mean a really long walk to The Plasterers, and Even more Fat Cat Brewery Tap. That was such a long walk! Such steep hills. I can't imagine fitting both of them into a night out in the City.

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

You must have taken a detour/scenic route, as they're only 0.6 of a mile apart and the Plasterers is a mile from the station or 20 minutes walk.
    Car parking is available under the Anglia Square flyover and several buses stop at Anglia Square heading in or out of the city.

15. Forgot_My_Lines

I can see how you could make the Plasterers in that kinda walk time, although 20 Mins sounds a pretty pacey walk!. I more meant the Fat Cat Tap.

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I think most people should be able to walk a mile in 20 minutes and the Fat Cat Brewery Tap is only ⅔ of a mile from the Plasterers along Sprowston Road.

17. General Melchett

We started in the Alex, followed by the Stratford rd chippy for a nit of haddock n chips at the original fat cat, reindeer, plough, st andrews brew house (that smelt of fart tonight!) Kings head then finished in the plasterers. Bloomin good night, some great beers and venues.

The not606 meet sounds good but for me unlikely, I'm in cyprus first 2 weeks of August and the Manchester for 19th for another 40th, and 26th in Ipshit for yet another 40th!

Bah!

Bah!

18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

<wah>
    Would be great but problem I have is that I live in Dereham and on my own now too. Last bus back from Norwich is 9ish I think, so unless a mate has somewhere for me to crash it's a non-starter for me <cry>

19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

It's actually 22.30 from the bus station -
    X1.jpg
    So, if we started say around say 7.30, we’d have plenty of time!!!! <ale> <ale>
    pizza.jpg <ale> <ale>

KIO likes this.
  20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Oakham.jpg If you're a fan of Oakham beers, the Glasshouse in Norwich is having an 'Oakham' weekend and currently have 5 different ones on tap. #i'minheaven
    Edit - other Wetherspoons may be running the same promotion!! <ale>
    I can DEFINITELY recommend the Blue Skies IPA at 6% - it went down very well. <cheers> <cheers>

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Forgot_My_Lines and KIO like this.