1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Big Fraser

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Toss saints, Feb 2, 2016.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

It appears to me that you are the one arguing with more than one person. I've lost the will on it now. Have a good evening. Over and out.

Missing Lambo likes this.
  2. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Your patience in this matter does you credit, mate.

3. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

That's fine. No one is arguing any different. I understand the logic, and I don't disagree at all.

Except that we are first or second in shots allowed no matter whether it is Boruc, Forster, or Steklenberg playing keeper. We have always had a good defense. So to that extent the defense must be confident in all three. And I suppose the keepers must all be confident in the defense.

It's a pretty regular pattern that our players who transfer don't enjoy the same success as they do here. So obviously there's something going on-- good communication/man management, team unity, confidence, the right system. I'm not denying that happens at all.

The question is, how do you know what Forster adds without looking at his save percentage or actually seeing him make some great saves? Saying "I can't tell how much difference it makes" is not the same as saying "It doesn't make a difference."

When you actually see him have a game like against Arsenal, then it becomes easy to say "Wow. He's great back there. It must fill the team with confidence." But if you don't see that, you're just left with circular logic.

How do you know that Forster is a great keeper who helps the defense play better?
    Because we allow very few shots when Forster is playing and the defense looks quite good.

Why do we allow so few shots and look good when Forster is playing?
    It must be because Forster is a great keeper.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

5. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

If we all say "You're right" will you stop?

No, I thought not. I think you are right to say that Forster's influence is difficult to measure. However, moving beyond your insistence on quantitative data you might consider the qualitative. The circular logic doesn't help, it's true. I was watching the body language of our defenders at Arsenal, and for old subjective me there seemed to be a difference in their responses compared to when they had a lesser mortal behind them. I commented on this to a bloke next to me, and we agreed that they were simply exuding a confidence and belief in each other that had been missing at, for example, Norwich. Was Forster responsible or was it that they were on this very nice little run? I don't know. But having seen a few keepers over the years I'm glad we've got this one. I reckon if I can feel confident hat we have a keeper who is in control then this might well be shared by the defenders. Soft data? Highly subjective? Yes, of course. But life is like that sometimes.

fatletiss likes this.
  6. fatletiss

I can't believe I'm coming back in but hey!

It is perfectly reasonable to read between lines and use what we see on the pitch (you tell us you do this) and make a comment (I said comment, not a statement in a court of law) that Forster brings added confidence to the defence.

I am happy to accept that it is something I see and that may be you don't, or you do but won't accept it without a stat or fact to back it up.

I am also happy to accept that a set of players can appear more confident based on who they play with, how well they slept, how well the relationship is with the wife and a whole host of other things. It isn't all about facts, logic and stats.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Anyone notice that Whiteley, Helen and I never seem to get involved in these endless/interesting argumentso_O

Saint Helen likes this.
  8. fatletiss

Halo in post :)

We're men. We know how annoying the silent response is :)

9. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Are you well-informed as to the state of the players' spousal relationships or their sleeping arrangements? Because if you're not, it would be rather foolish to conjecture that if Fonte played well today it must be because he had a great romantic evening with his wife.

10. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

errrrrgggg

11. fatletiss

I knew the whole team got some bedroom action last night <laugh>

12. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

In Jose's case it's whether he had a near-miss with Fran during the week or not. :)

fatletiss likes this.
  13. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

She was waiting in the shower according to the match thread. Might explain the reasoning for Victors reckless challenge

14. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Claus & Prince Harry were awesome in defence. Was that because of Aunty Neimi.......

15. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had noticed some pretty blatant passive/aggressive behaviour from certain individuals...I just ignore these little circular tiffs, whereas you insist on not getting "involved". :emoticon-0105-wink:

16. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

So, England's no. 1 and 2 keepers both let in 3 today, whereas our Fraser kept his 5th consecutive clean sheet.

Just saying...

17. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Listened to the guardian football weekly podcast. They came up with the line that

Saints are a Fors-ter be reckoned with!

fatletiss likes this.
  18. fatletiss

Nice.

May the Forster be with us!

19. fatletiss

?? Fraser kept a clean sheet.

Not sure who numbers 2 and 3 are these days

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

As long as he remains fit, Forster will be called into the squad, but he won't be number one choice. And we don't want him to be.....recognition but no chance of injury will do for me. Isn't it amazing how many good keepers we have....only a few years ago the dearth of English keepers was a talking point.