1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Another huge fight is to take place in Las Vegas this coming weekend when Oscar De La Hoya's gravy train rolls into town. Saul "Canelo" Alvarez climbs into the ring against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, to do battle over 12 rounds for nothing more than cold, hard cash. Canelo, the WBO Super Welterweight Champ, will for the first time in his career, fight above 155 pounds. The fight conditions stipulate that each fighter must not exceed 164.5 at the weigh in. This won't be a problem for Canelo, but could be for Chavez. He has a record of not being too keen on training, but from what I gather, that ain't so this time around. According to what I've been reading, De La Hoya as usual, is playing hard ball. If Chavez can't make weight, he'll forfeit $1,000,000 per pound. And as he's only getting a 20% take from the fight, he'll have to pull out the old finger. His camp though is saying he's on target, but he's been known to miss come the day.

Three fights back, Chavez fought at 171.5 in a Light heavyweight bout where he quit on his stool after the ninth, so who knows what to expect. But as this bout is mega huge in Mexico, it's being said that there's a lot of pride driving it. Chavez supposedly wants Canelo bad. I'm not sure that he's up to it though. But he has a 4 inch height advantage and 3 inches in reach, he's in with a shot. He also has a decent chin and can thump. This fight will be the classic little man moving up against the big bloke coming down in weight.

Is Chavez just another cherry pick for Canelo or is he a much better chance of springing a surprise than De La Hoya thinks? Personally, I don't think De la Hoya want's to take too many risks with Canelo. He even had his champ dump a world title belt. I hope this does turn out to be a real barn burner, but I think Oscar probably has all the bases covered. Out on a limb time. Santos Saul Alvarez Barragan by KO.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

When the fight was first made my initial reaction was 'here we go another easy night for Canelo'. But the more i've thought about it, the more intrigued i am by it. This is probably Chavez's last big chance to make a mark on the sport and try somewhat to step out of the huge shadow that his father casts over his career. Chavez has shown a great chin in the past and although he has had his career very carefully mapped out for him (early on anyway) and is a bit overated, hes not without ability and could cause Canelo some problems with his size. The big question as mentioned by you is the motivation. Its what Chavez has always struggled with. I think if he can get himself up for this one then it has the potential to be a pretty decent fight. Prediction, Canelo by TKO in 9th or 10th but i think he might hit the deck himself at some point

Cyclonic likes this.
  3. Cyclonic

1-5 Canelo.
    6-1 Chavez.

Decision. 13-10 Canelo, 9-1 Chavez.
    KO, TKO, DSQ. 1-1 Canelo, 12-1 Chavez.
    Draw, 28-1.

4. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't disagree too much with your top 10 mate, except I'd have Ortiz marginally higher and I don't think I'd have Hughie Fury on it at all! I guess the question is what's Tyson Fury up to, is he going to rot away or step up to try and get back to the top? Who knows, maybe the upcoming doping investigation with him and Hughie Fury might put him out of the equation altogether in which case it's becoming very hard to argue against AJ being clear number 1.

5. Cyclonic

Last week we had one of the best heavyweight title fights in many a long year. This week in New Zealand we look like ending up with something else all together. Tomorrow in Manukau City Joe Parker puts his WBO belt on the line against the 6'7" Romanian Razvan Cojanu, a man who's ranked 15 by the WBO and has a record of 16-2-0. Until his last bout against China's 34 year old Zhiyu Wu, where they fought for the vacant WBO China Zone Heavyweight Title, Cojanu was ranked somewhere in the 70s by the WBO. A second round KO propelled him into the top 15. This was enough to secure the shot at Parker's title. After Hughie Fury's late pull out, the WBO stipulated that Parker has to do business with a top 15 ranked opponent. Most were either booked or not in fight shape. They only had a few options, and as Cojanu had sparred with Parker, he got the nod.

Parker goes in as a 1-40 favourite against Razvan Cojanu's 20-1. I think Skysports will carry a live broadcast.

6. Cyclonic

What do you think of this? Deontay Wilder on Tyson Fury. Is it as Wilder says, impossible for Fury to ever fight at his old weight?

“I love Tyson Fury. Personally, I don’t think he’s coming back. He’s too big, When he talks, you hear him talk and stuff, it sounds like somethings wrong with him. I’m not liking it. I’m starting feeling bad for him.”

“He don’t have the desire to really fight. He’s still talking because he wants to remain relevant. I’d still love for Tyson Fury to come back, but I think that’s for him. How the hell are you going to get all that weight off like that? You know how long it takes to get weight off like that unless you do surgery? It takes a while. I love exercise. For a big man like that, it’s going to take a lot. He can never get down to where he was. He will still struggle with weight. I don’t think he’s coming back. I’d like to see him because he’s great for boxing.”

7. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

This is why they need to scrap all this bollocks of having 5 world titles in each division. Everyone seems to have bought into Americas dumb way of doing everything. Every big trophy or belt has to have World before it, no matter what sport it is with that lot.

Have 1 world title per division, and none of this picking and choosing who you face. The person who's earned their way to the top of the rankings should get the shot at the belt.

Far to many average fighters getting 'world title' fights and claiming to be 'world' champions, as there are far to many organisations.

Talal El, Ron, beeforsalmon and 2 others like this.
  8. Cyclonic

Parker v Cojanu about to kick off. The latter with a huge weight advantage.

9. Cyclonic

Still champion, but awful.

10. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

The more I see of Parker the more I think he's a fair bit short of the obvious names. What he's got going for him is he has very quick hands and he's technically very accomplished but he's got little power compared to the big boys of the division. He doesn't appear to be as big as he's meant to be either? 6ft 4, really?!

I guess Cyc with his well hung moniker would seriously dispute one questioning the measuring tapes used 'down under' <whistle>

11. smokethedeadbadger

I agree. I don't think he's very skilful and has poor defence. I think he's miles off the top, Wilder, Joshua, Klitschko etc.. I think he'd have a job on against fringe contenders such as Pulev, Ortiz, Stiverne and even Whyte

12. Cyclonic

Canelo v Chavez Jr. about to start. Chavez gets a great ovation, not sure Canelo was as well received. Can't wait.

13. smokethedeadbadger

So 'THE' fight is actually signed and is happening on 16th September. GGG vs Canelo confirmed after last nights fight. About bloody time. Oscar has been looking after his cash cow for too long now and keeping him away from Golovkin. I'm sure they saw Golovkins last fight against Danny Jacobs and thought we'll have some of that now. Current odds 4/7 for GGG and 6/4 for Canelo

14. Cyclonic

The fight today was a bit of an eye opener for me Smoke. I though Canelo looked a lot more sharper than before, but was surprised that even with the extra weight, he did't look like putting Chavez away. As it turned out, he had no opposition today, but he did look good. I don't know if he can handle GGG, but it should be one hell of a fight. He's been saying that he's afraid of nobody and for the first time, I believe him. I hope GGG smacks him though.

15. smokethedeadbadger

I believe Canelo when he says he'll fight anybody and isn't afraid of anyone, its boxing politics that have prevented this fight from happening sooner. I'd fancy GGG to come out on top when they meet. Canelo is very good but if he isn't able to control a fight and against someone who is a good boxer he usually struggles. GGG won't stop coming forward and is a very good boxer, Canelo is not very good at boxing off the back foot and thats where his defence also looks vulnerable. Early prediction is if GGG doesn't get the late stoppage then i think he'll take it be 4 or 5 rounds on points. Wouldn't be too big a surprise if Canelo wins though, i'm not completely writing him off, he's very talented and has been in with much better opposition than GGG has. He's also by far the best GGG will have faced. All makes for an interesting fight and is great for the sport.

Cyclonic likes this.
  16. Cyclonic

This heavyweight scene is just getting more and more interesting by the day. Does Klitschko want the rematch with AJ? Eddie Hearn says that Klitschko's team don't know what the ex champ wants to do, other than to take a holiday. Hearn seems to thing that the fight is now only a 50-50 chance of being staged. So where does AJ go next?

Where does the man now known as "Windmill" Wilder go? He sees AJ scoring something in the order of around US$20 million against Klitschko, while he made less than a million fighting Gerald Washington in Alabama. Is he going to continue scratching away in the back yard like a starving chook or will he fly the coop and look for greener pastures?

And now every man and his dog want's a piece of the WBO champion Joseph Parker, especially after last weekend. The Parker team were straight on the blower to Tony Bellew's mob after the Razvan Cojanu debacle, wanting to sound out the Liverpudian. But the Bomber is making all the A team bullshit noises. He stated. "Everyone is saying "Tony Bellew will you fight Joseph Parker and become heavyweight champion of the world? The answer to that question is yes I would, but the salt and pepper has to be on my side of the table. It has to be on my terms not on his. As important as it is being WBO champion of the world it's not as important as being a box-office draw and that's what I am these days." So I suppose Dillain Whyte, who's hot to dance, might be the go. The WBO though are sounding unwavering in their support of the Parker - Fury mandatory bout. The WBO have given Parker 120 days to defend his title against Hughie.

Gotta love the scene at the moment.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  17. Cyclonic

Bullshit or not? Tyson Fury has said that Eddie Hearn has booked Wembley next April for a clash between him and Anthony Joshua.

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well I said straight after the fight that Klitschko won't fancy a re-match. I still think he will retire. He won't fight AJ and he won't fight Fury (Tyson) and there is little point in any other fight. Bellew got lucky against an unfit, embarrassingly cumbersome and crippled Haye and he talks as though he has beaten a Haye at his best. I don't dislike Bellew any more but dream on mate

19. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

The Klitchko fight is the fight everyone wants to see again, but I think it's a dangerous fight for Joshua to have to get through again. He had a big scare in the first fight, and it wouldn't suprise me if Klitchko gives him a similar scare again.

I think it would be a far safer option if Joshua took on either Wilder or Parker before taking the fury fight.

The amount of money they look set to make from Joshua, I can't imagine they are too keen at risking their star mans reputation against Klitchko again.

I know he's an ageing man, but I've just got this feeling that Klitchko will come with an even more affective game plan in the 2nd fight. He's to smart a fighter not to.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  20. Cyclonic

I know a lot of people think Bellew would be too good for Parker, but personally, I believe the Kiwi would be too slick for him. Whyte would scare me a little, but he'd be toast against the other two champions and Klitschko. The real wild card for Parker might be the lumbering Cuban Luis Ortiz. He's as slow as buggery but can hit. Officially he's 38, but many are suggesting he's into his 40s. I think he's a light of other days but he might make for a decent fight against Parker. The money though is in fighting a Brit. Bellew is the one I think he should dance with.