1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bild claim Arsenal have approached Thomas Tuchel to replace Wenger.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheBear, Mar 19, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

It worked in the past but things have changed dramatically in the modern era. Just like the FA is in desperate need of change, the same with our prehistoric Board. If things don't change very soon, we will soon become mid table, whether Wenger leaves or not. We've revered Wenger for so long that we are blind to his faults, and he has many.

A once great manager that stays too long because of hero worship has bad consequences. Brian Clough comes to mind. In my opinion, a genius and better manager than Wenger, but ended up leaving Nottingham Forest decimated. We may not end up quite as bad due to our over cautious nature, but we will no longer be a top club.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think mid table is a bit of an exaggeration, but I completely agree with the sentiment.

3. lazarus20000

For effect...

PINKIE likes this.
  4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I would say in some ways winning the league is less difficult than it was a few years ago.

Ok so we have alot of big name managers and I would say the mid-table sides have gotten better but the top sides are just not that great. The best sides in England really dont compare to the best in Europe anymore.

This makes our placing in the league all the more worrying. Our squad is certainly stronger in than it has been for years.

So the only conclusion to make from that is Wenger is getting worse.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Sign Da Ting likes this.
  5. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

This will the second season in a row the league will be won by a team with no European distractions.

Being a sack of s**te this year is all part of the masterplan for us to win the league next year.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  6. lazarus20000

In my opinion football has got better in the PL as a whole, but i agree, it has declined in Europe. Overall, the technical skills, quality of players, fitness levels and general professionalism is higher than in Wenger's early years. Yes there aren't any outstanding PL teams but we have 6 top teams that can all win the league and beat each other on any given day. Compare this to Wenger's early tenure where we only competed with Man U, the general competition and level of opposition was inferior.

Wenger was progressive in the early days by introducing better nutrition, fitness and technical setup. But everyone else caught up and he's now exposed for being tactically limited and sticking too rigidly with his ideologies. This has led to his downfall, instead of adapting, he chose to die for his beliefs through thick and thin. This for me has tainted his legacy and made the gulf even wider between him and Fergie. As pure footballing coaches go, Wenger isn't in the same league as Fergie or Mourinho, especially when you pit a pure Wenger created team with one they created.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

The other thing is there seems to be generally less truly World Class players in the league. (and by World Class I mean the very elite)

Perhaps Sanchez and Hazard but i think they are just below that level, maybe Aguero and Ibrahimovic possibly still is.

But what has happened to the Christiano Ronaldo's, Thierry Henrys, Dennis Berkamps, Eric Cantona's? .. There's not alot of stars setting the league alight anymore.

8. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

In other Bundesliga news, there's an incredible 21yo wing forward talent at Werder who has got 10 goals in 21 games for them, as well as a hat-trick for the German national team in his second appearance. Those Werder goals represent almost 1/3 of their goals this season in fact. Then again do we need someone like that when we have Oxlade-Chamberlain who might this season get his 10th league goal for Arsenal this season? Mind you it's taken the Ox six seasons and 122 games to get those 9 league goals so far...

9. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

He has just left Dortmund so could this be true

10. lazarus20000