1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bobby Moore remembered.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Jul 26, 2016.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I see that a blue plaque will be installed at his old house as a mark of respect for the only England captain who will ever win a World Cup. Dedication was the order of the day in the 60's and for the younger lot who will never understand that concept it was all about national pride when wearing the red white and blue.

That day when I was at Wembley to watch my heroes lift the ultimate trophy in their chosen sport will remain with me for the rest of my life and I just wish we could bring back some of those ethics in today's world. I hope the day never comes when a blue plaque is attached to one of the many mansions around the country owned by over hyped footballers who don't even know how to give one single ounce of what Bobby Moore and his fellow players had to offer. Anyway, they would probably refuse it as it might clash with the diamond encrusted hot-tub.

Thank you Bobby and the other lads, and just as reminder to our more youthful followers here is the headline from one national newspaper:

West Ham United 4 West Germany 2.

Be still my beating heart.

Alandicksthegreat likes this.
  2. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Then you are a lucky man indeed to witness this game. Its a bit like being at Live Aid for some - an event sociological.
    No, I don't think England will ever win a world cup either, but that afternoon in 1966 everything came together to define this country as a football nation, and that will never go away.
    Lets just hope the destructive support that exists among us will never destroy the heritage these genuine English heroes created that summer afternoon so long ago

3. invermeremike

Well said!

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

A hero and a gentleman

Shame that most of the players picked for England over the last 15 years seemingly couldn't give a rats ass when representing their country.

5. invermeremike

Quiet, don't upset them because they might decide not to play for England again. Yeah!!!!

We all know the saying - what is apathy, I don`t know and I don`t care. Just about sums it up for me.