1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

#boycottspurs

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

There's a growing momentum for fans to boycott one game... the Spurs one as a TV exposed message to MA that if things don't change, the fans will stay away. Some say there will be a banner flown over SJP too. (a bit cringe worthy IMHO)

Judging by Twitter and FB there's a lot of ST holders going to stay away too.

Personally I'll not be there for that game out of choice (prior commitments) but have already given my ticket away for that game so unfortunately there will be no gap for my two tickets.

There's an online poll running via the attached link too and at time of posting 82% of readers think we are right to protest.

Thoughts?

Are you going to Spurs?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-United-supporters-to-boycott-Spurs-game.html

Newcastle United supporters to boycott Spurs game
    Fans angry with club's direction under Mike Ashley hope to highlight plight with a record-low attendance in televised game against Tottenham

Newcastle United supporters are planning to boycott the club’s next home game against Tottenham Hotspur and hold protest rallies against owner Mike Ashley outside St James Park instead.
    A social media campaign, calling on supporters to Boycott the Spurs game, which will be shown live on Sky Sports, has already been launched.
    The aim is to ensure Newcastle are watched by their lowest ever Premier League crowd to highlight the club’s plight under Ashley to a national audience.
    However, in an attempt to ensure as many disgruntled supporters as possible take part in the protest, and mindful of the fact some supporters will instinctively refuse to abandon the team on a matchday, there will also be demonstrations held both before and after the game at St James’ Park for those who do not wish to take part in the boycott.

The first will start in Leazes Park 30 minutes before kick-off and the second will take place under the Milburn Stand after the final whistle.
    The 10 games which will settle relegation
    A website Sack Ashley.com has been set up by the same supporters behind the loud and vocal Sack Pardew campaign earlier in the season, which played a big role in former manager Alan Pardew’s decision to quit in January to take charge of Crystal Palace.

“Whether people choose to boycott or attend the match, apathy is no longer a viable option,” the Ashley Out campaign leaders said on their website.
    “AshleyOut.com will actively participate in this boycott and promote any such action, endeavouring to provide materials, manpower and publicity. This is a perfect example of the sort of direct action AshleyOut.com always planned to encourage and support. We will work alongside all supporters and supporter representatives to ensure the protest is successful.
    “We would like to invite you to join us for a visual and audible protest in Leazes Park starting 30 minutes before kick-off (3:30pm) and continuing until full-time, followed by a post-game protest under the Milburn Stand, for which protest materials will be provided.
    “While encouraging as many as possible to participate, our primary motivation will always be to unite fans in action against Ashley both inside and outside the stadium.
    “Each of us has our own personal motivation for deciding to join the boycott of this particular game as a form of protest or not and we respect that. If you feel you cannot miss the game for whatever reason, but sympathise with our protest, we would encourage you to join us for the pre-match protest at the Leazes End, where we can provide you with protest materials to express your discontent with Mike Ashley inside the stadium, and to join us for the post game protest under the Milburn Stand.”
    The boycott and protests have also received the support of the Newcastle United Supporters Trust, who released the following statement on its website.
    “We are aware of a new supporters group Ashleyout.com which wishes for the removal of Mike Ashley as the owner of Newcastle United. NUST believe in supporter representation/ownership and we have tried to engage the club for years to no avail.
    “We understand why supporters are so frustrated that they see such action as necessary. While it is not our campaign, we support action that is intended to bring about change in ownership of the club particularly if it ultimately results in increased supporter representation/ownership.”
    This is not the first time Newcastle supporters have tried a more militant approach to put pressure on Ashley to end his eight-year reign. However, the number of supporters involved in the past has been in the hundreds rather than thousands and Ashley has found it easy to ignore the hostility towards him.
    Ashley cannot ignore relegation fears
    Ashley has put the club up for sale twice in the past and been unable to find a buyer. He also banned the three local papers on Tyneside last season for their coverage of protests against him, although the ban has since been lifted.
    Newcastle released a statement in September last year in response to a story in Telegraph Sport revealing Ashley wanted to buy Rangers in Scotland insisting the billionaire would not sell the club “for any price” until 2016 “at the earliest.”

Captain Hindsight likes this.
  2. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

I'm not going.

lady-eleanor likes this.
  3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

<laugh> Here we go again. <doh>

Rick O'Shea likes this.
  4. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

Maybe it's due to being down in Hampshire or maybe I've just not let football take as big a hold on me as some but the protests just don't bother me in any way.
    I'll admit I've never been the most hardcore fan, not going to too many games, but have stood by my decision to support Newcastle for over 20 years. This sort of action, in my opinion, just makes us look petty.

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'd have been interest if it said boycoutt :emoticon-0142-happy.

They've been trying to drum up support for this for the last 5 years, whether we are going ok or badly. There must have been about 15 games or so mentioned at various times through social media etc etc. It never happens. There was one or two earlier this season wasn't there? Hull was one such game for sure. They couldn't make their minds up, some wanted to boycott, some wanted to protest. In the end it was as limp as Obi's knob during intercourse. There was still nearly 50k, the protests were wet as **** and Ashley sat there grinning and giving the thumbs up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29187314

He's got the club by the balls and isn't letting go. He will just ride out any **** storm. Worse still, you'll never get enough people to take part to even make him half take notice.

6. Brian Storm

Haven't you got like 40k season card holders? He's already got your money, Ashley won't give a ****.

7. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

There will be the same support there as always. Maybe a little under but nothing to concern fat bollocks.

8. Warmir Pouchov

I don't even think that matters. How much revenue does it actually account for in the grand scheme of things? Fair enough if it was sustained say 15k crowds till the end of the season, but then it would just draw a load of attention to his advertising <laugh>

9. Brian Storm

Very true. There's **** all you can do apart from finding a buyer. Still think getting a passionate front man to lead a consortium is your best chance of getting shot.

10. Heed

Heed well known cheat

is this the same lot that were instrumental in Pardew doing a runner and Carver ending up in charge of team affairs?

11. Warmir Pouchov

Yeah but Pardew is taking Palace down isn't he? I'm sure I was told he would.

12. Heed

Heed well known cheat

I've noticed that.
    BTW, have I predicted the Liverpool score tonight.

13. Warmir Pouchov

Can't remember I think you went 24-2 to Blackburn and I went 2-1 to Liverpool...

I'm pretty sure we all predicted ages ago. I just checked my fantasy and doom (fantasy terrible so changes made), forgot all about the FA Cup one.

14. Heed

Heed well known cheat

I missed the prediction Doom at the weekend, so have a bit catching up to do.
    For some mystifying reason I put Austin in and made him captain and got 42 points.
    That's jammy.

15. Alan Partridge

This hardly paints an attractive prospect to any potential buyers.

16. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Always supposing he is actively looking to sell.
    As you say, not an attractive prospect that could actually do the opposite of the original intent and cause Ashley to remain longer if no buyers are forthcoming.

17. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ashley Out(.com)! Right on! Power to the people!

2 things here: 1, Ashley already knows most fans hate him and want him to go. He has known this for a good 5 years now but COULD. NOT. GIVE. A. ****. 2, he will not **** off because the attendance at SJP drops for one game. He will **** off if a multi-billionaire/consortium comes to him and offers him (probably now) c. £350m for the club. Even then he may think that keeping the club is more beneficial to his main business interests.

Will I be boycotting the Spurs game. Of course. I chucked the season ticket in last season and (foolishly) have attended one game this season. I'm not really trying prove anything to Mike Ashley by doing that, it's just that I've had enough. It doesn't even need to be the end for Ashley - he just needs to prove to me/other fans that there is a will to do as well as we can on the pitch; to aspire to win a trophy; to just ****ing try!

18. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Here lies the catch 22.
    Doing nowt is not an Option as that has been tried.
    It's the doing what which stimulates the debate.

19. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Ashley will do what he always does, and come out on top. I am cynically believing he will let this club fail and get relegated, then sell it. He could sell the club for a "knockdown" £130m, essentially breaking even on his purchase, and restructure the loan so it exists at a low, one-time-only rate whereby he has vested interest in advertising, club shop, merchandise, etc.

In terms of what "fans" should do about it, first things first - stop considering yourself part of a collective that must swim together called "fans". You're a fan, singular, and a human being. This means the only one ultimately looking out for you is you. It also means you can think for yourself. in essence you should do precisely what you want and what is best for you, your loved ones and your bank balance, when it comes to NUFC. "We" can do fck all about real issues, like Poverty, crime, politicians, Non-Doms, privatisation of the NHS, over-crowding, low employment, higher cost of living, supermarket profits, capitalism, the stock exchange and the super-rich. What will "we" do to effect 90 minutes of football, once a week?

20. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Stimulates what debate, with whom? Fans talk about the club anyway. Other people don't care, and the media lap it up as it's yet another episode in the NUFC soap opera.

And what is the 'doing' exactly? Fans (mostly on social media) need to stop thinking they are so important and have a say in the running of the club. They do not. Overall I think this kind of protest doesn't do anything for the good of the club. Just let people drift away naturally if that's what they want as individuals. These so called organised efforts, such as the sackpardew.com idiots and the coffin carriers, are an embarrassment to the club IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.