1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Broadband Speeds

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Plum, Jul 30, 2017.

1. bashdabish

bashdabish Member

Sorry mate, didn't mean to confuse you. What I have suggested are two very different solutions. For ease option 1 all the way, just not if you are a keen online gamer in the conservatory.

1. Wireless powerlines - These come in a set of two. You plug one into the power socket near your router and the other in your conservatory IF it's on the same ring mains. If not, then plug in as close to your conservatory as you can get assuming the adjoining room is on the same ring mains. This would run internet around your ring mains and provide a strong wireless signal in the area around your conservatory. I originally thought you had said the conservatory was not on the same ring mains but I may have confused you with another post.

2. External run of Cat5 - needs to be right, wouldn't recommend getting cable with ends already made as it means a bigger hole to drill to get the end through, which would then have to be filled/sealed. I have done it a few times before but fitted network points either end. These are basically sockets that you plug into. Once done they are very effective and very neat.

askewshair, PLT and Eric Le Merde like this.
  2. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

And this is why I love Not 606!
    Thanks fellas for your advice. Think I'm gonna go for the wireless powerline once I establish the lay out of my ring main.

3. askewshair

Ermm my posts are quality PLT :emoticon-0105-wink:

4. askewshair

I do have a bit of time on my hands so am going to run a cable. I have come to the conclusion it will be quicker/ more cost effective/ and more reliable (ie will it make a difference) than powerlines??

I know this wasn't answering my question, but have the same issue. Seems I probably lost my 5ghz wireless when upgrading to windows 10. Is it worth reinstalling drivers as sounds like that is a fix. I have installed drivers manually a while ago, but not totally confident.

Excuse the non technical descriptions!!

5. GlassHalfHull

GlassHalfHull Well-Known Member

I've got power line running to two rooms to connect an ethernet cable to a PC, and a wireless extender on the landing. All are from TP Link via Amazon warehouse deals and they work well for the price. They're "pass through" devices so you can still use the mains socket for something else.

I work for a telecoms company and use Virgin for my broadband with Sky's free service as backup. No provider is perfect, and there is too much "postcode lottery" in what service you get. It's a bit like living in Brid and having to accept that if you are ill your hospital options are Scarborough and Hull. It's far from perfect and at some point you might prefer to move house to get what you want.

askewshair likes this.
  6. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

. oops, wrong thread<doh>

7. kirkellatiger

kirkellatiger Well-Known Member

Question for anybody technical - I have Lighstream and there are 2 connections. There's a normal connection which I'm using and a "5G" connection.
    What's the 5G connection for and which connection is best?

8. GlassHalfHull

GlassHalfHull Well-Known Member

5G is faster but doesn't always give you as good a connection. Some devices can't connect to 5G.

9. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Roughly what he said, but there's no guarantee 5GHz will be any faster in real terms.

10. bashdabish

bashdabish Member

Running Ethernet cable is 100% the best way, but not as easy as powerlines. Would have to be external CAT5e minimum for current fibre speeds. Gives you options as well because you don't have to move the fibre router if you don't want to, you could just pop a normal wireless router at the end of the ethernet run and have a bigger wireless range across your home. Normal fibre router at front giving front of home coverage, then another wireless router at rear giving rear of house coverage.

To answer your question about the 5ghz, it depends on if the wireless adapter installed is 5ghz capable. Wireless AC is the best and typical standard these days so buying a usb wireless ac adapter might be better. I would even suggest you try that first before running the ethernet as it may well improve your speeds. Typically, 2.4ghz has a better wireless range but slower throughput speeds whereas 5ghz has shorter wireless range but higher throughput speeds. However, and this is the bit I think others are missing here, it depends on WHY your 2.4ghz is running slower. Is it the distance/walls etc or is it too many competing devices on 2.4ghz. Baby monitors, cordless phones and even microwaves use the same frequency, then throw in other 2.4ghz routers and it's a nightmare. You can tweak the wireless channel but there are only 3 wireless channels that don't cross over (1, 6 & 11) and the chances are pretty slim that nothing else is on them. In this case 5ghz can have an immediate impact, and an added bonus of having much more wireless channels that do not cross over.

Hope that helps

PLT likes this.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Pfft, everyone knows that. :emoticon-0114-dull:

askewshair likes this.
  12. askewshair

That's really helpful thanks. I went to Maplins earlier to look at their prices. They were slating the router KCom provide and were telling me the only way to improve the speed would be to buy a new one! I was totally confused. Your post has given me some clarity.
    Definitely going for running the Ethernet cable. I do have a 'normal wireless' router kicking around so will play around with that option.
    I guess the 'distance/walls etc or is it too many competing devices' would then no longer be an issue, so don't intend to reinstall drivers to get 5GHZ.
    Again cheers for your patience with a prehistoric technophobe!

13. bashdabish

bashdabish Member

No problem fella

14. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A shop that sells routers was telling you that you should buy one instead of just getting a relatively cheap cable or two. Fancy that.*

*You might need to to solve the problem, but given that's not the way anybody else has gone for several pages and they hadn't seen your existing network either I'm guessing their sales targets are a motivation.

15. BillyBobBallbag

BillyBobBallbag Well-Known Member

Just had an outage on pure, looked on wesite, text the number, instant reply, update and apology
    Back up within ten min,

16. askewshair

Probably and that is exactly why I posted on here. Like you, I have zero trust in any salesman.
    Having said that, none of the experts on here has said they are wrong since I posted it.

17. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

They're wrong <ok>

askewshair likes this.
  18. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

for me at least
    choosing to run an external cat is a 'big job'

i'd honestly try a wifi booster first, can get them for £15 ish.. it plugs into a socket and 'boosts' your wifi acting as a virtual cable

if you are considering doing the external cable job, the £15 ain't much to pay
    if you do the external job, then you need to splice the cable yourself, then put the cable mount onto the wall at both ends, it's a very good thing to do but it's more work etc.. drilling holes into your house from the outside

but like the guy said earlier, it's way more hassle to use prebuilt cables, because the hole will be way bigger

19. ToxicPond

ToxicPond Member

20. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Has anyone with a problem tried turning their router on and off?

Generous as I am I don't charge for this advice.