1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burton Albion v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Feb 17, 2017.

?

PREDICT THE RESULT

Poll closed Feb 18, 2017.
  1. Brewers Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Canaries Win

78.3%
  3. Stalemate

21.7%
  1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Dave we only have 1 (one) left back and he's on loan to us and 1 (one) right back with Whittaker cover for both positions.
    If Jerome gets injured too then we only have Lafferty .

We have tons of midfielders though .<doh>

JM Fan likes this.
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should have held on to Toffolo for left-back cover, oh hang on, he got sent off today!

3. canary-dave

Perhaps we should have won today, but equally, Everton should have beaten Coventry in 1985. Guess what? They bloody didn't!

Football is a funny old game, most of the fun is watching the histrionics of the over expectants! <laugh>

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From the BBC match report - "Timm Klose's error gifted Albion the lead as Lasse Vigen Christensen nicked possession and squared for fellow Fulham loanee Cauley Woodrow to tap in. City levelled when Steven Whittaker's wild shot deflected in off Cameron Jerome for his 11th goal of the season.
    But Kightly grabbed a stylish winner, flicking the ball past Russell Martin before lifting a shot over John Ruddy."

Oh well, I wonder if 1p5wich might sneak a win next Sunday????

5. DUNCAN DONUTS

Our season is pretty much over and we will probably have to sell most of our better players , ****ing hilarious. <yikes>

6. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

My feelings are similar, JMF. I can't see a way back after that flat performance. The only ones who seemed up to scratch today were Jerome (7.7), Wildschut (7.2), Dijks (6.8), Howson (6.7) and Martin (6.7), though Josh Murphy managed a 6.4 rating in his refreshing 27 minutes on the pitch. Those ratings are from Whoscored according to what each contributed. Ironically Klose was our highest scoring player up until his error that lead to the first goal and he ended up on 5.9.

Like you, I'd like to see us rebuilding the team over the rest of the season to prepare for next season. That means giving younger players more chance to break into the first team and develop experience for the future. The Murphys, Maddison, Godfrey are the obvious ones, but others should get their chance as well. I'd love to see Dijks staying, but I can't see it happening.

JM Fan likes this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

ALL the more reason to start giving the better youff players their chance. <ok>

8. canary-dave

Absolutely JM and what a shame our "better players" were not good enough today!

JM Fan likes this.
  9. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

And your excuse for all the other times Dave?

10. canary-dave

Mostly player error from players who should know better! We all moaned when he dropped Klose a while back and look who gifted them the first goal!

If we blame AN for not picking Klose, we can hardly blame him for picking him!

11. Forgot_My_Lines

I didn't.

12. canary-dave

I didn't say you did, I am still a huge fan of Timm, even Jesus made mistakes! ;)

13. Forgot_My_Lines

Yea, if he hadn't been arrogantly boasting about his carpentery skills, they never would have made him that wooden cross!

14. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Trouble with that arguement is it isn't a one off. We are regularly losing or drawing games we should be winning and having been doing so for the last 2 seasons. Yes you expect the odd upset, but not consistent upset's.

JM Fan and KIO like this.
  15. carrowcanario

I predicted before the game that injuries would be used as an excuse if we lost. Trouble with that arguement is we have a much bigger squad than Burton and supposedly better quality in depth. The other thing is even though we do have a lot of injuries, most of our strongest starting 11 were available. How many of those injured would have been guaranteed to start if they had been fit?, Pinto, other than that ?

16. carrowcanario

All players make mistakes and shouldn't be punished for the occasional mistake by non selection the following game. Klose has saved our arse many more times than he's condemned us. Trouble is with AN if you're a favourite you can make many more mistakes than non-favourites. Anyway we should have been strong enough to win the game even after Klose's mistake.

17. RiverEndRick

I agree with that Canario. Mistakes will always happen in football and we had plenty of time after that mistake to come back and equalise. DD will come on here about my criticism of Oliveira's red card. For me that wasn't a football mistake, it was an unprofessional act which IMO cost us that game by going down to 10 men, and it also cost us an in-form striker for the next 3 games. The irony also was that Klose was by far our best defender up to the mistake, dominating their attacking players. IMO, he should certainly start against Ipswich.

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  18. DUNCAN DONUTS

How do you know Oliveira would be selected in those 3 games by Neil ?.
    What about the other games before and after "the Oliveira red card" that we either failed to turn up for or choked between yesterday and October ?.
    I have noticed a formula if we concede first we don't win and if we are playing away we have about 77% chance of not winning other than Forest but we were playing 10 men and given a penalty that game.
    We can't come back to win a game and we only play well at home.
    We could win all our home games scoring wonder goals like Barcelona but if we can't beat anyone away then we won't progress.

19. RiverEndRick

Not quite sure what your point is DD. The first goal certainly played into their hands yesterday as it allowed them to defend in depth and breakaway for the rest of the match. The same was true at Rotherham. On the other hand, we scored first at Cardiff and then dominated the game. The first goal is vital, especiaqlly in away games.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. DUNCAN DONUTS

If we concede first we don't come back to win the game other than the game against Forest when they played against 10 men.
    We don't do comebacks and have lost or drawn many from winning positions.

The Oliveira red card fixation is still puzzling me especially as in the 3 games that he was banned we actually accrued 7 points beating Derby Cardiff (away) & drawing against Wigan.

: CanaryCall