1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Boothferry Park Exhibition

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 21, 2011.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

2. BoothferryLegend

As just mentioned i own half of the complete numbered tiles which where next to all the players pegs in the dressing room, my friend has the other half, got 5 or 6 seats from west stand too, he should of got in touch with me as i could of made it an extra 10 minutes

3. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

It'd be nice if any planned extension to the KC could find room for something like this.

4. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

I must be feeling a bit poorly, because, for once, I agree with you :emoticon-0107-sweat:emoticon-0120-doh:<cool>

5. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The downside would be that in the interests of fairness they'd also have to find a room for a Boulevard exhibition. I suppose the Allams could annoy all the rugby fans by filling the Boulevard one with memorabilia from when we used to play there if there's anything left in one piece.

6. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

If the Allams were the owners of the Stadium, and, if the Curly Turds wanted a Museum (to which, with their long history<laugh>, a broom cupboard would suffice:angel:), I am sure, as businessmen, they would find space, and, a reasonable rent, for them! <cool>

7. karlberg

karlberg New Member

I had a word with the man responsible for the exhibition when he was putting it up at the History Centre, Roland ?
    And it's good, but it's mainly the demise of Boothferry Park after it was closed and bulldozed, although the photography is first class.
    Our clubs history has been tossed aside by many of the previous regimes and I for one wish more care had of been taken of it.
    The way the local media campaigned to have Boothferry Park demolished whilst running a campaign to have the boulevard preserved annoyed me.
    The hawking off of the club name plate was just about the lowest thing the club (Martin Fish) could have done, and the way they tried to hide it by replacing it with a plastic one as though no-one would notice just about typifies what those in charge of the club at the time thought about us.
    I would like to see more made of our history on show somewhere at the KC. After all it is the site of our original ground, and some of it can still be seen if you know where to look.
    Surely we could find team photographs for every season that we have been in existance and display them somewhere within the stadium?
    I have one particular campaign of my own when it come's to this football v rugby league "debate". And it's this................
    We are often reminded that certain senior players of both of Hull's rugby league clubs have been honoured, Johhny Whiteley, Clive Sullivan and Roger Millward (there maybe another couple) I have no complaint with that at all.
    Sir Alan Hardaker OBE, ex-Hull City reserve player, was the chairman of the Football League was born and lived only a goal kick away from the KC, a very well known influencial man in the football world in his time. Yet no mention of his existance anywhere at the KC?
    I forwarded a suggestion to Hull Civic Society that we should have at least have a name plaque on the stadium wall somewhere to recognise him. But these "campaigns " need more than one person writing in asking for it.
    James Cogg the man who initiated the very first World Cup competition was born very close to the KC, again nothing in the area to recognise his achievement.
    I believe we should have at least have a decent portrait of Andy Davidson who holds the record number of appearances for our club somewhere on show at the KC. Likewise Chris Chilton, record goalscorer, and Wagstaff, most goals in a season. And yes also one of Ian Asbee, the first captain to see us through all the divisions. That is our history and we are as guilty of ignoring at it today as all those previous regimes have been if we dont do something about it.
    And I have one more.
    Fred Cowell has been involved with Hull City as long as I can remember. He must have clocked up well over 50 years with the club in his work with the youth teams etc. An unsung hero if ever there was one and a genuine supporter of our club who doesnt do it for financial gain or reflected glory. Surely his work should have attracted some sort of Football League recognition? I'm sure the local media would have been clamouring for it if he had of been doing the same job for one of the rugby league clubs?
    Simple things like that make us a better club, and our history should be respected and preserved, not ignored.

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll drop a line to the Hull Civic society too, maybe if we all give them a push, they'll do something about it.

The members bar does have photo's of the players all round it, but all are fairly recent, there's certainly pictures of Dawson and Ash, but I can't remember any of them going back any further than Elliot. We certainly should at least have pictures of Waggy and Chillo in there somewhere(though I can't remember what pictures are up the Circle Restaurant).

9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Let's not forget it was a Hull man that played a major part in creating the version of football the world recognises today. Ebeneezer Cobb-Morley.

10. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

OLM, just a thought, could you not raise an on-line petition, that could then be printed off with the names of all who wish this to happen?
    Another idea is to look into a petition to get Fred Cowell recognised in the Queens Honours List for his sporting input at all levels?

11. karlberg

karlberg New Member

Thanks DMG, Ebeneezor is who I meant but I was too lazy to look it up. Should be something to recognise the fact though, even just a framed photograph with his name and achievements is better than nothing.

12. karlberg

karlberg New Member

I did try to get Fred's name on the Queen's Honours list some time ago. I think you write to the Queens secretary or someone like that. I really think the club should be pushing for it, they have far more clout than any of us meare mortals.
    I also think Andy Davidson deserves some sort of recognition, even if it's just a decent sized photograph of him somewhere where the fans can see it.
    I remember one of him holding up the Sunday Mirror Giant Killers Cup, a huge impressive thing it was too, this was awarded to the club for the 65/66 FA Cup run. It was an unusual photograph if only for its' rarity. The Hull Daily Mail will have the original stashed away somewhere, unused in a dusty cabinet.

13. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

Agree to a point with you, but it is us mere mortals, by signing up to a petition, that can get a person recognised for an honour. A year or two back it's what we did for Terry Pratchet (it did take 10,000+ on-line signatures to achieve it!), so the voice of the people does have power to achieve this!!

14. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

Which would be why Bruce Forsyth has a knighthood.

15. City

City Active Member

I was at Boothferry Park last weekend to get a step from kempton stand for my garden the missus isnt to happy but stood on that with bovril and a fag it all came flooding back.
    Go and help yourself but take a mate i nearly broke my back carrying it over the north stand rubble

16. dazzar86

dazzar86 Well-Known Member

When I did a stadium tour as part of Hull history open days - the tour guide was a Hull FC coach and he was saying how he's a big football fan too and he'd like to see a museum at the KC. he said he'd visited places like the Amsterdam ArenA, Old Trafford and Nou Camp and a museum makes them.

At the end of the tour - there was a Hull FC history exhibition set out like a museum with all their shirts in a row dating back to the 1800s through to the present day and old squad pictures, programmes etc... City had nowt there, not a thing!

17. BoothferryLegend

Not done a tour but it would be nice to do one, how much is it and they still do them?? i agree with you Karlberg that we should have all these pics displayed somewhere, has anyone been in the lair? been a couple of years now since i last been there but the pics they got on the walls are great

18. x

x Well-Known Member