1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burton v QPR ( Friendly )

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jul 26, 2016.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink looks ahead to this evening’s friendly against Burton Albion ...

JIMMY Floyd Hasselbaink will take his side to familiar surroundings this evening as the Hoops head up to Burton Albion to play a pre-season friendly against his old club.

The Brewers were the big surprise package of League One last season when they remarkably secured back-to-back promotions following a second place finish behind champions Wigan Athletic.

The side from East Staffordshire were in the Unibond League just 14 years ago, which highlights just how far they’ve come in such a short space of time.

Undoubtedly Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink played a major part in Burton’s success, securing promotion to League One and leaving the yellows top of the league before becoming manager of the R's in December 2015. Nigel Clough has since continued the fine work after he was appointed as JFH's successor.

Built on a fantastic team ethic and strong defence, Burton conceded the fewest goals in League One last season and are certainly a difficult side to break down.

They lost one of their best attacking players earlier this summer as Mark Duffy moved to Sheffield United on a free transfer but have strengthened with the addition of forward Chris O’Grady on loan from Brighton & Hove Albion and Australian midfielder Jackson Irvine, who was bought from Ross County for a club record fee. They’ve also added to their defensive ranks bringing in Kyle McFadzean from MK Dons and Ben Turner from Cardiff City.

Clough’s men have been in good form this pre-season, securing victories over Leek Town, Stoke City, Kidderminster and Matlock Town. Their only hiccup was a 1-0 loss away to Exeter City.

Speaking to www.qpr.co.uk, Hasselbaink has stated that he is expecting his players to be 100 per-cent concentrated for this evening’s game.

He said: It’s a strange feeling to be going back but it’s one of those things that you deal with in football. They’ve done extremely well to get promotion and for me to go back and see some friendly faces is going to be nice, but most important for me and the players is that we are fully concentrated on going there to play a game.”

And the Rangers boss is adamant that despite only being friendlies, the next couple of games are vital in terms of preparation for the new season, which is now just 12 days away: “For me it’s very important," he said.

"You want to improve and work on certain things and you want to see how we develop and see if the team is getting it. It is also very important for players to get their fitness up.

“We want to improve, it will be tough I know that. I know them and they are hardworking honest bunch of players who are going to give us a good test."

But the R’s chief was not giving too much away in terms of team selection. Asked whether we will be able to read much into the players that start at the Pirelli Stadium, the manager’s response was short and sharp: “No, I don’t.”

Tonight’s fixture also has something riding on it as the two clubs are competing for the local Bass Charity Vase Trophy.

The Bass Charity Vase was founded in Burton in 1889 and is a football competition where the proceeds from the game go towards medical related and hospital charities.

Tickets will be available to purchase cash only from the main ticket office at Burton Albion. The prices are as follows: £15 all adults and £10 under-17s. Please note, supporters purchasing under-17 tickets will be required to show proof of ID at the turnstiles on match day.

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/2...ndly-preview-3206013.aspx#8OtgwytRJD7ByrXk.99

Hunger Games actress Willow Shields spotted in her QPR suit in Burton Town centre.

NorwayRanger, KPDHoopster and UTRs like this.
  2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Burton had the meanest defence in League One last season. Coupled with our lack of goals this could well be another 0-0.

3. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

So on our bench is Moha El Ouriachi...remember him...no I don't either. He was the Barcelona winger Stoke bought last year...
    Loan, buy...excited...another Adel...same as El-K
    so many questions

4. Bush Rhino

Bush Rhino Well-Known Member

I remember when Tony was a "fan" and would ensure preseason was steamed for fan's all round the globe. Really got us invested in the team/squad. Guess they don't need us that interested.

I was wondering what it used to cost to stream a match on ustream these days?

Just checked and barring the video costs ustream would do it for between $99 and $999, I wonder if the play off flag was the final attempt and appeasing us. Mr Hoo's is really cutting costs.....

Now what are we paying Sandro this week??????

5. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

No Cousins,hope his knock isn't too bad !

6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

7. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

Stoke City winger Moha El Ouriachi is among QPR’s substitutes for their friendly against boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink’s former club Burton this evening.

El Ouriachi, 20, was with Barcelona prior to being signed by Stoke last year. He is yet to make his first-team debut for the Potters but was an unused substitute for two matches in April.

Meanwhile, as expected summer signings Jake Bidwell and Joel Lynch are in the Rangers starting line-up after recovering from minor injuries.

But fellow new signing Jordan Cousins misses out after going off with a groin injury during the second half of Friday’s friendly at Wycombe.

QPR: Smithies, Perch, Onuoha, Lynch, Bidwell, Henry, Doughty, Petrasso, Luongo, El Khayati, Washington.

Subs: Ingram, Chery, Gladwin, Emmanuel-Thomas, El Ouriachi, Polter, Kpekawa, Furlong, Shodipo.

8. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

I am really expecting Conor to score tonight...this is where he starts to come good!

9. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Personally I'm looking forward to the "Washington isn't good enough, let's spend £10m on a striker" posts when he doesn't score against Leeds.

10. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Even though this is only a friendly, shouldn't we be seeing the start eleven for the MASSIVE game? Or, I suppose, the Watford game will be the eleven. This is going to be a 0-0, isn't it?
    Looking forward to seeing the Stokealona boy. Hope we have already signed him.

11. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Not much to get excited about there, a defeat would be the last thing we need at this stage with only Watford to come before the start...

12. Totallyqpr

I want to see our blue/White hoops!!!!

13. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

5 minutes in Doughty down injured

14. Totallyqpr

Burton have standing areas on Three sides of the ground. Is this allowed in the Championship? If it is why don't we have the lower loft, paddocks and lower west end as standing? (0-0?)

15. peter1954qpr

1st effort to Burton good save smithies

16. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

2nd good save by Smithies...
    Tweets say we are awful in possession tonight..not looking good

17. peter1954qpr

18. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

1-0 Ned header...

19. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

From Doughty cross

20. rajman

rajman Active Member

Goal by Onuoha - big deflection but against the run of play. We haven't been very good to be honest.