1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Borussia Mönchengladbach

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Marcelinos dodgy finger, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Not a meltdown, just it's pretty much every game where the defence's ineptitude is on clear display and we've done nothing about it. Willo's starting against So'ton, beyond unacceptable. The shape was not great today and we've no more games to tinker. Subs and application were odd; I'd have thought today we'd use something like the starting line-up vs So'ton, see how it goes, tweak some things, swap out your key players, and let the game peter out. Didn't really do anything like that. Obertan can't be starting, surely? Still, maybe it'll be different in a week, we'll see, but as I say we're not in good shape right now. Haidara showed flashes, Wijnaldum was excellent, Mitrovic again looks very solid, Perez full of confidence, so there's enough room for hope, that's for sure - but for some inexplicable reason the club, manager, chief exec and owner think it's ok to have Saylor and Willo, with Colo floating around doing who knows what, with 8 days to go. It's just disappointing, could have been fixed so easily. Maybe this week we'll bring in Austin and a defender, then I'll be considerably happier even if So'ton turn us over.

That's all, no screaming abdabs.

2. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Graham Carr's Binoculars Well-Known Member

To put it in to perspective, we just played a team bank rolled with millions of pounds that finished 3rd in the Bundesliga last year.

We finished 5th bottom and our two main CB's (Colo & Mbemba) didn't start. It was always going to be a tough game. We need to have patience, especially in the early part of the season because we have tough opponents and our new signings haven't gotten many minutes under their belt.

It shouldn't come as a surprise if we start the season slowly. We should judge the window at the end of the month and the season at the end of May.

3. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Look we've been garbage in pre season, no point hiding from it. Mcclaren himself has looked frustrated. He has admitted we are well behind. That is down to a poorly arranged tour, getting the manager/coaches in late, getting players in late and of course failing to sign a ****ing experienced cb. We are all over the shop. Thankfully however no points are at stake. Let's just hope we do the necessary in the market and get out **** together. It's not ideal and we have missed the feel good trick yet again. As I have always said under previous managers its competitive games that matter. We can turn this around pretty quickly and there are positives

Salomon #9 likes this.
  4. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

01082015(003).jpg
    only bit of action in the first half was this header by Wijnaldum

01082015(006).jpg
    which just goes past the post

01082015(001).jpg

01082015(008).jpg

not many away fans

5. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

How did you get on lads? Score aside, that means **** all. But how you shaping up?

We looked rock solid at the back with the two new CBs, still lacking an attacking edge which just confirms what we already know, we need to strengthen further with a cm and a forward. Lens again the best player on the pitch, he created and finished our goal on his own. Looks a cracking signing. Not the best opponents but still away and off the back of yet more traveling. Solid as a rock but none spectacular.

7. Travelsick07

Travelsick07 Well-Known Member

Basically we had one proper footballer on the pitch who is head and shoulders above everoyne else, Wijnaldum.

I can't see him sticking around... he must look around and think good lord, where have I landed here.

8. Schlem Boogerman

Schlem Boogerman Well-Known Member

Just got home from the match today.

Obertan isn't a footballer and should never again featur in a Newcastle United starting line up.

Sissoko isn't a right midfielder/winger. He is much more suited to playing in the middle bombing on on the counter attack. I can't see where he would fit into our central midfield to be honest. If a club came in with a decent bid I'd sell him.

Taylor and Williamson = woeful. But we all know this. Haidara is not far behind - his touch and passing is poor. Decent back up but we need a quality first choice left back.

Wijnaldum looked lost in the first half playing behind Cisse - we just didn't get the ball to him at all. In the second half he played deeper and looked much more effective as he saw more of the ball. This guy is quality, the kind of quality that in time can run games.

Mbemba looked tidy, again it looks like we have signed a quality player.

Mitrovic looks a beast - physically he is a big lad. When he came on we were much more of a threat in the air and his hold up play is very good. We need to get the ball to this lad in the box as much as possible. He will bully defenders, score goals and create for others. Another quality signing.

de Jong is quality and fitted in very well just behind Mitrovic. He is clearly a natural at just playing off the big lad.

Aarons has such potential. He just goes at defenders and they are **** scared of him. I just hope he never starts cutting inside and back for fear of losing the ball like many wingers are prone to doing.

Perez again is quality. He will go onto bigger and better things than Newcastle. It's a shame that we play him out wide as he is not natural wide player.

To sum up from today's performance It's clear that we need another 2-3 signings in the obvious areas and that we have a lot of quality and potential running through the side.
    It's now up to the coaching staff to do their job and get them playing as a team. I think it's gonna take time and we'll likely suffer a good few defeats until players settle in.

We need to be patient.

9. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

I wonder if Obi can do something about this invisible force field that surrounds Obertan
    he beats every one for pace but as soon as he hits the 18 yard box with the ball his mind goes blank, he hasn't a fookin clue
    he can't cross it, he can't even pass to another team mate in a good position
    he's ****e when one on one

10. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

I am somewhat happy with where we are. SMC is trying to undo the crap done by Pards and his style is being implemented. In truth, we are 2 CB's and maybe a LB away from a comfortable top 10. The new guys, however, have been very impressive. Wij is God!

11. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Even just one more first team CB and I'd be confident of a 10-12 finish. A We have half a good defence (Jaanmat is class, our LB is poor (whoever we pick) and CB's vary but one good addition and Colo/Mbemba could slot in well). We will not get a CB and a LB so Haidara or Dummett it is for the season, with guidance and support from decent CB's they'll probably be "good enough" at the moment they are dealing with shoddy left wing play which leaves them exposed and CB's who are clueless.

Midfield and up front I'm satisfied. Not happy, not excited but I'm confident we've got enough about us to go toe-to-toe which most mid-table teams in midfield and up front.

Our defence is a huge worry though. One or two injuries (and the last couple of seasons we've done well to have single figures at a time, think we got up to 14 on physioroom last year) in defence and we're looking at Haidara/Willo/Taylor/Dummett....

QWOP likes this.
  12. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

Williamson and Saylor both need to be sold or nothing more than reserves. They're both ****.

13. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Now when tash calls willo ****, u know his time is up

14. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Question, how's Tiote still not playing?

15. TurkeyToon

TurkeyToon Active Member

I am so pleased I have now moved to Istanbul, just to get away from Mike Williamson, if nothing else. I hope he gets signed by Taliban FC!!

16. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Pinning so much blame on Williamson is unfair, why? Simply because it is not all down to him. Likewise booing him in pre-season matches is childish and counter productive.
    Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of Willo, but Saylor and Colo have served us no better recently either.
    Colo has never been the same since his " personal problems" caused him to melt down and want to run back to Argentina.
    Saylor may be local, but is made of glass and has no true footballing intelligence. Being enthusiastic and throwing yourself about a bit is not enough.
    Williamson was bought in as cover for CB's that never materialised, it's not his fault that he "needs" to be started week in and week out due to a lack of vision and investment by others, who by the way have also failed big time.
    Chances are that Willo may start against Southampton next weekend, or maybe it will be Saylor and Mbemba. Either way it's not a good scenario and Mbemba cannot salvage this mess singlehanded
    So please let's stop with the Williamson Witch Hunt, and get behind him hard as that may be for some.
    His days are numbered, as are a fair few more, but until others do their jobs right, he is all we have and surely will only be the worst for it if this daft nonsense continues.

17. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Could of course be mutual, with Mike Williamson glad you've gone to Istanbul.

18. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Unfortunately, many NUFC fans continually look for a Scapegoat, and Mike Williamson fits the bill perfectly.

19. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

We only managed a draw against Borussia Mönchengladbach, at their place last month, matter of fact nearly all our pre-season games have been draws? All the best for the season guys...............<cheers>

20. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.