1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Big Name Signings - Stars or Flops?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, May 8, 2017.

1. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Dennis Bailey - Once scored a hat-trick at Old Trafford and was definitely a success at The Gills.

Not sure Rod Wallace was a failure he scored more goals per minutes played than anyone else in the championship in his first season and scored 12 a reasonable return, he was blighted by injury after that and forced to retire

The Shouting Man and brb like this.
  2. The Shouting Man

The Shouting Man Active Member

Rod Wallace is a good shout. When he signed he probably had one good season left in him. Pity he spent most of it injured.

For me the big name signing that worked was former (old) Division one Middlesboro stiker Dave Shearer. A class act in front of goal, just look at his goals to games played ratio (again would have been even better if the club could have kept him out of the local pubs and night clubs)...

3. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

To my mind the worst ex top flight player is Lomas by a country mile he was so bad for us that Stuart Thorogood was seen as an improvement!

Whilst Wallace and Johnson were seen frustratingly infrequently, there was no doubting their quality when we did see them in the blue shirt.

John Egan came from Sunderland and would be a hit, Guy Butters & Neil Smith started at Spurs both hits, and Gary Micklewhite played alot of top flight football at QPR and I would also consider him to be a success

The Changing Man likes this.
  4. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I am not sure that those figures were that huge at the time there appeared to have been more money in the lower divisions then, now virtually nobody moves between lower championship, league 1 & league 2 teams for much of a fee, when The Gills signed Asaba and Taylor that was going rate for players of that quality.

Pulis now keeps teams in the premier league on the some of the smallest budgets available I really don't think that there should be any questions about his ability as a manager.

AshfordGill likes this.
  5. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

Sorry I am on a roll now!!

Ade Akinbiyi and Iwan Roberts both from Norwich - 1 hit 1 miss
    Steve Banks from West Ham - Hit
    Glenn Roeder a bit hit and miss
    Patrick Agyemang from the old Wimbledon - miss
    Trevor Aylott once of Chelsea - big miss
    Nicky Southall arrived for a 2nd time having played premier league at Bolton a hit

Maybe the common factor is not where they came from but who signed them more hits signed by Pulis, Taylor and Hess than by our other managers.

6. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Alex Bruce released by Hull. Come on your old man did. Lol

7. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Andy Hess came from Watford and was the best big name signing ever.

AshfordGill likes this.